Options

Opions wanted about current JOB OFFER

FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay so as some of you may know i have been interning for a company for the past 6 months (counts as one of my college courses). Well finally today they held a meeting with me and offered me a job for when i graduate in May. The position is for a Desktop Engineer role and i would be paid in the low 40's annually and i would also recieve overtime pay. The company seems to be growing fast and the environment is great! My goal, however, is to eventually become a network engineer.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take it and learn as much as you can.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    do you think it would hurt if i asked if the salary is negotiable?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about you, but 42 (low), would still be 21 per hour. That's not including overtime.

I get ... not even close to that. :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I've read to not ask about negotations if it's only for a few thousand.

I wouldn't even ask, low 40's is great for beginner in IT. I started much lower than that less than 2 years ago.
  • Options
    dberg79dberg79 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would ask more about setting performance reviews for future pay raises based on how well you do. Say every 6 months to start and every year after a couple years.
  • Options
    okay thanks guys i will accept the offer as is then. and rogue... 42 hit the nail right on the head lol
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm making 46,000~ a year salaried as a Network Engineer.. Then again, I'm relatively young and have just signed on. IMO, it was 50k a year and 2 weeks vacation, or what I make now and 3.5 weeks.

Guess which one I took, keke.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    ive also been with this company for 3-4 years. I used to work in their accounting department during my summer vacations.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For someone just getting out of college, that sounds like pretty good pay. I would take it and be happy with it for a year... learn everything that you can while you are on the job. Shoot for a 3-6% raise and stick it out another year. If you cannot get more responsibilities by then, look for another job at about a 15% increase... rinse and repeat.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take it and don't look back. In a year or so, re-evaluate.

Congrats on the offer!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In today's economy it would be silly to refuse an offer. Even if it isn't the job you'd want, that salary is good for your position and you got nothing to lose. Always good to check what sort of growth you can have within the company - maybe you can still grow into a network engineer role. Plus, once you are in a job you have all the time in the world to look for something more suitable ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Take it and learn as much as you can.
    This.
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    In today's economy it would be silly to refuse an offer. Even if it isn't the job you'd want, that salary is good for your position and you got nothing to lose. Always good to check what sort of growth you can have within the company - maybe you can still grow into a network engineer role. Plus, once you are in a job you have all the time in the world to look for something more suitable ..
    This.
    Tackle wrote: »
    I've read to not ask about negotations if it's only for a few thousand.

I wouldn't even ask, low 40's is great for beginner in IT. I started much lower than that less than 2 years ago.
    And this.

Also congrats :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    WFMAHWFMAH Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take that offer and OWN the job! Then get promoted or get out! lol