Question about laptop battery

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Planning to buy a laptop just for travel, the battery spec is "6-cell Li-Ion 2.2 AHr". Is that a fair capacity?

It's Dell Inspiron 15 (n5040) for $400. Just need it for basic stuff...

Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop - Reviews and Specs | Dell Canada

Any ideas folks?

Comments

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Personally I have never been a fan of Dell computers. I recently picked up a Samsung and I'm loving it. Have you looked at net books?
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Planning to buy a laptop just for travel, the battery spec is "6-cell Li-Ion 2.2 AHr". Is that a fair capacity?

Any ideas folks?

That's average/below average depending on what you are holding in your lap. I prefer to go with HP because they have great extended battery options for most of their laptops and they also have lots of other accessories as well.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    binarysoul wrote: »

Any ideas folks?

I just got out of a Dell environment about 5 months ago and some of the smaller batteries kept crapping out, this was the case with Lenovo for the longest time as well.

I would suggest googling that laptop and seeing if you find some pros and cons. I know the 4200's, 4300's had faulty batteries, but the 4310's were fine. Same goes with the 6500 series. Those seemed to be fine.

As far as the battery itself goes that is a standard battery. Probably looking at 2-3 hours of battery life.

Here are some reviews

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-intel-n5040/pd
  • mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Dell 17R, which has a battery life of about 2-3 hours, 3 hours probably being a stretch. The screen is bigger, it's got a 7200RPM HD, and it's a quadcore, all things that greatly reduces battery life. It also have a 6 cell battery.

If you can, upgrade to a 9 cell, especially if you plan to travel a lot.