Starting a new job...

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
Could some of you share your experiences starting a new job? I have just finished my 4th day at a new company, but feel like I haven't done a thing.

I am supposed to be shadowing an employee, which I am told will soon be setting up new offices, but we haven't really been doing anything. I am not allowed the passwords to switches or routers yet, so I have no way to get a feel for the network. I am pretty much supposed to sit at my desk until someone needs to go into to field, then I am supposed to speak up and go with the person to the field.

I just feel useless and I hope I am not the only one that has been in this place.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Could some of you share your experiences starting a new job? I have just finished my 4th day at a new company, but feel like I haven't done a thing.

I am supposed to be shadowing an employee, which I am told will soon be setting up new offices, but we haven't really been doing anything. I am not allowed the passwords to switches or routers yet, so I have no way to get a feel for the network. I am pretty much supposed to sit at my desk until someone needs to go into to field, then I am supposed to speak up and go with the person to the field.

I just feel useless and I hope I am not the only one that has been in this place.

Doesn't sounds like they have a new employee entrance program in your department. Are you at least reading documentation and learning your surroundings? I would assume a large part of what they expect from you the first week is to get acclimated to the environment and their processes.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Yes, they have a few sharepoint sites with information, but I am more of a hands on person and I am use to being able to log in to something and creating my own documentation.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what is in store for me next week.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Read whatever documentation they have and just try and keep busy. Unless you're thrown into the fire the first week, it's tough. I'm the exact same way. I hate not being able to do anything right away. Just be inquisitive as possible without being annoying and show them your interest. One thing they may not have on their documentation but could be with another department is Change Management. That's a key area to acclimate yourself with at a new organization.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Speak to your boss. Why would they hire you if they won't even give you credentials? Offer yourself up to creating a new hire check list and you can add the stuff you want to get into. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Monkerz wrote: »

When we hire, it can take 4 weeks before they have all the equipment and access they need to start to be effective. For the moment, do what you are told, turn up on time, do anything you are asked to do promptly, go for breaks and lunch the same time as everyone else, and with everyone else, and avoid conflict with anyone.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    When we hire, it can take 4 weeks before they have all the equipment and access they need to start to be effective. For the moment, do what you are told, turn up on time, do anything you are asked to do promptly, go for breaks and lunch the same time as everyone else, and with everyone else, and avoid conflict with anyone.

+1 on this.

Monks, you gotta remember that every shop is different. Some shops will have you hit the ground running on day one, and others will sideline you so you can get acclimated to the environment in the way your shop wants you to get acclimated. They do this so that they can have you play ball by their rules, instead of you going against the grain with stuff you have done in previous shops. It helps keeps things standard, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The above advice from Turgon makes the most sense for your situation; make no waves, do what you're told, and read up on any documentation they're giving you access. Offer suggestions, but make sure you're doing it in a way that's not argumentative. Play the new guy role accordingly, and you should be fine. You gotta give both yourself and your shop time to make you part of the team.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    +1 on this.

Monks, you gotta remember that every shop is different. Some shops will have you hit the ground running on day one, and others will sideline you so you can get acclimated to the environment in the way your shop wants you to get acclimated. They do this so that they can have you play ball by their rules, instead of you going against the grain with stuff you have done in previous shops. It helps keeps things standard, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The above advice from Turgon makes the most sense for your situation; make no waves, do what you're told, and read up on any documentation they're giving you access. Offer suggestions, but make sure you're doing it in a way that's not argumentative. Play the new guy role accordingly, and you should be fine. You gotta give both yourself and your shop time to make you part of the team.

Yeah. It takes time. Meanwhile stay out of trouble. People are always sensitive to new hires so any perceived problems with them are amplified. It's not logical, and the law says it shouldn't be so, but it's human nature and it happens. So be cool and become part of the scenary gradually. Concentrate on making a few friends there. Always bare in mind, that the folks you are now working with have a zillion things on. They will get to you when they have time to do it.
    Yeah. It takes time. Meanwhile stay out of trouble. People are always sensitive to new hires so any perceived problems with them are amplified. It's not logical, and the law says it shouldn't be so, but it's human nature and it happens. So be cool and become part of the scenary gradually. Concentrate on making a few friends there. Always bare in mind, that the folks you are now working with have a zillion things on. They will get to you when they have time to do it.

Organizational Behavio(u)r [that "u" is for you, Turgon...lmao]

This should be a course that every employee (especially IT) would benefit from. It really does explain things like office/corporate politics, coalitions ("friends" at work), etc., etc. Every organization is different...and a course like Organizational Behavior would be beneficial for every professional from all walks of life.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Organizational Behavio(u)r [that "u" is for you, Turgon...lmao]

This should be a course that every employee (especially IT) would benefit from. It really does explain things like office/corporate politics, coalitions ("friends" at work), etc., etc. Every organization is different...and a course like Organizational Behavior would be beneficial for every professional from all walks of life.

Im baffled by your post really..what do you mean the "u" is for me? Just curious!
  • nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im baffled by your post really..what do you mean the "u" is for me? Just curious!

American vs UK spelling America drops the "U"
    nycid wrote: »
    American vs UK spelling America drops the "U"

Correct, and sorry for the baffling, Turgon...was just being funny. :)
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I appreciate the advise fellow TE'rs! I understand what each of you are saying, it really helps that I have people like you to turn to in times of confusion.

Will let you know how it goes.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Monkerz, you aren't the only one that felt this way. I felt the same way when I was an intern over the summer last year, but not sure if that's because I was an intern. I will be starting my new job as a consultant after Presidents day. If I experience the same thing again, then I will definitely let you know. :D
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    1st week, or 2, or 3+, depending on the company is always for the HR BS, orientation, etc.

IMO most jobs don't really start until you get past that 90 day mark.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I know the feeling. When I went to work as a government contractor it took a solid 4 weeks before I had credentials to do anything truly productive. I was in the same boat, shadowing co-workers and running after any action I could find. Everyone knew that was to be expected, though. They did assume I would use that time to study for my CISSP, though, which was required within 180 days. So, that gave me plenty to do.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V