Options

I/O Memory Addresses?

eddiegpdxeddiegpdx Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I like the following site but before my mind explodes, how critical is memorizing the all the I/O Memory Addresses?

http://www.millbury.k12.ma.us/~hs/techrepair/IRQ.html

I have the IRQ's and 6 common (so I read) I/O's memorized by charting them, IDE 1/2 LPT 1/2, COM 1/2.

Any thought's? Everyone has been great and thank you!

ED

Comments

• Options
    ScriptXScriptX Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a whole i wouldnt say a large percentage of the test is on those addresses, but when i took it i was glad those were asked.. because honestly they threw a bunch of stuff at me that i had never heard ebfore and i was banking on the questions i did know. I have thought of a way to memorize the I/O addresses so listen up :P

Com1 and Com3 use odd I/O address
    Com2 and Com4 use even I/O addresses

Com1 being 1st in the Com1,Com3 set gets the 03f8 address. f meaning FIRST. Com3 gets the 03e8 address. e meaning it comes at the end

Same for the Com2,Com4 set, they get the EVEN number of 02f8 and 02e8.

For the LPT2 i remember, as corny as it sounds, "Too Too" LPT2 = 278 and LPT1 gets the remaining address of 378

Primary IDE gets the same f rule 1f0 and secondary gets remaining of 170.

I hope this helps you a bit on I/O addresses. Those are the main ones you need to know.

IRQ's know them ALL.

Sorry if the bold confused you but i was trying to point all important parts out.

ScriptX
    I have my A+ Certification, and I'm graduating in a week!!
  • Options
    luCiDluCiD Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    3F8-03FF Serial Port - COM 1
    2F8-02FF Serial Port - COM 2
    3E8-03EF Serial Port - COM 3
    2E8-02EF Serial Port - COM 4
    1F0-01F7 IDE interface - Primary channel
    170-0177 IDE interface - Secondary channel
    378-037F Parallel Port - LPT1
    278-027F Parallel Port - LPT2
    3F0-3F7h Floppy Controller

I am pretty sure those are the main ones to memorize for the exam. I just memorized the first 3 digits...seems to work so far.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    luCiD is exactly right here. You will just need to know the common ones. I believe I maybe had two questions on I/O on my test...both had to do with COM ports I believe. Also make sure you know common DMA stuff as well. icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever