Options

Career Changer Seeking Advice

bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for the past couple of weeks and I have to say this site seems like a fantastic resource for both information and support. I plan to come here further.

That said, here is my story. I'm looking to switch careers to IT. I've been teaching high school social studies for the past three or so years, and I'm burned out. Previously I had worked for 6 years in the book publishing industry doing sales support for their online division (HTML email campaigns, putting together spreadsheets, organizing and gathering jacket image info, etc.). Before that, I graduated with a bachelor's in political science in '01. As you can see, its a liberal arts degree and not a technical one.

As you can also surmise, I'm not that young anymore. I'm 33 and the thought of changing careers (again) seems daunting.

So, I have an attack plan to get that entry-level IT position (hopefully it would be a jr. level network admin type of position but I'll take a help desk position if it gives me exp.):

1. Pass the A+, Network+, and Security+ exams sometime before the end of this summer. I have the A+ All-In-One Guide by Mike Myers and I'm slogging through it. Some of this, especially the historical sections, is a blast-from-the-past because i was into PCs in my high school/early college days (should have majored in CS, I know). I've glanced at the Prof. Messer videos and they seem great. I'll look into those more.

2. Find a job dealing with tech support in some fashion. PC technician, level I help desk, level I admin / jr. network admin. Ideally I can start looking at these jobs after I pass A+.

3. Research other certifications / career paths I can take once I get that first coveted job. Cisco, MS, and Linux all seem appealing. I imagine I will know more once I pass the entry-level exams.

So, my questions to you TechExams community, are:

1. How will my age be a factor in the IT industry? I've heard ageism does effect IT folks. I've even experienced it. Several years ago I interviewed for a job in a linux company. The interviewer replied: "So why should I hire you over a high school kid?" I didn't quite know how to respond to that. I was in my mid-20s at the time.

2. My current teaching career is of a non-technical role--I'm a history teacher, for goodness! How will that affect my future prospects of getting that position? I imagine I could always spin it to emphasize the soft-skills I've developed--companies are always looking for people who can effectively communicate, manage their time well, and are hard-working and loyal. All of these best describe me. I will have to emphasize those "transition skills" on my resume and in future interviews.

3. As I've mentioned, I don't have a technical degree--it's a BA in political science. Will not going back to school to get a degree (whether a AS -- seems like I would be going backwards, or a 2nd Bachelor's or even a Master's) hurt my prospects? Will I be competing against those who have those qualifications? The certification route seems appealing but it may also appear as taking a shortcut. I don't want to incur anymore debt so getting certifications and proving myself seems most appealing. So, in all seriousness, what are my prospects for landing that entry-level tech job?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions would be helpful. I know this post is long but I'm seriously making a career switch--and I think I could use all the advice I can get right now.
2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)

Comments

• Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I have a close friend who got a BA in English in the 80's, and a MA in Communications in the early 2000's. She's been with a large software company for nearly 20 years now, and when I last spoke to her she's VP of the Engineering department.

Take what you will from that story. I think you're doing fine. You have the right strategy in place, so like you said, it's always possible to spin your background to fit an IT position. In fact, you might get a good shot at one of the larger org's like IBM or HP because they tend to hire folks from different backgrounds.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. It happens, but discrimination against 30-somethings isn't so bad. It's the older guys, late 40s to 60s, that really face discrimination. If an interviewer actually asks you a question like that, it's time to call a lawyer or your state's department of labor. Discriminating against someone for being too old violates federal law.

2. To be completely honest, you should really let go of any thoughts of "junior admin" roles. You're going to have to spend a year or two at a helpdesk, maybe a DST position if you're lucky. Your current role and your non-technical degree don't matter so much as the fact that you have no IT experience.

3. Hold off on any more college. A technical degree does give you an advantage in the hiring process and in terms of what you'd actually learn. However, it won't matter much for an entry-level IT job. By the time it does matter, later in your career, you'll probably have enough certifications that it doesn't matter. Certainly, if you get far enough, you can always go back and get another degree.

As far as your plan goes, it is pretty solid. Get A+ and start looking. Keep in mind, you should feel very comfortable actually fixing a wide array of basic computer hardware and software problems. It is feasible to obtain the A+ and still not have that skill. You don't want to start a new job that it turns out you can't do. Keep pursuing Network+ while you're looking. You might want to think about branching off after Network+, maybe even before. Look into the CCENT (ICND1) material from Cisco. Do you think you want to spend much of your career configuring and fixing routers and switches? If not, you'll probably want to move on to either the MS or Linux side of things. You can also go straight into security, but it's good to have a stronger foundation in IT before getting into security.

If you do go Cisco, you can skip the Net+. You'll still want Security+ somewhere in there, but IMO it doesn't do much and loses value if you don't have a strong understanding of how computer systems work. You'll appreciate more after some experience and maybe a couple of other certs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice. I have an old Dell with a Pentium 4 in it; I can use that to play around and feel comfortable with configuration. In the past I have installed expansion cards, RAM, hard drives, and installed and reinstalled software, but I know tech is more than that--it's troubleshooting. I guess to really know whether I have it depends on how well I perform on the job.

Im fixed on Network+ bc I'm not sure whether I want to go the router/switch route or the server route. Routers will always be there but I imagine with cloud computing and virtualization having a local server will be less common. I dunno, that's just a wild guess. I have in the past played with Linux -- that is also a possibility.

I know that I will most likely have to pay my dues in help desk or pc support but what are my chances of moving into a network / system admin role? Will the help desk exp count towards system admin? Or will it be seen as irrelevant?
    2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bmy78 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for the past couple of weeks and I have to say this site seems like a fantastic resource for both information and support. I plan to come here further.

That said, here is my story. I'm looking to switch careers to IT. I've been teaching high school social studies for the past three or so years, and I'm burned out. Previously I had worked for 6 years in the book publishing industry doing sales support for their online division (HTML email campaigns, putting together spreadsheets, organizing and gathering jacket image info, etc.). Before that, I graduated with a bachelor's in political science in '01. As you can see, its a liberal arts degree and not a technical one.

As you can also surmise, I'm not that young anymore. I'm 33 and the thought of changing careers (again) seems daunting.

So, I have an attack plan to get that entry-level IT position (hopefully it would be a jr. level network admin type of position but I'll take a help desk position if it gives me exp.):

1. Pass the A+, Network+, and Security+ exams sometime before the end of this summer. I have the A+ All-In-One Guide by Mike Myers and I'm slogging through it. Some of this, especially the historical sections, is a blast-from-the-past because i was into PCs in my high school/early college days (should have majored in CS, I know). I've glanced at the Prof. Messer videos and they seem great. I'll look into those more.

2. Find a job dealing with tech support in some fashion. PC technician, level I help desk, level I admin / jr. network admin. Ideally I can start looking at these jobs after I pass A+.

3. Research other certifications / career paths I can take once I get that first coveted job. Cisco, MS, and Linux all seem appealing. I imagine I will know more once I pass the entry-level exams.

So, my questions to you TechExams community, are:

1. How will my age be a factor in the IT industry? I've heard ageism does effect IT folks. I've even experienced it. Several years ago I interviewed for a job in a linux company. The interviewer replied: "So why should I hire you over a high school kid?" I didn't quite know how to respond to that. I was in my mid-20s at the time.

2. My current teaching career is of a non-technical role--I'm a history teacher, for goodness! How will that affect my future prospects of getting that position? I imagine I could always spin it to emphasize the soft-skills I've developed--companies are always looking for people who can effectively communicate, manage their time well, and are hard-working and loyal. All of these best describe me. I will have to emphasize those "transition skills" on my resume and in future interviews.

3. As I've mentioned, I don't have a technical degree--it's a BA in political science. Will not going back to school to get a degree (whether a AS -- seems like I would be going backwards, or a 2nd Bachelor's or even a Master's) hurt my prospects? Will I be competing against those who have those qualifications? The certification route seems appealing but it may also appear as taking a shortcut. I don't want to incur anymore debt so getting certifications and proving myself seems most appealing. So, in all seriousness, what are my prospects for landing that entry-level tech job?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions would be helpful. I know this post is long but I'm seriously making a career switch--and I think I could use all the advice I can get right now.

I have an Honours degree in History and it didn't hold me back. So we are both Historians. Everyone seems to have an IT type degree these days which is fine, but I kicked back against that when I was at University. I wanted to study something in the arts. But I did go on to get a Masters in IT and I do have 14+ years in the field now.

My advice is not to get hung up on the expense and time of getting this certification or that degree now. Yes you need to invest time and money in qualifications, but so does everyone else. Do you want to be like everyone else? That wont get you hired or get you on..

Spend most of your time looking for opportunities to be taken on, and when taken on, expend your energies doing a good job for the employer. Part of that is solving problems, but the biggest thing is finding ways to save that company money and make that company more money. So think about that, figure out how to do that, and do that. Then the people with technical degrees will be working for you.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of studying for A+ by reading the all in one guide by Mike Meyers. It seems comprehensive and is the book most people recommend. Hopefully I'll take it at or before the school year is out.

I have a couple of questions. First, how best to get hands on experience? I have an old pc, plus my desktop and laptop for daily use. I've switched out ram, hard disks, and pci cards before but nothing really more serious than this, though I am a quick learner when it comes to this. Should I just start taking apart the old pc I have and put it back together again? Second, what are your thoughts on volunteering? I'm considering proposing to volunteer part-time at my current school, though I haven't broached this with the superintendent and it's quite apparent that I won't be hired next year. It would feel awkward to still help out the school that let me go but you need to be flexible, right? Plus, the superintendent is really pushing technology so if I just explain to him my plans, he might actually just go for it.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Look for actual problems and fix them. Volunteering is fine if you have to. Fix your friends' and family's computers, even the stupid, simple problems. Take your PC apart and rebuild it. Then re-install Windows. Read about current hardware online (e.g. Anandtech). Spend as much of your time as you can working and playing with computer hardware and software. Install Linux over Windows and dual-boot -- not because you need Linux knowledge to start or will realitstically every have to dual boot (thanks, virtualization!) -- but because it will force you to effectively research seemingly complex problems on your own. Ultimately, being in IT -- especially at the entry level -- is more about your ability to quickly find the right answers than about knowing them. Edit: Try to create problems for yourself to fix. Back in the day, I used to knowingly execute malware on my computer just so I could fix it.

Focus on getting that hands-on knowledge and experience and your A+. If you have the aptitude and the drive, you could yet be working in IT this year. I got my start with nothing but an A+ and what I knew.

Come back to use once have your A+ and feel you have some decent knowledge and skills. The resume will be the next challenge to tackle, and that is even more important than your actual skill, when it comes down to it.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    IMHO, make sure that the cert study includes a lot of hands on labbing. You need to get a good grasp of what is really going on, with some practical experience (even if it is in a home lab). Use VMWare workstation, create VMs, create a domain, etc etc.

Work through scenarios and try to understand what is going on, or ask if you don't.

Best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know about you guys, but I didn't wake up from my hormone induced coma until my 30s (i.e. busy chasing girls) and I have not saved well for retirement. I plan on working the rest of my life and I have nothing against staying as current as I possibly can. I think if you are an intelligent, active individual it just doesn't matter how old you are. Being 60 would not matter if you were not a grumpy old IT guy who didn't randomly shout, "Back in my day we didn't have those mouse things! You had to tab through the interface!"
  • Options
    Do you recommend attending a tech school? I don't know if I really want to fork over the cash but I will if I have to. I keep seeing ads for PC Age in my area (I'm in nj). Is it possible to get a job with self-study & certs or should I really go to a tech school?

Thanks for past & future advice, I'm fairly confused & uncertain at the moment.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Getting that A+ cert is a start. But the number one thing I can recommend absolutely is to get hands-on experience. Volunteer, if you have to.

It's really important to get that hands-on experience, otherwise you going to be a deer in headlights when you are stomped with a technical problem.
  • Options
    I guess it's the age old question: how do I get experience without a job and how do I get a job without experience? I'll keep looking and see if I can volunteer.

In fact I just found out my contract will not be renewed for next year. I think I'm leaving on good terms and that, although teaching is just not a right fit for me they probably still see me as a loyal and dedicated worker, so they might be amenable to allowing me to volunteer for their it staff this summer. The superintendent is making a big push for technology in the classroom so he might like the idea that I could assist with pc upgrades, setup, troubleshooting, etc. It would allow me to leave on good terms and show future employers that, although teaching wasn't a good fit personally, I am still valued and trusted. I don't know what they will say, I have to approach them with this idea.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    I guess it's the age old question: how do I get experience without a job and how do I get a job without experience? I'll keep looking and see if I can volunteer.

In fact I just found out my contract will not be renewed for next year. I think I'm leaving on good terms and that, although teaching is just not a right fit for me they probably still see me as a loyal and dedicated worker, so they might be amenable to allowing me to volunteer for their it staff this summer. The superintendent is making a big push for technology in the classroom so he might like the idea that I could assist with pc upgrades, setup, troubleshooting, etc. It would allow me to leave on good terms and show future employers that, although teaching wasn't a good fit personally, I am still valued and trusted. I don't know what they will say, I have to approach them with this idea.

Thoughts?

That might work. Also, you can try volunteering for smaller businesses, particularly law firms. I worked at a small firm for four years. The level of work is A+ with basic networking, but it's better than nothing. If you have lots of people you might even get some entry level networking experience in. Most of it is dealing with email clients, BlackBerry, etc. It's a good start.
  • Options
    Do you recommend attending a tech school?
    No. You won't learn anything you can't learn on your own in the same time frame. Self study to get the skills you need. If you get a degree, get a real degree from a real school.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I don't see any point in going back to get an IT related BS unless you can do so in the evenings at very low cost. I don't understand why you want to do low level work, though? This is a very strange path to take. Wouldn't it be more sensible to work on something like an IT management path? That would allow you to work with technology to a degree yet still make a bigger pay check. Something like a Jr admin or Support specialist will not pay very well. The way you're going now, you'll likely spend YEARS working your way up to a low paying position. IT staffers are easily replaceable these days, especially the lower level positions you're striving for. This means that when you get older and need time off, you'll become a liability and the smaller companies will get rid of you. I've seen it happen. You won't have a teachers union to advocate for you. If you want to get into technology, I think that's great but you need to be realistic about it. If you work for a mid sized operation, you want to be high up the chain of command, definitely not a technician. If you work for a larger company, you might be fine as some sort of analyst. A federal position would also seem highly desirable. If you're burned out as a teacher, with all those summers off and holidays, I think you're in for a real surprise in modern day IT! The lower level positions are a joke to work in. I would suggest trying out a summer position before committing too much. Have you read about IT positions in the Occupational Handbook? I would start there as it is surprisingly accurate. At least know what's on the roof before you start climbing the ladder!
  • Options
    I don't see any point in going back to get an IT related BS unless you can do so in the evenings at very low cost. I don't understand why you want to do low level work, though? This is a very strange path to take. Wouldn't it be more sensible to work on something like an IT management path? That would allow you to work with technology to a degree yet still make a bigger pay check. Something like a Jr admin or Support specialist will not pay very well. The way you're going now, you'll likely spend YEARS working your way up to a low paying position. IT staffers are easily replaceable these days, especially the lower level positions you're striving for. This means that when you get older and need time off, you'll become a liability and the smaller companies will get rid of you. I've seen it happen. You won't have a teachers union to advocate for you. If you want to get into technology, I think that's great but you need to be realistic about it. If you work for a mid sized operation, you want to be high up the chain of command, definitely not a technician. If you work for a larger company, you might be fine as some sort of analyst. A federal position would also seem highly desirable. If you're burned out as a teacher, with all those summers off and holidays, I think you're in for a real surprise in modern day IT! The lower level positions are a joke to work in. I would suggest trying out a summer position before committing too much. Have you read about IT positions in the Occupational Handbook? I would start there as it is surprisingly accurate. At least know what's on the roof before you start climbing the ladder!

I admit, this career path is not at all normal. So you're saying I shouldn't strive for a network admin position? I've always had an interest in computers since I was a kid, but various factors have always diverted me away from this route (I've never been great at math so I was intimidated by a CS major, other interests, etc.). I never really want to spend the rest of my life in a help-desk / desktop support role but I understand its necessary to get to higher-paying positions with more responsibility.

As for teaching, yes it will be hard to give up the summers (though I find myself anxious in August as I prep for the new school year). That's one drawback. However, the remaining 10 months of the year are really intense--dealing with mercurial and easily-distracted students, endless grading, planning, parents and admin demanding more and more. I have worked in the private sector before making my (1st) career change into teaching...hands down this job is much harder. It explains why 40-50% of new teachers leave the profession within 5 years.

I've been to a career counselor, took a couple of tests, and it found I'm highly-introverted (which explains why I'm exhausted at the end of the day--being on-stage all the time is tiresome) and have an investigative personality. It seems a number of positions in the IT world could be a right fit for me. Not that I'm choosing a profession based on a test, but it does seem to validate my interests and personality.

An analyst position within a larger company could also be a route--though how does one suppose gaining such a position? Back to school to get a masters in IS? Perhaps...though I'm not sure if I'm willing to do that at the moment. At the moment I'd like to earn my A+, Network+ and perhaps Security+ to see what job I could get (help-desk/desktop support) then take it from there.

And isn't the Occupational Handbook indicating a 20%+ growth in systems and network administrators within 2010-2020? Sounds like its a growth area. And IT management? I imagine some of my skills in teaching can be transferable to management but those are some of the job skills that made me miserable in the first place.
  • Options
    Sure, I was being a little dramatic for shock effect. However, the reality is that just dabbling in some low level position isn't likely to produce quick results and there are as many people doing that now as there are waitresses waiting to be actors in Hollywood. You have to figure out how you will make enough money to buy a nice house, cars, pay for continuing education, tuition for your children, medical bills, retirement, food, hobbies, save for emergencies, and who knows maybe even give the cleaning service a tip. Have you investigated systems admin positions in your area? Probably one of the best things you could do is print out 50 IT jobs in your local area. See what the requirement are (remember requirements are somewhat flexible) and see which jobs would be acceptable to you long term. Which jobs and industries and companies offer the benefits and salaries you require? What are those titles, duties, and requirements. Once you figure that out, you'll answer your questions better than anyone here. I have little doubt that you can make it in IT, the biggest threat would be if you didn't set your long terms goals high enough. In that case, the pay could force you out of the industry in a few years back into another career change and starting all over again. I don't think your age is a big issue, with the right plan you could surpass guys with a decade of experience in 3 years.
  • Options
    Sure, I was being a little dramatic for shock effect. However, the reality is that just dabbling in some low level position isn't likely to produce quick results and there are as many people doing that now as there are waitresses waiting to be actors in Hollywood. You have to figure out how you will make enough money to buy a nice house, cars, pay for continuing education, tuition for your children, medical bills, retirement, food, hobbies, save for emergencies, and who knows maybe even give the cleaning service a tip. Have you investigated systems admin positions in your area? Probably one of the best things you could do is print out 50 IT jobs in your local area. See what the requirement are (remember requirements are somewhat flexible) and see which jobs would be acceptable to you long term. Which jobs and industries and companies offer the benefits and salaries you require? What are those titles, duties, and requirements. Once you figure that out, you'll answer your questions better than anyone here. I have little doubt that you can make it in IT, the biggest threat would be if you didn't set your long terms goals high enough. In that case, the pay could force you out of the industry in a few years back into another career change and starting all over again. I don't think your age is a big issue, with the right plan you could surpass guys with a decade of experience in 3 years.

Thanks for the support. I will keep my eyes open. How could I surpass people with a decade of experience? Are they stagnating in entry-level jobs? My first goal is to try to convince an employer I have the technical knowledge to help them out. I can do this with a) earning certifications--A+, Net+, Sec+ and whatever I decide from there -- MCITP, or CCNA > CCNP depending on what I decide; and b) getting some experience. If I can convince my school I can be helpful with technology (the new super is making a big push with technology) then at least I have a positive reference from my former employer and I can move on in a new direction. I can also say I have some tech exp under my belt. Additionally, I wouldn't mind getting a grad degree in IS or IT Administration. NJIT (I'm in NJ) offers both so they might be options near term. And I know what you mean about putting food on the table. My wife and I are ok financially but we want to continue to save and when we have our first child we will want to support him/her. So these are all the thoughts that are going through my mind. They were the same when I first started out in teaching--stability, time off w/ holidays/summers/early hours. Problem is that I really don't enjoy the work and the hours are much longer than initially appears because of grading, lesson planning, etc.

I know I can do this; it's just daunting right now. And again, thanks for your advice and support. I've been lurking on this board for awhile and it seems like a nice resource of information. Seems like a great community.
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    Thanks for the support. I will keep my eyes open. How could I surpass people with a decade of experience? Are they stagnating in entry-level jobs? My first goal is to try to convince an employer I have the technical knowledge to help them out. I can do this with a) earning certifications--A+, Net+, Sec+ and whatever I decide from there -- MCITP, or CCNA > CCNP depending on what I decide; and b) getting some experience. If I can convince my school I can be helpful with technology (the new super is making a big push with technology) then at least I have a positive reference from my former employer and I can move on in a new direction. I can also say I have some tech exp under my belt. Additionally, I wouldn't mind getting a grad degree in IS or IT Administration. NJIT (I'm in NJ) offers both so they might be options near term. And I know what you mean about putting food on the table. My wife and I are ok financially but we want to continue to save and when we have our first child we will want to support him/her. So these are all the thoughts that are going through my mind. They were the same when I first started out in teaching--stability, time off w/ holidays/summers/early hours. Problem is that I really don't enjoy the work and the hours are much longer than initially appears because of grading, lesson planning, etc.

I know I can do this; it's just daunting right now. And again, thanks for your advice and support. I've been lurking on this board for awhile and it seems like a nice resource of information. Seems like a great community.

Don't go for a CCNP without some experience in that field first. Not only will the test be extremely hard and challenging, but a CCNP on a resume with no networking experience is basically useless.
  • Options
    I know far more people in IT who are stagnating than those who are really moving forward. One thing you can do is take charge once you get your foot in the door. Find people who will show you stuff, do the company volunteer work even if not directly IT related, start a club based on your hobbies through work (good PR for the company and good networking for you), when someone is tasked with a project or research offer to help them out, by being proactive you can bypass the guys who are just doing their job. Make yourself available to the people who are in higher level positions. Ask them if it would be possible to shadow them on something and get your manager to sign off on it as education. Begin taking over tasks or groups, before long you'll be working an entirely different job than when you started. When the person leaves whose duties you've been helping with you will be the best qualified since you already do the work! If they don't leave, you've still doubled your skill set within a year. Before you start that, I would go back to searching the local positions though. Read the Occupational Handbook one more time. I would even call some of the companies you're especially interested with and see if you could interview the person whose position you'd be interested in. If all else fails, once you're really sure you know what you want to do ask here for people who work that specific position in a similar company so you can confirm your feelings. This is also the best way to determine the ROI on anything you do education wise going forward. Introversion can't stand in the way, you are going to have to use social skills (as well as technical skills) in order to archive the best and fastest results. I cannot really afford an MS either. I am looking at WGU as I'm told it's possible to obtain an MS for as little as 6,000$.
  • Options
    Jay131Jay131 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi bmy78,

I'm in the same boat as you. I am a teacher, and I know I can make it in IT, I have so may friends that have done it. I believe a the big key is the experience and that first full-time job. The certs and degrees come easy (crazy but in today's economy, just working your ass off for years is the starting line), but you need something like and internship or help-desk to get you the right experience. If your internship is in security, man, you'd be set. Or if you had those two years of help-desk plus good certs, I think you'd get the 50k+ job.

I think its unfortunate but we just can't get a definitive answer to the real question -- how would you fare in the interview, who do you know in IT, ect. Its all about experience. And thats an x-factor.

So ... if one does career change, just pick the job market with the fastest growth and best match for your interests. Its the only logical way I can think of ...
  • Options
    Novalith - I don't expect to go anywhere near ccnp until I get experience. I'm just thinking that could be something to achieve in a few years time. I'd like to get the CompTIA trio and depending what I feel like go from there, whether that would be cisco, ms, or red hat I don't know at this point.

Jay, what is your teaching background and how are you making the shift to it? I'm always curious how people make these sort of major career changes. Most people don't, but I know there are those that do. What's your plan? I think we need a support group for those like us.

This forum is really a haven and a wealth of information. It's what made me think a career shift is possible. Thanks for everyone's advice and expertise.
  • Options
    scorpio2971scorpio2971 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm glad I ran into this thread - I want to share my experience and opinion on what helped me and you can take from it whatever might help you make decisions. I don't have an "IT" background. I have my BA in Poli-Sci and had sales jobs for the majority of my career early on. Back in 2005 I transitioned into software sales - but I had no tech skills, just sales skills transferred over to another industry. But landing a job in a software company was key for me. It opened up a pathway of sorts. It gave me exposure. I met with different people with various IT backgrounds. My software sales career led me to being a technical account manager at a networking company, then back in 2009 I lost my job. I had no real IT training or education. Just exposure to some SaaS environments and working for a content delivery network provider. Nothing on my resume "stood" out to make me marketable. I started talking to recruiters, friends in IT, and then decided to start my Masters of Science in Information Systems at DePaul University in Chicago. I barreled through 1/3 of my degree quickly so I could put some of it on my resume. That was summer of 2010. I started getting calls and interviews and by the end of summer landed a job as a pre-sales engineer for a small software company here in Chicago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay in that job more than 6 months as I had a family situation to take care of, but have been taking classes and am now half done with my masters degree and am looking to get back to full time work. It's not easy, but I am still getting calls off of LinkedIn or from recruiters who hit my resume up on Dice. In talking with these recruiters, they all say the same thing (at least to me) and that is this: if you're going to go to school, make sure whatever it is builds on your past experience in some manner, or make sure you utilize your past experience in some manner. I was lucky - my background in sales, then sliding over to technical sales, then sliding over into a pre-sales engineering spot was something I never thought I would be doing. My employer flat out told me after hiring me that they liked the sales background combined with technical knowledge and skills brought in by the degree at DePaul. I have to admit that the tuition at DePaul is killing me, but it made it worthwhile. Also, the hiring manager told me that he doesn't like to see people who inflate their resume's with all sorts of certs that have zero relevance to the job they are applying for and thinks that certs are good to pursue when you are already exposed to a certain field of technology and are trying to become an expert in that field. On the flip side, he also did mention that if somebody doesn't have the necessary experience, he does take into consideration that an individual has the technological aptitude if they show they've done something with A+/Network+ etc... however I am now in the same quandry - what can I do to stand out again? Lately a recruiter has told me that Certs are an excellent way to show you have the interest, even if you haven't passed the exam - you can still put it on your resume with the expected date of completion in parenthesis.... anyways, just sharing my thoughts and my experiences!
  • Options
    JASK0JASK0 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone. Great thread so far, even better forum from what I've read. I don't mean to thread-jack you bmy78, but didn't see the point in creating a new thread on the same situation.

I'm in dire need of a career change! I'm 27 and am working as a juvenile probation officer, which is under a state agency, making crap money (~$31k a year). With limited room for growth, I'm just at my witts end. I graduated college in 2007 with a BA in Criminal Justice and was hired doing what I do now in 2008; I've been here for 4 years. I don't have anything on papaer or job-wise experience with IT at all, but have always been that 'go-to' guy within my friends and family when there were computer and/or tech problems.

I've been messing around computers since I was young and AOL was still thriving with punters and mailbombs. I don't really have knowledge of networking or anything really technical along thing lines of that, but am more familiar than most I know with the basics and how to configure, tweak, and fix hardware/software issues that are common amongst the average person.

I am confident that I can teach myself IT subjects. My job now allows me to have a lot of free time on my hands. I stay ahead of my work and find myself just surfing the web most of the day. I've come to the conclusion that I need to use this time to get myself out of this situation.

However long it takes, I'm determined to switch fields. I really don't foresee growth in the job / field I'm at. I've been applying to jobs in my field since 2008, when I was hired as a probation officer. I always thought that this would be my foot in the door that would lead me to bigger and better things. That's not the case at all and quite frankly, I'm just burnt out of it.

My coworker, who's dabbled in the IT field, tells me I should get certified in C++, try to find an entry-level job from there, work there, get more certifications, and go from there. I see everyone's mentioning to start with an A+ certification. I also see a lot of you are certified in "Cisco CCNA". My local college offers a Cisco CCNA certification course that I could do, but would need to satisfy the prerequisites first. Do you guys advise a certain path for a person like myself?

I read what was said earlier: try to use my background to what I want to do in the future. I wouldn't have any issuesin going into any fields in IT really. I have no problem fixing grandma's laptop all day, wiring routers / switches, or anything really. So many with my Criminal Justice background, would a Security+ certification be beneficial for me?

Another thing is, my long-term girlfriend right now works at an IT company that's in the medical field. They're always looking for new Technical Analysts, but the position requires knowledge / certification of SQL. This always had be interested as that, "it's who you know" factor in trying to land a job at her company. I was also looking into this. Any thoughts on that?

In all honesty, I'm not looking for an easy way in. If it's going to take some time, by all means. I'm perfectly fine aiming at an entry-level "low-paying" (I put that in quotes due to what I make now. I imagine nothing in the IT field gets as low as that) position to start off with, work for that, learn more, get certified more, apply elsewhere. I just want to get into the field and grow from there, but just want to know where the hell I should start first.

Any more advice for myself or bmy78 would be great.
    :)

Also, bmy78: how's your journey going?
  • Options
    TofTheGoatTofTheGoat Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JASK0 wrote: »
    punters and mailbombs

ao-life was the best. How I miss those days. **** STEVE CASE!!

This really is a great thread. I am in the same boat like much of you. Late 20's stuck in a go-nowhere sales job and looking to get back to my roots. I took the plunge in February to enroll in WGU... I have to work full-time to pay the bills and knew I wouldn't hold myself to a cert schedule without someone or something looming over my shoulder. So far it's been great. Got my A+ last Saturday. Now comes the point when I have to figure out when to jump ship at my current gig and try to get an IT job. I already have a BS in Business Admin with an emphasis in Info Sys, but there was virtually no technical curriculum at my school, hence why I'm going the WGU route now.
  • Options
    TofTheGoat wrote: »
    ao-life was the best. How I miss those days. **** STEVE CASE!!

I am in the same boat like much of you. Late 20's stuck in a go-nowhere sales job and looking to get back to my roots. I took the plunge in February to enroll in WGU... I have to work full-time to pay the bills and knew I wouldn't hold myself to a cert schedule without someone or something looming over my shoulder. So far it's been great. Got my A+ last Saturday. Now comes the point when I have to figure out when to jump ship at my current gig and try to get an IT job. I already have a BS in Business Admin with an emphasis in Info Sys, but there was virtually no technical curriculum at my school, hence why I'm going the WGU route now.

lol, AO-Life definitely were the good 'ol days.

Glad to hear your story though, TofTheGoat! I actually just went to my local college and they recommended that I should go back to school to get another Bachelor's degree in IT or MIS. They said it would only take me a year to do it, but I don't know if this is the best route to go (versus just acquiring certifications).. certainly since it's going to require me to take loans out. I'm just afraid of doing all that and then being stuck in the same situation with an additional piece of paper (degree).

How were the A+ courses? What's your overall goal? Are you enrolled there to get a Bachelor's in something or is WGU a certification school? I'm assuming this is online also. (Let me load the WGU site so I stop asking these questions lol)
  • Options
    Wow, it's good to know I'm not alone! It's reassuring to hear about your stories and how you manage to transition to a more tech-savvy job.

As for me, it's official that I won't be returning to my teaching position next year. I'm planning on earning A+ and Network+ (possibly Security+, if there's time) certifications by the end of summer. Then I hope to land a help desk job where I can work hard and work my way up. Additionally, I'd like to earn more certs--not sure if I want to go the MS or Cisco route yet but I imagine there's time for that later.

I visited one of the local tech schools around here for certification and they wanted to charge over 20K for a year's worth of education in A+, Network+, CCNA, and MS certs. I didn't think that would be worth it, given that I would probably still just qualify for a $15/hr help desk job anyway, and that these certs can be accomplished on my own. For that price, I might as well go for a Master's (which isn't out of the cards, but it just in the immediate near-term).

I've visited a career counselor last month and may return to update my resume and list my 'transferable skills.' I haven't really started looking yet, because I really can't be hired until the end of June when my contract expires. So if I send out resumes, get interviews, and say 'Can you start Monday?' I would have to say, 'Umm...no not really, can't start until the end of June." "Oh, bummer, ok we'll hire the runner up."

Anyway, how does my plan sound? I think it sounds feasible, though sometimes perhaps I think I should go the programming/software engineering route, which would probably require a master's degree in either IS or CS. I've done some Java and Web development in the past (HTML/CSS with PHP) programming in the past and rather liked it.

JASKO, I don't blame you for wanting to leave your position. It must be draining.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds like a plan. Have you started any of the work for the A+ and/or Networking+ certifications?

As for the certification courses go, I feel that as long as you have discipline and determination to learn it yourself, you could teach yourself. Of course the tech school will tell you to take their courses. I'm sure it's beneficial, but they want their money too. As for as the master's goes, that's why I don't want to get a masters right now. I'd have to take much pre-req courses to even enroll into IT courses. In the end, it always comes down to that masters vs certifications question. I think in this field though, as long as you have a bachelor's degree and the certifications to back you up, you'll be hirable somewhere.

I was speaking with my friend who's a computer wiz and he's certified in Networking+ and some other Microsoft credential. He said that would be a good route to go.

With a Networking+ certification, he said I may be able to become a network admin somehere eventually. Anyone have any input on that?

I'd like to venture into the Security+ cert as well eventually, hoping that would piggyback off my criminal justice degree.

AHH. There's so many avenues to start in, I feel like I just want someone to give me an outline on what to take. But I guess I'll start with Network+ for now.
  • Options
    TofTheGoatTofTheGoat Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JASK0 wrote: »
    lol, AO-Life definitely were the good 'ol days.

Glad to hear your story though, TofTheGoat! I actually just went to my local college and they recommended that I should go back to school to get another Bachelor's degree in IT or MIS. They said it would only take me a year to do it, but I don't know if this is the best route to go (versus just acquiring certifications).. certainly since it's going to require me to take loans out. I'm just afraid of doing all that and then being stuck in the same situation with an additional piece of paper (degree).

How were the A+ courses? What's your overall goal? Are you enrolled there to get a Bachelor's in something or is WGU a certification school? I'm assuming this is online also. (Let me load the WGU site so I stop asking these questions lol)

I think its a very personal decision trying to decide between a degree program or if you know you can hold yourself to a certification schedule. Personally, I've been telling myself almost from the day I graduated with my business degree that I was going to get my A+. I graduated in May 2006 and just got it last Saturday. How'd that work out for me? lol... It wasn't until I enrolled in Western Governors in February that I was actually able to get it done. For me, it was the fact that I was now going to be held accountable by someone else. Call me lazy or unmotivated, but after working 10 hours a day its just what I personally need. WGU was a good fit because it was cheap, online, and I could finish easy courses as quickly as I wanted. Money is one of the biggest reasons I chose WGU -- I don't have a lot of excess funds to pay for study materials or test vouchers for certifications; now I have student loans to be able to pay for it. I know some people would say that its not worth it from that aspect and that there are plenty of cheap studying materials and things like Professor Messer, but for me I tried that and it wasn't the right fit FOR ME. It may be the right fit for you! I think if you're like me and you've taken more than 6 months, a year, FIVE+ years (me) to get your A+, then yes a degree program might be a better fit.

For the A+, WGU breaks each exam into two different courses, so your Essentials exam is one course and the Practical exam is a second. WGU utilizes Testout's LabSim for the main teaching mechanism. I loved it. They have videos, practice tests, and a virtual lab simulator. Even if you don't enroll in WGU, check out TestOut -- they really have a great product and for multiple certs. I coupled that with the Mike Myers book and practice exams straight off CompTIA's site. I took the 701 and 702 exams on different days -- admittedly, I was a little nervous for the 701, simply because it was the first exam I had taken since I graduated school. Passed it with a 762... wasn't thrilled, but at least satisfied I passed. I was definitely set on scoring higher on the 702 and ended up with an 857.

It's hard to say what my overall goal is right now. My main mindset it to get these first few certs and get a Help Desk job. Conversely, a lot of my classmates with the same Business Admin/Info Sys degree got IT Auditing jobs right out of school, so I may look into that again. I see where they are now, and while they all have good jobs, I don't know that it is where I want to be in five years. Long-term I'm kinda more interested in building up to a network security/assurance career, and then possibly going back to a brick & mortar grad school to get into research. That plan is more than 5-10 years away, so who knows. I'm kinda just going with the flow for now and trying to actually get an IT job and get out of sales.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As others have said, having an IT degree won't pay off in the long run. Work on those entry level certs, find a good helpdesk position, hopefully with a company that offers the ability to move up within the organization and move forward that way. Chances are low that you'd be able to jump into a networking or sever position after just a couple of years experience with a helpdesk (I'm sadly very much one who has had to earn his lumps over several years), but it's possible if you are with a company that will promote you from within. That would be the quickest way to get where you want to be, and at your age it's not too old to be starting over. If you were late 40's or older, that would be an issue.

I'd also look at possibly picking up the MCTS on Windows 7 (70-680) to help bolster your entry level plans and find a good job. There's alot of competition at that level, but one that isn't too hard to beat them out by showcasing your soft skills and people skills. That's a big thing when it comes to help desk. Keep your chin up and fight for those certs. Personally, I would get that A+ and the MCTS for windows 7 first if possible, then pick up the Network + as it won't be as necessary for a helpdesk role to start with. Keep up the good work and the fire you have.
  • Options
    I've been contemplating picking up a Windows cert as well, though I wasn't sure which one (you've clarified things for me--thanks). I'm sure it would be marketable for the type of working I would be looking for; I'll consider it, though I'd still like to earn A+ and Network+ before the end of the summer.

I don't, however, want to end up in help desk for a long period of time. I know its a long road, though I would like to keep moving forward, either by earning certs or graduate coursework/certificates/degrees. If I can't get professional work, then I'll look to build either a windows or cisco home lab in the basement and at least have that as experience. But that's something for next year--right now I just want to get the basics.