34 today and need a tech toy

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys, just truned 34 today and I'm thinking about buying myself a tech toy. The only problem is that i've got damn near everything: iPhone, Gtablet, laptop, flat screen TVs, blu ray, etc.. Anyone have any good ideas for a cool tech toy?
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Do you have anything for streaming media to your TV(s)? I picked up a couple WD Live Plus boxes a little while back with some gift cards I had laying around. Got rid of cable, and just use these now.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sony AIBO comes to mind, but they stopped making them.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Why you want to buy something you don't need just for the heck of it ?
    Non-native English speaker
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tech toy's just don't do it for me anymore, I have so many gadgets laying around since we tend to get the newest tech gear like phones, tablets, notebooks, etc.. from work.

If I were treating myself to a birthday gift, I'd have to go with something that can benefit me professionally like a new CZ-75 pistol I've been wanting for a while :D Nothing more therapeutic during a bad day than heading to the range over lunch and putting some lead downrange.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    Star Trek electronic door chime?

ThinkGeek :: Star Trek Electronic Door Chime

When did they get this in? I visit this site every month or so. I am so getting this.

One day I'll make an automatic door in my house, sounds included.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sony PS Vita looks cool but I can't justify the price since I seem to have fun playing games on my ipad.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had to go look on my youtube.com favorites - Air-powered Star Trek style door - YouTube
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tech toy's just don't do it for me anymore, I have so many gadgets laying around since we tend to get the newest tech gear like phones, tablets, notebooks, etc.. from work.

If I were treating myself to a birthday gift, I'd have to go with something that can benefit me professionally like a new CZ-75 pistol I've been wanting for a while :D Nothing more therapeutic during a bad day than heading to the range over lunch and putting some lead downrange.

Man ain't that the truth....I haven't been to the range in a few months and I need to go get the lead out icon_smile.gif

I've been eyeing either an M4 or an AR-15 but haven't been able to decide if I want to build one or just buy something stock...too many toys to get and not enough $$$ icon_smile.gif
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ya could pick up a non tech related hobby

i just got into backpacking and for my passed that damn windows 7 test i got a new stove

Optimus Nova Stove - Free Shipping on Katadyn orders over $49 at Moosejaw
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

i just got into backpacking and for my passed that damn windows 7 test i got a new stove

I love backpacking, I just haven't had a chance to do it in a while. Hmm...maybe I should get a lighter tent with the age creeping up on me and all...that 4.5 pound Eureka 2-man tent was light as a feather 10 years ago but the stuff they have out now is ridiculously light.

That looks like a neat stove...
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    If money is not an issue then I would always go for a large flat screen TV. I treated myself to a 65 inch a couple of years ago for my man cave and I love it. There's nothing like watching a game on that TV and I also hooked up my laptop to it via an HDMI cable to I could watch Jeremy's CCNA videos - much better than a 15 inch laptop screen.

Of course you could always take a quick weekend out to Vegas - I've done that before and it was always a good time. Just avoid a weekend like in The Hangover.

Happy Birthday!
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Man ain't that the truth....I haven't been to the range in a few months and I need to go get the lead out icon_smile.gif

I've been eyeing either an M4 or an AR-15 but haven't been able to decide if I want to build one or just buy something stock...too many toys to get and not enough $$$ icon_smile.gif

I would personally recommend buying already bulit. Not 100% sure, but building one might not have the same warranty.

How about a re-loading press? I bought some more 9mm ammo last night and WOAH! have prices been rising. Same stuff I purchased 2 months ago is now a couple bucks more a box. Almost at $.30 per round now, and I can easily shoot 150-200 rounds in an hour or two normal range trip.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would personally recommend buying already bulit. Not 100% sure, but building one might not have the same warranty.

How about a re-loading press? I bought some more 9mm ammo last night and WOAH! have prices been rising. Same stuff I purchased 2 months ago is now a couple bucks more a box. Almost at $.30 per round now, and I can easily shoot 150-200 rounds in an hour or two normal range trip.

LOL, I can't see myself doing this. I can see myself buying another gun this year though.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I got my wife a Taurus M85 for Valentine's Day. Of course that means I will have it in my safe and she has to ask me when she wants to use it icon_smile.gif
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I got my wife a Taurus M85 for Valentine's Day. Of course that means I will have it in my safe and she has to ask me when she wants to use it icon_smile.gif

Haha. At least you don't have to worry about getting her mad then.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'd build my own, but I like going the DIY route whenever possible. Was my first AR build being a complete newb and it was incredibly easy.

ar1.jpg

25011fn.jpg

Getting setup to do my own reloads is my next big gift to myself. My round of choice for my daily carry pistol is .357sig which gets awfully expensive to shoot even buying bulk from one of a few Internet vendors. Fortunately my uncle has a very nice Dillon press but he is 4 hours of driving away.
    Veeeery nice...love the OD Stock and grips. The etched flag is awesome as well. Ammo is geting so expensive. icon_sad.gif
    Yea, .357sig is up there too. Make a weekend out of reloading, then the drive would be worth it. You could easily make enough ammo for a year. I'm actually picking up a 5 gal pail of wheel weights today for a buddy that makes his own bullets. Told him I'll give him lead if he gives me a few hundred rounds. :D
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ar1.jpg

Nice. That is prettier than mine.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Arduino kit from AdaFruit or Nintendo 3ds with R4?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801

That's a crazy looking stove. How do you like it so far? I've been using the MSR Pocket Rockets for years and love them. We use them for regular camping and when we used to backpack more. I haven't been backpacking since my youngest was born, but I love it.

As for the OP's question, I might spring for a Nixie Clock or more lab gear.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    onesaint wrote: »
    That's a crazy looking stove. How do you like it so far? I've been using the MSR Pocket Rockets for years and love them. We use them for regular camping and when we used to backpack more. I haven't been backpacking since my youngest was born, but I love it.

As for the OP's question, I might spring for a Nixie Clock or more lab gear.

whitegas is always nice because ya can see how much you got left unlike the pocket rocket type stoves ... and it also runs on car gas so if we get hit by a hurricane and dont have power for a week (its happened at least once every 2 years) we can still eat and not worry about fuel unlike canister stoves
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    what about getting something retro like a Commdore 64. There may be one off ebay.Happy Birthday.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    whitegas is always nice because ya can see how much you got left unlike the pocket rocket type stoves ... and it also runs on car gas so if we get hit by a hurricane and dont have power for a week (its happened at least once every 2 years) we can still eat and not worry about fuel unlike canister stoves

Ahhh. That explains the price difference. Sounds like an awesome stove. Is it still super compact? Also, how do you know your white gas reserves?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    paul78 wrote: »
    what about getting something retro like a Commdore 64. There may be one off ebay.Happy Birthday.

Great idea...may need to check out some vintage hardware...that would be a great conversation piece.
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Great idea...may need to check out some vintage hardware...that would be a great conversation piece.

You could get a new one, it looks like the old one but can run windows 7
    onesaint wrote: »
    Ahhh. That explains the price difference. Sounds like an awesome stove. Is it still super compact? Also, how do you know your white gas reserves?

you can open the bottle and loot at the fuel its self... its still small over all considering the fact i can brinf 1 full bottle of fuel vs 2 canisters to make sure i have the needed fuel ... and $5 per can vs less than $1 to fill up my bottle for the same amt of burn time