Options

Study Plan

thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hoping to get some quick guidance from all the experienced around here.

I am going to start at WGU on March 1 and I really need to find a better way to study. I have struck out on many of my last tries for MS tests because in the end I guess I just was not prepared. I am going to school while my wife is in school, we have a new family addition coming beginning of May, we have a little one already and I work full time. With all of that I really need to be efficient with my studies.

How does everyone around here study, pick a book and read it or map out the objectives and study each one? I really just need some new thinking on all of this.

Thanks!
Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.

Comments

• Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I'm in a similar situation. People always say you have to invest in yourself first, so for me I realize that I'm most alert and focused in the morning, so I go to bed at 9 PM or earlier, get up at 4:30 and study for several hours. After dinner I just mostly look over notes w/o any studying.

When I was younger I used to get up at 8 and be at work at 9. I realized that I was giving my employer my best hours, but they didn't know or appreciate that effort. Now I still get to my office desk before 9 AM, but by then I have already given myself 3+ hours of studying.

Sometimes I would pick up something from the books and got to apply it right away at work. The boss and peers were usually impressed that way (advanced Excel tricks, etc...)

The wife is very appreciative and understanding of my school commitment. She has picked up some hobbies including baking, so I'm both her test subject and beneficiary of her skills. Win-win situation.

/end of rant. I guess all I'm trying to say is the early bird gets the worm.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I agree, I am better studying in the morning than in the evenings. What works for me is the 50/10/50 method.

Basically 50 minutes of reading, note taking, etc. Then take a 10 minute break. Get away from the books or videos. Then go back at it for another 50 minutes, then youre done. I just find it easier this way. Usually in the evenings then I'll watch a video or two, or just go over the day's notes.

I also have been using the blank bubble test sheets for the end of chapter review questions. This way I can go back and look at what I got wrong at any time. There's several free PDFs online you can download if you wish to go this route as well.
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    thall860 wrote: »
    Hoping to get some quick guidance from all the experienced around here.

I am going to start at WGU on March 1 and I really need to find a better way to study. I have struck out on many of my last tries for MS tests because in the end I guess I just was not prepared. I am going to school while my wife is in school, we have a new family addition coming beginning of May, we have a little one already and I work full time. With all of that I really need to be efficient with my studies.

How does everyone around here study, pick a book and read it or map out the objectives and study each one? I really just need some new thinking on all of this.

Thanks!

My Studying at present Is mostly at work. Ie on My lunch break read and make notes. In quiet periods again read and make notes. Go home have tea and then a couple of hours plus on VM's going through Labs and strange ideas that pop into my head (I wonder if this will work or this will break that and how do I fix it) Labs normally ended by the missus coming up stairs and kicking me off the computer so she can go to bed.

However........

This is all due to change as we are expecting our first baby soon. icon_smile.gif

My plan for study is Get a new laptop with more power than my current one. Then at work study on my lunch break both reading and Labbing. This will slow down my studying some what as I know when Peanut is born sleep will be at a premium for quiet some time. icon_sad.gif

So I guess what am trying to say is work out what works best for you. I can't really get up earlier and study as I work 12 hr shifts. I also study on my days off when I can get away with it. But if you can get up early and be functional enough to study (Am not a morning person) then this may be the best option. Your brain is at its peak learning potental for the 1st 45 mins so try to study for say 50 mins like Bokeh has said then have a break and I mean move away from your books/computer and have a coffee and some fresh air for 5-10 mins Then get back to it for the same. Just remember not to burn yourself out. If you start feeling really tired from getting up earlyu all the time then have a break for a couple of days. Come back at it feeling refreshed.

Good luck in your studies and remenber keep smiling icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    thall860thall860 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Basically 50 minutes of reading, note taking, etc. Then take a 10 minute break. Get away from the books or videos. Then go back at it for another 50 minutes, then youre done.

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I will try this, I often feel when I am studying that too many other things are pulling at me so I think this would help with the break in the middle.
    Had all of my WGU courses but too much to keep up on. I am working at it, will let you know when finished.
  • Options
    JoeRobertsJoeRoberts Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Well I agree, I am better studying in the morning than in the evenings. What works for me is the 50/10/50 method.

Basically 50 minutes of reading, note taking, etc. Then take a 10 minute break. Get away from the books or videos. Then go back at it for another 50 minutes, then youre done. I just find it easier this way. Usually in the evenings then I'll watch a video or two, or just go over the day's notes.

I also have been using the blank bubble test sheets for the end of chapter review questions. This way I can go back and look at what I got wrong at any time. There's several free PDFs online you can download if you wish to go this route as well.

This is how I study also. The great thing about this is that my wife will not interrupt me during the 50 minutes unless it is something urgent. If she wants to talk to me, she just waits for the 10 minute break. It works out very well for us.