Options

Moving Into Voice

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

After I nail the CCNA, I'd like to begin going down the Voice Route.

Should I go straight to the CCNA Voice (640-461) or is there a "stepping stone" to this? Looking at the prerequisites it mentions the following (below) and just wondering where I would get basic knowledge on this, or will it be gathered during CCNA Voice study?
  • Working knowledge of converged voice and data networks
  • Basic knowledge of Cisco IOS gateways
  • Basic knowledge of Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unity Connection

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    generally, the next recommended stepping stone after CCNA is to atleast attain knowledge of CCNP ROUTE and SWITCH.

ROUTE and SWITCH, coincides with CCDP (Design Track). as well as ROUTE is needed for CCIP (Service Provider Track).

CCNP R/S is a foundation certification. Meaning Voice, Wireless, Security, all that happens because of the primal integration of Routers and Switches.

I don't know what's in the CCNA:Voice books, to tell you if the material overlaps. Hell, I'm not even a CCNA yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt. :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    generally, the next recommended stepping stone after CCNA is to atleast attain knowledge of CCNP ROUTE and SWITCH.

ROUTE and SWITCH, coincides with CCDP (Design Track). as well as ROUTE is needed for CCIP (Service Provider Track).

CCNP R/S is a foundation certification. Meaning Voice, Wireless, Security, all that happens because of the primal integration of Routers and Switches.

I don't know what's in the CCNA:Voice books, to tell you if the material overlaps. Hell, I'm not even a CCNA yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt. :)

I believe that is true, its recommended to do CCNP before the others
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I have a different opinion on this one.

I got CCNA first and then got CCNA Voice (and CCNA Security) and THEN went for the CCNP. I felt that this was the best path for me, and I still think it is the best path. I feel that this is more of a "stepping stone" type of path; more of a logical progression. I recently completed the CCNP, and there really isn't a whole lot of voice stuff in there. There is a tiny bit in the CCNP SWITCH, but none at all in the CCNP ROUTE or TSHOOT.

I feel that having done the CCNA Voice and CCNA Security first made the CCNP easier.

I guess my thought is that if CCENT is level one, CCNA is level two and CCNP is level three, then the CCNA Voice would be like level two and a half.

But, more than any of that, if you want to get into voice, why not just go for voice? The CCNP can take at least a year, and if you are interested in voice, why wait a year before getting into it?

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    When you done the CCNA Voice, did you have a physical voice lab to work with? Any Voice experience? Did you have a good bit of voice knowledge before starting with your studies?
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Control,

Good questions.

I did have voice experience, but no VoIP experience. I had been installing, programming and repairing key systems and PBXs for about 15 years. So, I did have knowledge of how phone systems work and the features and fuctionality of the systems.

As for all of the details of VoIP (PoE, Data and Voice VLANs, QoS, etc.), that was all new to me.

I did purchase a 2610XM with CME software in it, a 3524 switch for PoE, and a few 7940G phones on eBay. All told, the equipment cost me between $250 and $300. I would strongly suggest building a lab for the CCNA Voice.

Back to the original question, passing any one of the CCNP exams will renew your CCNA Voice, but passing CCNA Voice will not renew your CCNP. That is another thing to consider, and quite possibly indicates which order Cisco meant for them to be taken.