Options

pausing CCNA renewal to take my PMP

so i had submitted my information to PMI in December to see if I was eligible to take the PMP. I passed the first hurdle by meeting the required hours for managing projects and also the required hours for PM related classes. at that point I was really stressing over being audited (i have the required hours, but I managed up to 5 concurrent projects at a time for over four years with a total of 127 projects during that entire span, so documenting each and every project would be very tough if I was audited).

well, i had planned on renewing my CCNA (it is expired) and starting down the CCNP route or switch path this summer....

The last few weeks I have been having a lot of hits with my resume being posted on a couple sites and have had a lot of interviews. All the folks said that renewing the CCNA was not worth it for me and I should just focus on the PMP as it would be more valuable for me as I progress upwards in my career.

Tonight I was complaining to the wife how much my current job sucked and was getting worse and she finally said to just paid the $555 bucks and cross your fingers that you won't be audited... and then just study for a month and take it....

I just got the confirmation number to take the test and I did not get audited so one less worry (i knew I would be able to come up the all the documentation, but it would have take a long long time to get exactly what the PMI wanted and I have since moved to a totally different organization on the other side of the USA)....

So now am changing gears and shooting for a test date of mid April for my PMP exam.... icon_cheers.gif
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    so i had submitted my information to PMI in December to see if I was eligible to take the PMP. I passed the first hurdle by meeting the required hours for managing projects and also the required hours for PM related classes. at that point I was really stressing over being audited (i have the required hours, but I managed up to 5 concurrent projects at a time for over four years with a total of 127 projects during that entire span, so documenting each and every project would be very tough if I was audited).

well, i had planned on renewing my CCNA (it is expired) and starting down the CCNP route or switch path this summer....

The last few weeks I have been having a lot of hits with my resume being posted on a couple sites and have had a lot of interviews. All the folks said that renewing the CCNA was not worth it for me and I should just focus on the PMP as it would be more valuable for me as I progress upwards in my career.

Tonight I was complaining to the wife how much my current job sucked and was getting worse and she finally said to just paid the $555 bucks and cross your fingers that you won't be audited... and then just study for a month and take it....

I just got the confirmation number to take the test and I did not get audited so one less worry (i knew I would be able to come up the all the documentation, but it would have take a long long time to get exactly what the PMI wanted and I have since moved to a totally different organization on the other side of the USA)....

So now am changing gears and shooting for a test date of mid April for my PMP exam.... icon_cheers.gif

Best of luck to you. What will you use for your studies?

You might want to follow N2IT's PMP thread to add to your own studies. I really do envy you guys...but if I tried taking the PMP while going to grad school, I would lose my mind.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i already have the PMBOK (had to use it for part of my masters ) and I picked up the head first PMP book (really good stuff for most of their series of books)... I have glanced through Rita's book and was not really impressed.

I am also looking at taking an 6-8 week book camp down at the University of Alabama depending on their/my schedule. Otherwise there are some great audio/video programs on Amazon that a coworker who passed her PMP used and praised.

http://www.amazon.com/All-One-Exam-Prep-Test/dp/0982760809/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1BOT1VK9M8AQW&colid=VZRZINKOQQHN

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-PMP®-Exam-Prep-Conversations/dp/1890367532/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEIDJHOPL9P3I&colid=VZRZINKOQQHN
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I also got the green light to take it in December. I've paid the exam fee but kept pushing back the date because there's so much stuffs covered. It's like CISSP + CISM + MCITP:EA all in one.

Right now my scheduled date is April 16, 8 AM.

Good luck to you bro.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    There are a number of sites where you can get practice questions to help with your studying - spend a little money on a couple of these and use them. It's been awhile since I took my PMP, but I found one site for about $50 that have about 1000 questions and they gave you the details of why one answer was right AND why the others were wrong.

I would also recommend Rita Mulcahy's PMP prep book - it was excellent. I used her book and the PMBOK as my main reading resources.

The PMP exam is a complete pain due to the large amount of material and the length of the exam (200 questions). You really have to know all the processes in detail and know when and where you are in the overall process flow - and you need to know the inputs and outputs for each process. I made a page for each process and learned all of them in detail.

Good luck.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Awesome work!

Good luck on your studies and exam.