Options

Certs most likely to land you a new job

2»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Our qualitative study here on TE proved that to be the wisest move. In fact several members switched their study plans because of it.

Glad to have helped ;)

My advice to anyone wanting a career in IT, and a good one, is to get CCNA first. Then boxes later.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This sure got out of hand.

So, I just want to clarify my position here. CCNA is a valuable certification that can have relevancy in almost any career track. I intend to sit for ICND1 and 2 this year myself, even though it is unlikely I'll ever configure a Cisco router in a production environment. As Turgon said, "I think the CCNA studies will make you a better desktop or server operator in the long run."

My position is simple: CCNA is not necessarily the best or only choice for an entry-level IT professional seeking his or her first job or a promotion. There are other, more logical choices for some professionals, and one of them is, in some circumstances, Net+.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »

So, I just want to clarify my position here. CCNA is a valuable certification that can have relevancy in almost any career track. I intend to sit for ICND1 and 2 this year myself, even though it is unlikely I'll ever configure a Cisco router in a production environment. As Turgon said, "I think the CCNA studies will make you a better desktop or server operator in the long run."

My position is simple: CCNA is not necessarily the best or only choice for an entry-level IT professional seeking his or her first job or a promotion. There are other, more logical choices for some professionals, and one of them is, in some circumstances, Net+.

Ptilsen

I agree there are several ways to get to where you want to be.

I once started a thread asking what certification has brought you the most success and I would say atleast 40% of the people said the CCNA. I was shocked to be honest, I thought I would see a lot more variety. I believe at least 40-50 people participated in the thread.

Nothing to earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

I just can't think of any instance where someone would value the N+ or CCENT over the CCNA. Maybe in your environment, but I'd say thats the exception more than the rule.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I'm not expert on the matter, but Cisco and MS certs have been valued for a long time now and strike me as having broad market value when combined with work experience. I think the Comptia stuff is valued too, but maybe slightly less so as they are perceived as being easier to obtain. No certs are of much value without actually applying what you're studying, though, because when the employer needs you to do something then you won't be able to lol

If you work with nothing but small businesses, you may not need much CISCO knowledge but most IT pros will need to know at least the basics... if it takes you 45 minutes on google to open a port the client will not be impressed.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Generally speaking, few MSPs or server teams needs CCNA-level networking knowledge. My position and organization are not unique. CCNA skills can bring value to a systems administrator, but it doesn't make sense as a focal choice for someone interested in systems administration. It would make far more sense to get Net+ or even CCENT because they are easy, then move on to MS, Linux, or whatever relevant studies or certifications they want.Getting CCNA off the bat and skipping Net+ doesn't make sense for someone who will never configure a Cisco router in their entire career.
    Turgon wrote: »
    Historically, people went desktop, server, network.

I have to agree with the above (and will exclude Turgon's later editorial, but I will address it.) For someone who will never deal with Cisco in a production environment, it doesn't make sense for someone who can't even spell "router", let alone configure one to gun for a CCNA unless they really want to go for being a network administrator/engineer. In my time in IT, I've met guys who were superb at routers and switches. But networks are only one facet of IT. Oh, you network guys will argue that nothing will run without the network. But the argument can be made (and I'll make it) that networks are a commodity...the things that run on them, like databases, are assets (and there is a difference.) But you don't need CCNA knowledge to configure things that are run in a distributed (networked) environment; but I will make the point that, as an IT professional, you have to know enough about networks to make sure things are run smooth. Shoot, a DBA has to know why port 1433 has to be open. Otherwise, he can't do his job. VLANs have to be understood for security's sake (as well as managing traffic). But you don't need a CCNA to articulate that. That's why I have to side with ptilsen on this. This coming from a guy that tripled his salary within 13-14 years in professional IT service--going from a JOAT, to a Desktop Support Analyst, to a server admin to finally an ERP admin. Doing all of this without certs, though now I have them, thanks to you guys at TE and WGU. :)

Don't get me wrong though, a CCNA is a great cert to have, and once I have free time, I plan on getting one, just for fun. (It won't even be on my resume...that's how much I don't need a CCNA. :) ) A well implemented network won't need heavy maintenance, but this is the real world....sometimes networks are sloppy and messy. But a good understanding of how networks work can come simply from Network+ studying if all one wants to do is break/fix support, systems administration or even database administration. I just don't buy that a CCNA is a MUST for every IT professional. But for those maintaining networks, then yeah, a CCNA would be a must.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think anyone is saying a CCNA, or any cert, is a MUST have. Just saying which one is more likely to help you gain employment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think anyone is saying a CCNA, or any cert, is a MUST have. Just saying which one is more likely to help you gain employment.

I was speaking from a viewpoint of someone who wasn't already in the field...from both personal experience AND reading on here even, it seems to be quite difficult for someone to break into networking with just a CCNA and no experience. However, I have seen folks jump into networking (or other facet in IT) after some time in the field. My point was just to get in the field, a CCNA isn't necessary to break into the field. I'll concede it might be helpful, but not necessary.