Options

Hitting the certification "wall"

Mah BahlsMah Bahls Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Been spending a lot of time trying to get my MCITP for Windows 7 Admin and I can't seem to keep focused on it anymore. I start reading the books or watching the CBT and I just get bored with it. I enjoy the technology, but I cannot seem to stay on top of my training recently.

Anyone else experience these waves of major drive followed by a lull period? Anyone have any suggestions on how to push through it without burning myself out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You know, for some odd reason, I have the exact same experience with Microsoft certs. I find myself excited and engaged at first, but it quickly sputters out and I have trouble staying on-topic and have to find ways to force myself to keep studying one topic or another. I don't always have the same problem with Cisco or Linux stuff, it seems to be a common theme only when dealing with Microsoft technologies.

Right now, I'm crunching for the 70-643 exam and there are times I'm so burned out on Remote Desktop Services or storage that I need a break, so I hop over to looking at Exchange for a bit - since I'm also planning on taking 70-662 at some point - until I find myself snoozing while studying mailbox configuration or installing an edge server, then I hop back to the 70-643 stuff again.

If you feel like you're completely losing your drive, take a break from what you're specifically focused on and come back to it after a while of doing something else. Trust me, it'll do wonders.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mah Bahls wrote: »
    Hey all,

Been spending a lot of time trying to get my MCITP for Windows 7 Admin and I can't seem to keep focused on it anymore. I start reading the books or watching the CBT and I just get bored with it. I enjoy the technology, but I cannot seem to stay on top of my training recently.

Anyone else experience these waves of major drive followed by a lull period? Anyone have any suggestions on how to push through it without burning myself out?

Thanks!

This is exactly how I feel!! Sorry, but studying 20 different way to deploy Windows 7 for the 70-680 exam does get a little old after awhile.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I get this after I've failed an exam multiple times.....

I suggest trying to make the learning experience a little fun.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The only way I can push through it is to schedule the test itself for a few weeks out, depending on my schedule of course. I've kinda hit the wall myself on MS certs mainly because I've been finishing up my degree and spending the time doing that. I'm just trying to decide on what to do next that would help me in my career.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear what your saying. I've basically planned out the next 2 1/2 years of my life on certs and another graduate degree. I'm starting to wonder if I will burn out before I meet my goals..
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey all,

Thanks!

Im my experience it's not so much a certification wall as just a wall. Take a month out and do something else then comeback refreshed.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Im my experience it's not so much a certification wall as just a wall. Take a month out and do something else then comeback refreshed.

I agree with "the wall" concept.

However, when it comes to financial books and just basic industry reads I am all over it and enjoy it. When it comes to studying for a certification, I am feeling the burn myself. I have enough in me to finish the PMP even with another fail, no guartnees after that.

To the OP, I would consider mixing up your study plans. If you are reading a lot or watching a lot of video, try goofing around labbing or something else. Maybe step away from that technology and try to learn another at a high level. Sometimes just getting away in general can reboost you. Read others blogs and get involved in networking groups. Those individuals will push you, that's how I have gotten over the hump a few times.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I agree with "the wall" concept.

However, when it comes to financial books and just basic industry reads I am all over it and enjoy it. When it comes to studying for a certification, I am feeling the burn myself. I have enough in me to finish the PMP even with another fail, no guartnees after that.

To the OP, I would consider mixing up your study plans. If you are reading a lot or watching a lot of video, try goofing around labbing or something else. Maybe step away from that technology and try to learn another at a high level. Sometimes just getting away in general can reboost you. Read others blogs and get involved in networking groups. Those individuals will push you, that's how I have gotten over the hump a few times.

Your tactics are wise, but it really depends where you are at. Change things and push yourself if that is what you need. But do some introspection first. If that is what you need, do that. If what you need is to walk away for a while. Do that.
    One must avoid the certification ratrace. It's over anyway. Today it's about careers, and they take years to evolve and largely depend on balance in life and a positive outlook in ones life :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your tactics are wise, but it really depends where you are at. Change things and push yourself if that is what you need. But do some introspection first. If that is what you need, do that. If what you need is to walk away for a while. Do that.
    One must avoid the certification ratrace. It's over anyway. Today it's about careers, and they take years to evolve and largely depend on balance in life and a positive outlook in ones life :)

I agree 100000% The certification rat race is over, it's dead. It actually died a while ago, it just takes time for the process to catch up. Value and delivery is where it's at. If the company spends X amount of dollars on you and you produce Y, Y being on the + side of things you are in good shape and well on your way to moving up. If you are dead weight and are viewed as a necessary evil make sure to keep your resume polished up.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I agree 100000% The certification rat race is over, it's dead. It actually died a while ago, it just takes time for the process to catch up. Value and delivery is where it's at. If the company spends X amount of dollars on you and you produce Y, Y being on the + side of things you are in good shape and well on your way to moving up. If you are dead weight and are viewed as a necessary evil make sure to keep your resume polished up.

Career is about lifestyle management as much as 'gotta, gotta, gotta' at work and on certification. One needs to find a balance, or you will be overworked, have personal problems, stop hitting targets and fade away. The last 15 years, lots of high octane people got into IT for the rewards. They worked 24/7. It was rewarded for a few years but it isn't healthy or sustainable. The spoon went to the nose, the results fell away and they got replaced. Lots of highly qualified IT pros from the 1997-2002 on welfare today. Beware. Look for a 10 year healthy sustainable plan in this industry.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Career is about lifestyle management as much as 'gotta, gotta, gotta' at work and on certification. One needs to find a balance, or you will be overworked, have personal problems, stop hitting targets and fade away. The last 15 years, lots of high octane people got into IT for the rewards. They worked 24/7. It was rewarded for a few years but it isn't healthy or sustainable. The spoon went to the nose, the results fell away and they got replaced. Lots of highly qualified IT pros from the 1997-2002 on welfare today. Beware. Look for a 10 year healthy sustainable plan in this industry.

+1 to this!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    The only way I can push through it is to schedule the test itself for a few weeks out, depending on my schedule of course. I've kinda hit the wall myself on MS certs mainly because I've been finishing up my degree and spending the time doing that. I'm just trying to decide on what to do next that would help me in my career.

That's how I manage to do certs myself, I have to give myself a hard target to hit. Without that target there's not enough sense of urgency for me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey all,

Thanks!

I had the same issues with MS exams. Maybe that area isn't for you. I started doing Cisco certs and love it. I actually look forward to going home and studying after working all day. That there tells me I'm doing something right. If you feel like sticking with the MS route, all I can say is push through it as best you can. Mix the material up. If you had a rough day, watch the nugget video instead of reading the book.

I use a wdlive box, which allows me to stream the cbt videos from my pc to my tv. I find it more relaxing to eat my dinner on the couch instead of looking a monitor after being at work.

I also pay for the exam. I try not to move it back unless I have to.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action