Options

need advice

eruptioneruption Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the A+ HW exam a few weeks ago. I'm studying for the OS exam now, but I've only had in depth experience with Windows Millenium Edition, which is what I have on my only computer that I got in 2001.

I would like to obtain a copy of NT, 2000, and XP but I don't know the best way to do this given the fact I have only one computer. It has a PIII with 512 MB of PC133 RAM and a 20GB hard drive.

My plan was to purchase or otherwise obtain one or two more computers to install the other OSs on. I've been wanting to buy a new laptop anyway, so I might end up getting that soon as well. My intention is to also practice with setting up a home network using these computers, preferably wirelessly. I figure this would be good experience for when I start studying for the Net+ exam.

So, I need advice on how I should go about accomplishing this and to start I'll ask a few questions...

1) Will it be possible to network computers that run different operating systems?

2) Which OSs should I use for a dual boot? NT/2000 or 2000/XP or NT/Me or 2000/Me or Me/XP... yadda yadda...

3) And, which versions should I get? I know there's NT Server/Workstation, 2000 Professional/Server, and XP Home/Professional...

I just want all of the computers to be able to network together to share my cable internet connection and my printer.

I'd probably want to use XP as my main OS on the machine that will be used for everyday purposes, which will be my laptop if I get it. The rest of the computers and operating systems will just be for learning purposes and to have some fun playing with setting up a network in my apartment....

Any advice will be appreciated. EVen if you think the idea is ridiculous or a waste of time, please say so because I'd rather know that before I waste my time and money.
I've passed MCSA by being a TK'ing lamer... 290 and 291 I don't deserve to have passed... What's a stub zone? The area between my legs? Yes, because I'm an a$$fu<ker! It's time to repent...

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    WOW! Lots of information....

FIrst, Welcome :)

You may want to consider MS Vitual PC As this may resolve your need to obtain additional hardware..then again...you may want all that hardware for practice.

(For you #3 question)
    Regarding the OS's to practice with...the more the better :) However, for the A+ exam:
    Win9x/ME
    WinNT Workstation
    W2K Pro
    WXP

You may obtain trail software through MS PRess books, their website, etc.. you may need to pay for shipping, but if you are not going to use the software to 'work' just for study, it is less expensive to go this route.

(for #1)
    Yes

(for #2)
    See the above link for virtual PC or.
    Any combo you listed is possible....Are you looking at trying to have multiple multi-boot systems running? I'd lean toward Virtual PC for space and less confusion.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    eruptioneruption Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info!

The Virtual PC route seems like a good idea, but I'll probably get some additional hardware anyway. Most likely some old used computers and maybe upgrade them for fun.

Anyway, if I have NT, Me, 2000, and XP all on my one computer and use Virtual PC, do I still need to use FAT16 in order for all of them to be installed? Or, does Virtual PC let me get around this? If not, would you recommend leaving out Windows Me so I could use NTFS? I do plan on buying a laptop, so I could just put the other three on there and leave Me on my current machine. Also, how about when I switch from one OS to another when I'm using software or hardware that isn't supported by the OS I switch to?

I'll go do some research myself after I post this and maybe I'll answer my own questions. I appreciate your help though.

Thanks much,

Rob
    I've passed MCSA by being a TK'ing lamer... 290 and 291 I don't deserve to have passed... What's a stub zone? The area between my legs? Yes, because I'm an a$$fu<ker! It's time to repent...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hi Rob,

I believe Virtual PC will handle all that you want/need to do for practice.

It states you can virtually run all x86 OS's:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/vpcdemo.html
    Win95
    Win98
    WinME
    WinNT workstation
    Win2000 Pro
    WinXP
    MS-DOS6.22
    WIndowsServer 2003
    OS/2 Warp ver 4
    Linux
    Novel Netware

You may also want to check HERE for tips/tweaks doesn't seem cert related, but likely to have uncovered various 'bugs'.

Since you install Vitural PC 2004 on a XP or 2000 Pro box, you'll be in NTFS or FAT32 anyway (hopefully NTFS). This is what YOUR system runs on....the other programs are going to ACT like they are running i.e. virtually running, but not actually running....confusing, but it is more of a pseudo-OS.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?