Options

Do I need any equipment to pass the CCENT?

Crims0nCrims0n Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon folks,

After studying (and being ready) for the Net+, I decided to instead schedule for the CCENT (ICND1) and pursue Cisco certs. I am using the CCENT Exam 640-822 book by Exam Cram and CBT Nuggets. My exam is in one month.

My question is, should I purchase any switches or routers to help pass ICND1? Are they required? I understand that when I move onto ICND2 I should have them, but money is a bit tight this month and if possible I would like to avoid it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Crims0n wrote: »
    Good afternoon folks,

After studying (and being ready) for the Net+, I decided to instead schedule for the CCENT (ICND1) and pursue Cisco certs. I am using the CCENT Exam 640-822 book by Exam Cram and CBT Nuggets. My exam is in one month.

My question is, should I purchase any switches or routers to help pass ICND1? Are they required? I understand that when I move onto ICND2 I should have them, but money is a bit tight this month and if possible I would like to avoid it.

Thoughts?

No, you do not need equipment for the ICND1 exam. The most you will cover is setting the basic security measures on console, AUX, telnet ports. If you can get packet tracer you will be good to go.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Nope. None. But it will help. There aren't many labs on the early Cisco exams. But there are a couple. Having some hands on will definitely give you a boost on the exam. Some people are just fine watching Jeremy talk and show them the commands. But when you sit there and actually type "sho cdp nei" yourself, it does something different in my opinion.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends, do you want to go ahead and progress past ICND2?

PacketTracer is good - upto CCNA. Then you might as well toss that application aside and hope for the best.

Boson NetSim 8 - What im labbing now, is okay. It's a simulator, meaning you'll be restricted to what you see, what you can do, and what you get. I used NetSim 8 for my CCENT labbing. Did the job perfectly, no problems. CCNA is where it shows it's limitation. It has labs upto CCNP.

GNS3 - You'll need IOS images to make this bad boy to work. As an emulation, not a simulation, it can be used past CCNP and upto CCIE and for documentation and the like. It doesn't do switching well. Don't expect to learn STP commands.

Although, if you have equipment - use it. Nothing beats the feeling of using the real experience. Simulations and Emulations are just that - fake.

When I pass the CCNA, im going to buy me a lab, switching lab. As I can use GNS3 to emulate the router portion, saving me a piece of money.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Although, if you have equipment - use it. Nothing beats the feeling of using the real experience. Simulations and Emulations are just that - fake.
    ^ This. I started studying for CCNA many years ago with just simulators and ended up losing interest. Last year I built a lab and that kept me hooked and helped me pass CCENT. Some of us need to see the light flashing.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I don't think you need to for the CCENT. I'm buying three routers and two switches for my CCENT and CCNA studies because I don't feel comfortable putting those certs down on my resume if I can't back it up with experience. I would just buy them before you go for the CCNA, since money is tight.
  • Options
    mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed Network+ a little before new year. I've been studying for the CCENT exam.

I'm using Boson exam simulator + transcender (already expired).

For lab, I have the Boson exam lab.

My thoughts: I think it would be possible to pass the ICND1 without the hardware BUT I think it is better to have it. If money wasn't so restricted, I would buy actual cisco gear to practice with. Right now money is tight and I need to learn the material so my money is being spent on practice exams instead (spent $300 already + $100 soon) on practice exams.

I can see now the limitations of not having gear. Yeah it's ok to do basic stuff (set passwords and stuff) but try setting DHCP or just TFTP servers for IOS reload and simulations can't really replace it.

I have no experience with networking asides from my HD position, the simulators I find has helped me tremendously gotten me started understanding concepts.. worth the $.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    after i pass my n+ i plan on buying some lab gear to begin studying for my ccent. Can never be too prepared.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    GNS3 - You'll need IOS images to make this bad boy to work. As an emulation, not a simulation, it can be used past CCNP and upto CCIE and for documentation and the like. It doesn't do switching well. Don't expect to learn STP commands.

This is pretty much what I've done. I have a few physical routers, but end up spending most of my time in gns3. For switches I've picked up a handful (and am on the lookout for more. Apparently 84 switchports isn't enough for me yet) since there's no real replacement.

I don't remember needing any hardware for ICND1. I'd picked up my first few pieces but didn't really touch them until ICND2 and beyond.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    KPLCKPLC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You just need to get familiar with basic router/switch configuration, show commands, and subnetting. But the most important to have is motivation and determination. Read, lab, TE.
  • Options
    Crims0nCrims0n Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses, they were most helpful :D
  • Options
    cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    ^ This. I started studying for CCNA many years ago with just simulators and ended up losing interest. Last year I built a lab and that kept me hooked and helped me pass CCENT. Some of us need to see the light flashing.

+++1

awesome having your own kit,

ive made loads of mistakes and some have taken a while to correct,
    but making mistakes seems to be good for learning well for me anyway :)

it will be good to tell a interviewer well i have xyz at home

for the price its worth going out and getting some kit in my opinion
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Having Kit makes it all worth while,

Made it a lot more fun for me, and the reason you do the Cisco stuff is to ultimatly work on this kit, so why not start now.

I started with one Cisco 837, asdl router/switch and I could run most of the commands on that, especially the stuff to do with ICND1 requirements.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Crims0n wrote: »
    Good afternoon folks,

Thoughts?

There a number of Cisco exams you can pass without equipment. But sooner or later you will need the hands on to really learn this craft, so dont put off getting what you need. Networking is a longterm thing.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    when i was in the position of doing ICND1 again i would maybe buy two 2950s and two cheap routers off ebay. stuff is more fun and you learn faster if you see this working in real life...

although packet tracer is just fine for ICND1 & 2....
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mguy wrote: »
    I passed Network+ a little before new year. I've been studying for the CCENT exam.

I'm using Boson exam simulator + transcender (already expired).

For lab, I have the Boson exam lab.

My thoughts: I think it would be possible to pass the ICND1 without the hardware BUT I think it is better to have it. If money wasn't so restricted, I would buy actual cisco gear to practice with. Right now money is tight and I need to learn the material so my money is being spent on practice exams instead (spent $300 already + $100 soon) on practice exams.

I can see now the limitations of not having gear. Yeah it's ok to do basic stuff (set passwords and stuff) but try setting DHCP or just TFTP servers for IOS reload and simulations can't really replace it.

I have no experience with networking asides from my HD position, the simulators I find has helped me tremendously gotten me started understanding concepts.. worth the $.

Very important points. I would hate to be a qualified engineer sent to site to install and configure a device if packet tracer or GNS was all he had going for him..

Use gear. You learn important things the books dont teach you.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info folks. I am slated to begin my CCENT/CCNA trek in about a month, and need to start figuring out what equipment I need for my lab.

I see a lot of folks mentioning packet tracers. What do you recommend for those?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    +1 on it'll help . especially with debugging and all the other stuff you learn using hardware.

Make sure to have a look at gsn3
    CBT Nuggets

You don't need to spend much money to get some decent gear.
    If you take your time and choose carefully you can get 3 -4 switches and 3 -4 routers for $300, bit more if you go for a couple of 3550's .

Can get 2950's from around $10 , 3550's from around $80,
    1721/1751's from $10, 1760's around from $50, 2600xm's from $20 , 1841's from $150.

If you can a 2600xm + a couple of 1721/1751's , a few 2950's and a 3550.

If you decide to use gsn3 for the routers, you can spend more on better switches especially
    once you are sure you are going to keep going and aim for ccnp or above.

There are the free labs like freeccnaworkbook lab and packetlife.
    Book a few slots and get labbing , the sooner the better.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Reviving a dead post instead of starting another one...

I love the real stuff vs the emulators....

I've had this system at home for well over 6 months:

Used Cisco CCNA CCNP CCIE Complete Lab Kit | eBay

Will this help me cover my hardware and CLi knowledge for the CCENT and CCNA coverage? - if it could help with CCNP that would be awesome; but that might be a long shot!

Any help is appreciated. Even though I just pass the Sec + this morning, I'm already thinking about the next hurdle!