Question about IMAC and dual screens?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been in market for an IMAC desktop for a while now as my main machine. I was on the site and I was unable to find external monitors by Apple.

Does Apple make external monitors for the IMAC's and if so how do you connect the second monitor? Is it mini usb to dvi? I didn't see an HDMI port on the IMAC monitor/pc.

Thanks for any heads up.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I've been in market for an IMAC desktop for a while now as my main machine. I was on the site and I was unable to find external monitors by Apple.

Does Apple make external monitors for the IMAC's and if so how do you connect the second monitor? Is it mini usb to dvi? I didn't see an HDMI port on the IMAC monitor/pc.

Thanks for any heads up.

I don't own an iMac so take what you will from my input. I believe the Thunderbolt port on the iMac was intended for connecting a second monitor. Apple does manufacture their own monitors (Apple - Thunderbolt Display - More pixels and more possibilities.). They are pretty pricy due to being IPS panels if I remember correctly. Any particular reason you are going for an iMac?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Developers at my previous employment used Macs and they used mini usb to dvi to connect 2nd monitor.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I don't own an iMac so take what you will from my input. I believe the Thunderbolt port on the iMac was intended for connecting a second monitor. Apple does manufacture their own monitors (Apple - Thunderbolt Display - More pixels and more possibilities.). They are pretty pricy due to being IPS panels if I remember correctly. Any particular reason you are going for an iMac?

I want to try something different. I really like their interface and some of the features. I still have PC's and laptops at home some with Linux and others with Windows Vista and 7.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

Thanks for any heads up.

Well the iMac is an "all in one" solution (computer is built in to the monitor). Apple - iMac - The ultimate all-in-one desktop computer.
    If you are looking for another monitor, you will want the Apple Thunderbolt display: Apple - Thunderbolt Display - More pixels and more possibilities. The Thunderbolt display only comes in 27", so if you were to get an iMac too I would get a 27" iMac (that's just me).

A few thoughts (my own opinion). I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. When you get an iMac, I would really consider getting the Magic Trackpad (it's a configurable option). Being able to swipe, use gestures is really nice. Also, don't get the memory upgrade from Apple. Do it yourself and save yourself quite a bit of money. For me going from 4gb of RAM to 8 made a huge difference.

If you decide on an iMac but don't want to shell out the extra $$ for a second display (the Thunderbolt display) you can connect to another monitor. You will just need to get an adapter cable (mini-display port to hdmi/dvi/vga) - though I would check Monoprice to see if they carry one before getting one from Apple (save some money).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    I want to try something different. I really like their interface and some of the features. I still have PC's and laptops at home some with Linux and others with Windows Vista and 7.

Another thought - I use Virtualbox on my MBP and Windows 7 runs sweeeeet on it. If you are going to run VM's then you will def. want to upgrade your memory (I did run Snow Leopard and a Win7 VM using 4gb of RAM, but once I jumped to 8 I could allocate more memory to the VM and the VM and the hosts performance improved).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

Nice, I really like the interfaces and features of OSX especially on the MacBook. The gestures are very nice. I generally don't spend very much money on laptops or desktops because I mostly need mine for basic tasks at home. Thus, I can't justify the amount I would spend on a MBP. I'm not trying to knock anyone here because I long for a MBP or any of the nicer laptops for that matter. I've got a desktop that cost me all of about ~$250 after reusing some parts from an old machine I built for virtualization and a $400 Dell laptop off the Dell Outlet for surfing.
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Nice, I really like the interfaces and features of OSX especially on the MacBook. The gestures are very nice. I generally don't spend very much money on laptops or desktops because I mostly need mine for basic tasks at home. Thus, I can't justify the amount I would spend on a MBP. I'm not trying to knock anyone here because I long for a MBP or any of the nicer laptops for that matter. I've got a desktop that cost me all of about ~$250 after reusing some parts from an old machine I built for virtualization and a $400 Dell laptop off the Dell Outlet for surfing.

I can respect that. You could get a Mac Mini from the refurbished store to save some $$. You just have to bring your own keyboard/mouse/monitor but I'm sure most of us has some of that sitting around. There is always the Hackintosh option, though I've never done it so I can't say what the finished product would be like.