Options

Security+ Exam (Updated)

j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts on this board for sharing their experience and providing guidance for this certification. I'm taking the Security+ exam in the morning and I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Hopefully nothing too weird pops up tomorrow on the test.

I'll report back afterwards!

Comments

• Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Best of luck! Welcome to the club when you PASS! :)icon_cheers.gif
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Hi again,

So I went in to take my test at 11:15am and came out of there around 12:15pm with an 859/900. I am one very happy camper today.

Thanks again to everyone!
  • Options
    blng_blngblng_blng Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying off and on for this cert for a while...
    Am I just freaking out or is it actually hard?
    If you killed it in an hour, I am starting to think it is really not that big of a deal...
  • Options
    blng_blng wrote: »
    I have been studying off and on for this cert for a while...
    Am I just freaking out or is it actually hard?
    If you killed it in an hour, I am starting to think it is really not that big of a deal...

I probably studied on average 3-4 hours a day for about a month and a half. My primary source was Darril's SY0-301 book (a great read). I also watched Professor Messer's videos (they're good, but I found that I didn't retain too much from them and might have been able to cut down on how much time I spent with this certification if I didn't watch them). From Darril's book I made flash cards for everything that seemed relevant or was covered in list of exam objectives. After studying the flash cards for a while, I did every question from his book and followed that up by going over to Barnes and Noble and doing every question from Glen Clarke's book. If something showed up in Clarke's book and was not covered in Darril's, I took note of that. As you can probably tell from this rundown of preparations, I spent a pretty significant amount of time studying. I'm making a career change/trying to break into IT and for me, the preparation was more about truly understanding the concepts (passing the test was just a pretty awesome bonus).

To answer your question, don't freak out - just study hard. Know the terminology, know its meaning and know how/why it's applied. Also know when it isn't applied and why. If you do these things, you'll do well on the exam.
  • Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    j86cici wrote: »
    Hi again,

So I went in to take my test at 11:15am and came out of there around 12:15pm with an 859/900. I am one very happy camper today.

Congrats!!! good score
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    j86cici wrote: »
    Hi again,

Congratulations. Great score. Good luck on the career change.
  • Options
    kprakpra Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I have taken the security plus exam yday and scored 833.
    I exam was not that tuff.All u need to have is a thorough knowledge on the concepts bcos some questions were direct,some were confusing.Some questions were very tricky though.
    Firstly, since they are multiple choice question start eliminating the options those which are irrelevant.Makes it easy for you to choose the correct option.
    Secondly, Read the question twice and understand what answer they are exactly looking for (this is the most tricky part).
    Thirdly,Good knowledge on the concept and practicing more exams.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kpra wrote: »
    Hi,

I have taken the security plus exam yday and scored 833.
    I exam was not that tuff.All u need to have is a thorough knowledge on the concepts bcos some questions were direct,some were confusing.Some questions were very tricky though.
    Firstly, since they are multiple choice question start eliminating the options those which are irrelevant.Makes it easy for you to choose the correct option.
    Secondly, Read the question twice and understand what answer they are exactly looking for (this is the most tricky part).
    Thirdly,Good knowledge on the concept and practicing more exams.

Hope this helps.

Congrats! You are a spot on in your description of the exam.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    CONGRATZ! Good score!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Congratulations on the pass kpra. Good luck on your next adventure.
  • Options
    slo_copeslo_cope Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Darril, I just ordered your book, however, I've been studying the Security+ Study Guide by Emmet Dulaney? Are you (or anyone) familiar with it, and how does it compare with the study material in your book?
  • Options
    slo_cope wrote: »
    Hi Darril, I just ordered your book, however, I've been studying the Security+ Study Guide by Emmet Dulaney? Are you (or anyone) familiar with it, and how does it compare with the study material in your book?

Thanks. I haven't looked at Emmet Dulaney's current edition so I can't really speak to it. Maybe someone else can.

I do know that many people are taking and passing the Security+exam the first time they take it when using my book.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    Thanks. I haven't looked at Emmet Dulaney's current edition so I can't really speak to it. Maybe someone else can.

I do know that many people are taking and passing the Security+exam the first time they take it when using my book.

Good luck.

That's for sure! slo_cope, I didn't read Dulaney's book, but I did a couple of chapters of practices questions from his text and did not find it to be incredibly helpful. He seems to use different terminology for items covered in the exam objectives, that was my major problem with it. How can you answer a question if you aren't 100% sure what someone is asking?

I will say this though, you will be set for the test if you can read Darril's book and then answer questions from other books with a fairly high success rate.
  • Options
    slo_copeslo_cope Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great - thanks guys. Looking forward to digging into it!