Options

Network Admin requirements?

Hello,
How you guys doing?

I searched a couple of threads about this, some had some data on it, but didnt found a thread quite specific.

So...

What in your opinion makes a good network admin?
What requirements does a net admin has (or should)?
Recommended certs, abilities, knowledge, experience?

I'm a system admin, I do work with a couple of aspects of a Network Admin. The position I had before this one was Network Admin, but after 6 months got offered a system admin position with way more benefits. After a while the network dpt and system dpt merged so now we kind of do a bit about everything.
I only have around 2.5 yrs in total of IT experience.

I'm interested in knowing what is needed to become a Network Admin out there.
At least the general specs.
I'm concern that I dont have much experience with networks (a yr or so the most), should I become a network guy in a NOC? or a network technician in some company and get more experience?
I kind of feel if I do that ill be stepping down in my career (from system admin --> to network tech).

So whats you guys opinion based on your knowledge on this?

PS. sorry for bad english.
meh

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I'm a Systems Administrator as well and on the Network side of things I really needed to know VPN appliances, Firewall, and Switching (both layer 2 and layer 3). It really depends on the network and the job because most System Administrator positions contain Network admin roles and even some type of database role.

For a pure network admin? I would say VPN ( Site to Site, IPSEC, Tunneling protocols ) Firewall (access rules, NAT, etc ), Switching (Switch port security, STP, Layer 3 switching), and Routing are quite possibly the biggest things you want to know.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sounds pretty right! Thanks
    Any more advices are more than welcomed.
    meh
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not advice to offer, just dropping in to say "wow" to the fact he have less than 2.5 years Of IT experience and have already been a network administrator and a systems administrator. Darn you! LOL
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    shameless bump

any more advices would be appreciated

thanks
    meh
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    shameless bump

any more advices would be appreciated

thanks

I would like to echo what "TheCudder" said. How did you become a Systems Administrator with so little IT experience?

Also, why would you want to move from Systems Administrator to Network Administrator?
  • Options
    I work for a very young company
    a very young company that makes 20m a year lol

80% of the people who work here work as their first job.
    The seniors kind of mold the people to their likes, train them etc
    I think thats good and bad, good because you mold them how you like them to be instead of having people come with pre-defined work ways
    Bad because most ppl last 1-2 years. (company is like only 6 yrs old though).

They were looking for a temporary Network Admin (the network dpt was overloaded with work and expansion projects)
    I think what got me the interview was my ccna knowledge, and overall systems knowledge.
    And more than anything, my knowledge in how Mobile Networks and Media works
    Before this job I almost landed a job for Huawei as a network admin. I actually literally landed the job, but they didnt had someone to manage my position in my country and couldnt fill that position, so my position was canceled.
    Mobile networks and hierarchy works a bit different of how people think.

The network supervisor told me afterwards that out of around 8 people they interviewed, Only myself knew well how Mobile networks worked.
    My position renewed after 3 months, stayed 6 months as network supervisor, I helped to less the network dpt workload by like 60% myself alone.
    Then I got offered a permanent position as a System admin, now I do that.

I want to work in a more network oriented environment, because my career goal at least now is to work in Network Forensics
    I think I need way more network experience. I want to get more network experience.

Thats why I ask for advice ^^
    meh