Security+ InfoCram Adventure

BiznutBiznut Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've decided that I'd like to take a stab at the Security+ to complement a security course (management perspective) I'm currently taking.

This is going to be an adventure for me because I don't specifically have a networking or InfoSec background. My plan is simply to watch the CBT nuggets videos and then go take the exam. Too risky? I have a lot to lose -- I only get reimbursed for the exam costs if I pass!

Background:
Education: BS Management/IT, MS CIS (May 2012)
Certs: U of Illinois UNIX Professional Cert, CompTIA Linux+, LPI LPIC-1, Novell CLA
Experience: 2yrs UNIX Sysadm

I have to wonder if I'm being a bit too ambitious with the little amount of studying considering an 80% is needed to pass the exam... I will make sure to take a practice exam prior to the actual test to gauge my readiness, and will keep this thread updated on the progress... Wish me luck!

BTW, I'm posting this because I've seen many threads with questions related to taking the exam with little to no experience, questioning the amount of studying needed, etc. Hopefully my experiences preparing and taking the exam provide some insight to others.

Thanks!

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do yourself a favor, download the Kindle App for your phone, tablet, computer, etc. Its free. Then go spend 9.99 on Darril Gibson's book. That will be all you will need. LOTS of folks here have passed using that and have had no security background at all.
  • BiznutBiznut Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor, download the Kindle App for your phone, tablet, computer, etc. Its free. Then go spend 9.99 on Darril Gibson's book. That will be all you will need. LOTS of folks here have passed using that and have had no security background at all.

Great advice, I had seen the reviews for that study guide but hadn't realized it was so affordable. Just purchased it.

Thank you.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Can't say enough good things about Darril's book. Definitely the way to go.