Any recommendations for a laptop lock?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Hi, I own a MacBook and live in a college dorm like environment, where my roommate often forgets to lock the door. Would hate to turn around one day and see my laptop missing my from desk.

I'm looking at getting a laptop lock for my MacBook. I found this one

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-ClickSafe-Keyed-Laptop-K64637WW/dp/B004433ZG0/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Any other recommendations?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I just came across this one. FRYS.com | SWANN COMMUNICATIONS USA
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I just came across this one. FRYS.com*|*SWANN COMMUNICATIONS USA

We had those at my last job. The only thing I didn't like is that it required batteries.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @JockVSJock:

What you displayed looks fine. They are unlikely to destroy your laptop in order to steal it since it really hurts the resale value ;) Just make sure you strap it to something firm. Could they use bolt cutters? Sure, if they want it badly.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you get any sort of renter's insurance that isn't dependent on your roommate locking the door? I would go that route and be vigilant. Also, maybe arrange your workspace to downplay your expensive items.

Oh, also, maybe you invest in a cheap decoy.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    ***BUMP***

I've gotten a new laptop, Sager brand.

I asked them about a physical lock and they recommended Kensington, however there are a number of types of locks that I see online. Can anyone help me narrow this down.

I will be locking it to a desk.

thanks

-unknown
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    It's just a matter of personal preference.

Keyed vs. combo
    T-bar vs. disk vs. other
    thinner diameter vs. thicker
    short cable vs. long cable
    coiled vs. uncoiled
    tamper evident vs. none present

Buy what you like. :)
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I also use Kensington.
    This is the model I have. Yours seem more expensive and probably is thicker.
    Amazon.com: Kensington 64068F MicroSaver Notebook Lock and Security Cable (PC/Mac): Electronics
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also have a kensington lock. They're pretty good.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I bought a Kensington once and it was all messed up. I couldn't get it to work at all and they make you go to the web to view a video on how to install the damn thing but the one I got was all sorts of screwed up. Bought a Targus and it works perfectly.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I use a Colt 1911. :)
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL! Now if you could only buy the ammo :P