Home LAN questions

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Easiest way to set up all your home machines so you can RDP into them?
  • Does Apple devices pose a problem like IPADS and Smart phones.
  • Is there software out there so you can remote into them.
  • Is MS Home server a nice option to connect all your devices together? My friend says he loves it and I was thinking about adding additional ram to my desktop and buying a license of home server. Thanks for offering any advice.

Comments

• TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    For External RDP, the easiest is to setup a DYNDNS or No-IP account, unless the ISP gives you a static IP. Then all you need to do is configure port forwarding on your router and enable remote desktop on your computers.

For Internal I just enable remote desktop and have each PC set with a static IP and just remember which one is which, then RDP to it.

No idea about IOS, Google would probably have some ideas.

Home Server is fine. You could also look at Hyper-V or ESXi if your hardware supports it and have access to Microsoft Server licenses.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    RDP into them from outside your home network? Or RDP into another machine on your home network from a machine that is also on your home network?

I have experienced issues with mobile devices and wireless routers. My Linksys 330N used to crap out on me after a few minutes if I turned Wi-Fi on my Droid X and used it. Haven't used it in a while though.

Software to remote into what, iOS devices? You would want to do this because?

MS Home Server is nice if you're most comfortable with Windows. Otherwise there's a dozen or more ways to skin that cat.
  • thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use home server at home and I love it. It supports all of my media streaming to 3 HTPC's, but also gives easy remote access to your PC's and files.

Sure there is other ways and we are all tech people here, but it was really easy to set up and forget about.
    Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    On the iPad i use PocketCloud for RDP. Works smooth.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Here's an article I wrote about setting up RDP, it addresses all security issues too: How to set up and SECURE Remote Desktop

I don't know if you can remote into iOS devices, but you can download an app called "iTap RDP" to remote into your Windows systems from iOS.. it's pretty awesome, it costs like 12 bucks but I use it daily.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great information as usual. Thanks a lot.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would recommend setting up a PPTP VPN on your Windows server. You can VPN in and then RDP to any machines. Better than having RDP wide open on the firewall.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i use a server on a nettop (one of those little atom based pcs) with clearos on it, setup as a vpn/file server also setup a shell script to email me daily the external ip addy, then i use vnc/ssh on each system depending on the os

and ofc setup the router for port fwds
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This is exactly what I do. I can VPN to my home server (Running SBS 2011: Standard) and the connect to any one of my home machines. It's more secure, IMO, and works just as good.

Also, I like using TeamViewer. It freaks the hell out of my wife and kids. But, at least they get to see me via video and I can spy on them. :) They see the popup that I'm connected and they get happy and start chatting away.

But, for business (and not for chatting), the VPN to server is the best option that ninja man rsutton suggested.

rsutton wrote: »
    I would recommend setting up a PPTP VPN on your Windows server. You can VPN in and then RDP to any machines. Better than having RDP wide open on the firewall.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    What software (client and server) are you guys using for setting up your VPNs?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    What software (client and server) are you guys using for setting up your VPNs?
    openvpn in clearos

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »

How challenging is this to set up?
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    How challenging is this to set up?

Not challenging at all. Can be done in a few minutes. Hardest part will be configuring the NAT rules on your firewall.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PPTP is extremely insecure -- RDP encryption is stronger. The only advantage is that RDP is more accessible way to DoS or brute force a system. But given that PPTP provides almost no security and adds overhead, I can't see recommending it. At least use L2TP, SSTP, or another modern protocol.

That said, are you really looking to use RDP, specifically? Because a LogMeIn Free account is a better, easier option in my opinion. You setup an account, install it on your systems, and you're done. You can access them from pretty much any web browser or modern smartphone/tablet. It's secure, fast, and very usable. Keep in mind, RDP has a few features the free LogMeIn doesn't have. Pocket Cloud is a great free RDP app, but LogMeIn Ignition is not free, which is a minus.

If you're really ambitious, you could setup an RD Gateway server, but that's really not intended for a home network. You can also setup RDP to one system, then bounce from that to the others, but setting up specific NAT rules or a VPN is probably preferable to that. Setting up a VPN wouldn't be too difficult, but I really have to stress that PPTP is not a good choice.

I have a co-worker who uses and loves HomeServer. It's not for me, but I won't knock it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A quick and easy solution is to simply setup an ssh server on a host on the LAN and then setup port forwarding to access each host.