Options

Confused about starting out on an IT career

gatlingatlin Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello my name is James, I'm 29 and I am currently working in Ireland in the construction industry but I can see that in about 4-6 weeks I will lose my job. I have been working in construction for 12 years but the work is really drying up over here and there has been over 600k lost jobs in the construction sector over the last 5 years so chances of being hired in another job is slim. I know all my skills are almost useless now but I have built computers for family and friends from scratch saving loads of money for everyone and when ever there is a computer problem normally I am the first port of call for advice or help.

I feel I would have a good basic computer knowledge in terms of components and I have been checking online for free courses available in Ireland and I have come up with a list.

Cisco Interconnecting Network Devices parts 1&2
CompTIA Network+
Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
CompTIA A+
Java Programming S.E.6
Flash CS3
Flash CS4
Dreamweaver CS3
Dreamweaver CS4
Windows Server 2003 Managing a Server Environment
Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration

These are all free when I become unemployed, I have looked at the CompTIA A+ and it seems pretty straight forward and basic computer knowledge. Could anyone possibly advise me on if any of these courses are helpful in trying to start out on an IT career and what order I would do these courses. I looked at the Java programming course aswell but it seemed a little complicated for me at my current level.

I have also tried to locate an IT career path example for someone starting out on an IT career and I have struggled to find one although when looking I found this great place! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion, I would skip over the courses covering Flash and Dreamweaver. I think your primary focus right now should be A+, you should feel comfortable with some of the material in there if you've built computers before. I think ALL of those courses will be beneficial to you at some point or another. I think you should focus on laying the foundation of your IT knowledge and then building to some of the more advanced topics. A+ and N+ will be great to build that foundation.

The general progression in an IT career is based on where your interest lies. If you decide to go with the Microsoft route, you will probably start in a help desk answering phone calls. Eventually you may move up into a desktop support role or Systems Administration role. Many times following the Microsoft route can stem into different areas as well. (Exchange,SCCM, etc.) Others here may be able to weigh in a little bit more on the Cisco side but I would think you'd go from NOC > Network Administration > Network Engineering. Essentially, you should try to find your niche and go with it. Hopefully this has been informative, feel free to ask any other questions I'll be glad to try and help out.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I would start with A+ then focus hard on getting a entry level job some where. Once you get in and learn the ropes start focusing on something specialized like Cisco Interconnecting Network Devices parts 1&2 which will equal the CCNA if you sit for the test. Or if you want to be on the server side check the Microsoft pro level certs...
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice I was going to start the CompTIA A+ as my first choice course, when it comes to the second part I'm not so sure as the pre requisite for the CompTIA Network+ states, It is recommended that CompTIA Network+ candidates have at least nine months of experience in network support or administration or adequate academic training, along with a CompTIA A+ certification.

Where as on the Cisco Interconnecting Network Devices the pre requisite states Learners must have an understanding of basic networking concepts and Cisco technologies. Which one would be the better for a first timer so to speak?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've recommended going vendorless (A+, N+), but there's people that will bite my head off for recommending it as well as recommending it. CCENT will cover the basics, but you won't get any host troubleshooting... Which is where us entry-guys start out with, touching the host computers.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HTML5, Object C (Cocoa touch) or Java for Androids. (If you are interested in development)

A+ N+ CCNA MCTS Windows 7 if you are interested in helpdesk/Noc
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice I can't wait to get started.
  • Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi & Welcome,

I would start with the A+ then N+.

Have look at this link hopefully it can help: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png.

Regards

Rob
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Kopite_21 wrote: »
    Hi & Welcome,

I would start with the A+ then N+.

Have look at this link hopefully it can help: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png.

Regards

Rob

I don't think I've seen this before, thanks for the link