Options

Video Training for CCNA

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

I will be purchasing some video training today and looking to see what everyone else has used (if any).
There always seems to be mention of CBT Nuggets. Anyone have positive experiences of others to help them pass or is "Nuggets" the way to go?
I'm looking for something that's easy to take in, and made interesting. I don't want to fall asleep watching them!

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    CBT Nuggets are probably the most talked about videos on these forums and Chris Bryant has alot of free videos on his YouTube channel.
    For CCNP, I used the CCNP Cert Kits from Cisco Press which have some pretty good videos on the CD, but I don't see that they make them for CCNA.
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Jeremy Cioara made really good videos for CBT Nuggets CCNA, I think this is the best although not cover all the details.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I really liked the CCNA cbtnuggets videos, but I used them with the Cram Session deal for $24 per day for 3 days. $72 was a great price to use these videos for a few days to really cover the material AFTER I had already gone through the books. I found this very helpful to run through Jeremy's videos the week before I took my CCNA exam.

I felt that the videos probably gained me about 100 points on the CCNA exam. It really filled in all of the holes in my studying.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've watched three series in my journey:

TrainSignal - Christ Bryant... I turned off the video. It's dry material, too dry even for me. The DVD was wonky and I didn't feel like trying to make the dvd work on my 64bit Win7. Best explanation of Subnetting that I've found, tops CBT nuggets. Most depth. I recommend this as a close second. It was not entertaining at all.

INE.com - Less focused. The videos were taken from a bootcamp, as it shows the narrator and just seemed messy. He delivered a lot of information that isn't ccent/na - when it happened. But delivers much needed injection of cisco's website into the picture. Not worth the money. I didn't finish watching the series - mostly because of topics will bleed over to the next video. The videos seemed incomplete, as these were taped from bootcamps. I don't recommend INE for CCNA studies. Not worth the money.

CBTnuggets - Entertaining and less perfect as TrainSignal. I've sat through numerous watches of the videos. Not a lot of depth into the topics, but good coverage and easy to digest. Best of the three. Highly recommended. DVD worked out of the box on my 64bit.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another resource is VTC.com. Never hurts to have another perspective on CCNA studies.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Jeremy Cioara's method for subnetting is hands down the best in my opinion. Use his videos then progress to some nice reading from Cisco Press.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    I'm looking for something that's easy to take in, and made interesting. I don't want to fall asleep watching them!

Cheers

CBT then
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I've watched three series in my journey:

TrainSignal - Christ Bryant... I turned off the video. It's dry material, too dry even for me. The DVD was wonky and I didn't feel like trying to make the dvd work on my 64bit Win7. Best explanation of Subnetting that I've found, tops CBT nuggets. Most depth. I recommend this as a close second. It was not entertaining at all.

INE.com - Less focused. The videos were taken from a bootcamp, as it shows the narrator and just seemed messy. He delivered a lot of information that isn't ccent/na - when it happened. But delivers much needed injection of cisco's website into the picture. Not worth the money. I didn't finish watching the series - mostly because of topics will bleed over to the next video. The videos seemed incomplete, as these were taped from bootcamps. I don't recommend INE for CCNA studies. Not worth the money.

CBTnuggets - Entertaining and less perfect as TrainSignal. I've sat through numerous watches of the videos. Not a lot of depth into the topics, but good coverage and easy to digest. Best of the three. Highly recommended. DVD worked out of the box on my 64bit.

I felt the INE ones were more focused and more to the point with less rambling than the cbt nuggets and a bit more professional. They were free to view (streaming) last year.

Bryants were quite good.Goes into quite a bit of depth.

Which ever you choose the videos are only supplemental material to the books you are using.

If you want/need to use the cbt nuggets on an ipad, you can using buzz player it supports the format.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the one of the reasons that strike out at me as unprofessional - from a video-learning perspective is that the narrator stated something along the line of continuing a topic that was, otherwise done the prior video. I like my VTP video not to have STP information that was forgotten (It's an example, i don't have the videos with me at the moment for a example from the source.)

INE's CCNA course wasn't made from the bottom-up as a "video learning" series. It was a video taped bootcamp edited to try to fit a video learning series - and it shows, a lot. Things are mentioned that "We'll discuss later" yet I don't recall the "Later" material ever being filmed. The audience even spoke up at a couple points, and mentioned audience names. Which was different, and I wouldn't have cared if it didn't take away from information. I liked the different view point on the video learning. The use of Cisco's website was far above one of the best points, getting used to used to see the documents searched on cisco.

It may be been free. But I paid for INE's videos... so Im judging based on spending money for this stuff :P

However, INE comes highly recommended at the IE level. Which is to say it's possible the NA level isn't their main care or focus.

VTC at the moment, seems pretty good. Small chunks of information, 6 minutes for the same topic, but multiple videos for the same thing. But covering multi-area OSPF isn't necessary. It seems like it may be a good other source of information..
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams