Options

Need help on career decision

JoeRobertsJoeRoberts Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but have been lurking for a few weeks, reading and learning a lot!

I need some advice on my career. My problem is that I'm trying to determine if I should get certified or not.

I have been developing applications utilizing MS Access and VBA for a number of years. But I'm currently stuck in my career and want to advance to the next level. I have taken some programming classes in C++ but by no means an expert. I do consider myself pretty good at SQL queries and problem-solving. I consider my soft skills very good as well.

I have a business degree but want to stay in IT. I love every aspect of IT and want to further my career with certifications but I can't decide what route to take. Since I've worked with Microsoft my whole career, I was thinking about SQL Server DBA, Developer, and/or Busingess Intelligence.

I've researched all of these certs and I think I would have a lot of work to do just to get up to speed to begin studying for them.

I'm also thinking I should become well-versed in the .NET technologies.

I'm in my 40's, so I figure I don't have a lot of time to waste before making my decision. I've been mulling this over for a long time and I think I need others' opinions.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoeRoberts wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but have been lurking for a few weeks, reading and learning a lot!

I need some advice on my career. My problem is that I'm trying to determine if I should get certified or not.

I have been developing applications utilizing MS Access and VBA for a number of years. But I'm currently stuck in my career and want to advance to the next level. I have taken some programming classes in C++ but by no means an expert. I do consider myself pretty good at SQL queries and problem-solving. I consider my soft skills very good as well.

I have a business degree but want to stay in IT. I love every aspect of IT and want to further my career with certifications but I can't decide what route to take. Since I've worked with Microsoft my whole career, I was thinking about SQL Server DBA, Developer, and/or Busingess Intelligence.

I've researched all of these certs and I think I would have a lot of work to do just to get up to speed to begin studying for them.

I'm also thinking I should become well-versed in the .NET technologies.

I'm in my 40's, so I figure I don't have a lot of time to waste before making my decision. I've been mulling this over for a long time and I think I need others' opinions.

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Like you mentioned MS business intelligence SQL certifications seem like a good route to go. Business Objects is another one I would consider. A former co-worker who did reporting for us in Excel and some other databases ended up getting into a BO shop and is now making 120+ in the midwest. She is designing large universes and developing reporting within the universe. Her career has really taken off. And unlike you she had very little SQL knowledge, but was a really good with VBA and Excel in general.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Like you mentioned MS business intelligence SQL certifications seem like a good route to go. Business Objects is another one I would consider. A former co-worker who did reporting for us in Excel and some other databases ended up getting into a BO shop and is now making 120+ in the midwest. She is designing large universes and developing reporting within the universe. Her career has really taken off. And unlike you she had very little SQL knowledge, but was a really good with VBA and Excel in general.

Thanks for the input!!

I hadn't thought of SAP (or ERP in general). I looked at SAP's website briefly but will study it more this weekend.

I'm assuming your friend got certified....do you know how long it took her to get certified?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoeRoberts wrote: »
    Thanks for the input!!

I hadn't thought of SAP (or ERP in general). I looked at SAP's website briefly but will study it more this weekend.

I'm assuming your friend got certified....do you know how long it took her to get certified?

Actually she didn't get certified she leveraged her previous reporting and programming skillsets and then learned on the job. You have a lot of great skills already, you just need to take sometime to think about how you want to leverage them. I honestly think you can get by with no certifications at this point. Just create a role specific resume and highlight your achievements and what value you bring to the table to the specific job you are applying for.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Actually she didn't get certified she leveraged her previous reporting and programming skillsets and then learned on the job. You have a lot of great skills already, you just need to take sometime to think about how you want to leverage them. I honestly think you can get by with no certifications at this point. Just create a role specific resume and highlight your achievements and what value you bring to the table to the specific job you are applying for.

Thanks again! I have some serious thinking to do and you have given me a perpective I hadn't thought of before. I think I will try to leverage the skills I already have like you said.