Options

Get certified Get ahead SYo-301

mantoothmantooth Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have been viewing this forum for awhile and it seems pretty clear that the Darril Gibson sec+ book is a great way to go to get certified. So this weeked I downloaded it to my kindle reader. I have found something early that might be a problem. In the introduction, under the "Remember this" heading it speaks of text boxes that highlight important information you should remember to successfully pass the exam. This sentenance got me super excited about this book because this is what I need. I turned the page and i see..

"These text boxes will look like this: "

It's blank. There is no box. How are eReaders of this book suppose to pick up on this vital tool for this book if the character does not appear? I have tried to change the colors and other setting stuff but it does not appear.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I have a Kindle too and sometimes run into problems like this, although never had anything entirely missing. Anyways, try to change font size, page to landscape, or zoom out. A lot of techbooks are formatted primarily for larger screens, so you would need Kindle for PC or maybe an iPad to see everything right. These books are usually marked as large format or something like that. If all else fails, get a hold of Amazon, they are actually pretty good a refunding poorly formatted Kindle books.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    This is what the Kindle warning will say... Optimized for larger screens: This title has complex layouts and has been optimized for reading on devices with larger screens.
  • Options
    I have the kindle reader on my ipad. I'll monkey around with the settings more.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I did all I could and the whatever the symbol is suppose to be there is not showing up.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As you get further into the book, you will see what looks like this:

blah blah blah blah blah

Shows up just fine on my Ipad. Haven't had a problem through chapter 9. On to ten.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Here's a link to a graphic of what this looks like within the Kindle with the Remember This text box circled in red: http://getcertifiedgetahead.com/gcsa_graphics/rememberthis.png

I captured the graphic on my PC version of Kindle and I also double-checked my iPad to verify the text displays.

For comparison, here's a link to a graphic of what this looks like in a paper copy of the book:
    http://getcertifiedgetahead.com/gcsa_graphics/rememberthisbook.png. In the paper copy (which is what the majority of people purchase) the text box looks much more like a box. Ebook readers have some limitations with aesthetics, but the text should still display. If it isn't displaying you may need to reload the Kindle app.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help.

Darril,
    Would you mind looking at the preassisment test at the front of the book and see if you see the answers to question 95 have letters in front of them?
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    mantooth wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help.

Darril,
    Would you mind looking at the preassisment test at the front of the book and see if you see the answers to question 95 have letters in front of them?

Yes. Despite spending a lot of time and effort trying to make sure that errors don't slip into a book, they always seem to sneak in. You might like to check out the errata page for this book: Errata page for SY0-301 Study Guide