Options

SIP vs. VoIP

fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
can someone explain to me the main difference? i read a few articles online however i am still a bit confused. thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    SIP is a signalling protocol that tells phones what to do and doesn't carry any voice traffic.
    VoIP traffic is carried in a RTP packet and usually contains 20ms (can be adjusted) of audio per packet with a codec such as g.711 (64Kbps).

You need both a signalling protocol (can be SIP, might be SCCP if using Cisco CUCM) and RTP for a phone call to work between 2 phones and the voice server.
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Voip is just a term whereas sip is signalling protocol, there is no comparison between the two.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    can someone explain to me the main difference? i read a few articles online however i am still a bit confused. thanks!

SIP is more like a PRI. As others indicated it is a signalling protocol. Often a provider will offer a "SIP trunk" which will take the place of the older PRI though to my knowledge there are no providers which are certified by the major manufacturers (Avaya, Cisco, Shoretel, etc) to provide a SIP trunk directly to the phone switch from the POTs network.

If you have site to site connections, you may connect your remote office phone switches by the vendor implementation of a SIP trunk. Normally though, they have an option (like Avaya's small community networking) which is specific to the manufacturer and it will normally work a heck of a lot better.

Actual VOIP is similar to a regular digital handset except instead of delivering the voice packets over a 4 pin connector you use ethernet. You get some encapsulation options like H.262 etc.