Options

ICND2: passed!

fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
Hi!
I took the ICND1 on January 24, and ICND2 today.
The exam wasn't easy, I didn't rush and I had less than 10 minutes left when I finally finished.
I hope I can get a junior network admin job somewhere, because I'm unemployed atm.

The big question is what to do next?
I want to be a CCNP, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to jump into the CCNP topics without any experience, and this is why I'm thinking about the CCNA Security/Voice/Wireless cert.
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I'd recommend going into CCNP, once you're done there go back into the specifics on the CCNA - Voice, Wireless, Security. That's what I'm doing.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome job. The CCNA is sweet!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the pass, Fsanyee!

CCNP is a solid foundation to understand what's under the hood of the other concentration tracks (Wireless, voice, security).

Voice, as i've heard here is more of a middle ground (difficulty wise). ccna > ccna:v > ccnp.

However, CCNP is generally thought of as the best ROI (Return of investment) prior to going to any concentration track. Troubleshooting skills will always be needed.
    Also, keep in mind that passing an Associate-level certification will not renew a Professional-Expert level certification.

Don't think of a certification as the be-all to land a great job. A warning:
    Unless you have experience with the physical hardware, landing a job outside an entry position is going to be hard. Most people I know of that are network admins only allow people that are geekier than myself with experience and the hardware. [touch their networks]

A certification without experience isn't going to land you a great paying job, solo - unless you're willing to take a massive pay cut (generally speaking). That's not to say that a certification is worthless, just be aware that certs alone don't tell the entire story and you will be tested somehow with your certification prowess at interviews.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Don't think of a certification as the be-all to land a great job. A warning:
    Unless you have experience with the physical hardware, landing a job outside an entry position is going to be hard. Most people I know of that are network admins only allow people that are geekier than myself with experience and the hardware. [touch their networks]

A certification without experience isn't going to land you a great paying job, solo - unless you're willing to take a massive pay cut (generally speaking). That's not to say that a certification is worthless, just be aware that certs alone don't tell the entire story and you will be tested somehow with your certification prowess at interviews.

First of all thank you!
    I don't really understand what you want to say with this. I know that I can't have the best job without experience, but I have to start somewhere even if it don't pay too much. Everybody was a junior before stepped to the higher levels, this is how it's work.
  • Options
    seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats fsanyee!
    ~ Sean
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    First of all thank you!
    I don't really understand what you want to say with this. I know that I can't have the best job without experience, but I have to start somewhere even if it don't pay too much. Everybody was a junior before stepped to the higher levels, this is how it's work.

I thought you mean Junior as a higher-than-entry-level person.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck with the job hunt!!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations! Good luck with whatever path you take!

Also, good luck in the job hunt!
  • Options
    Thank you everybody!
    Is there anyone else who recommend me to go for the CCNP insted of an other CCNA concentration path? I'm confused... :)
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've just passed the CCNA recently too and have gone straight into ROUTE for CCNP. I came to the conclusion that unless I had a specific need for a concentration, that CCNP would be the way to go.

I plan going back to CCNA-Sec and/or CCDA after CCNP, but again that depends on my requirements when I get there.

Nate
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    On one of the other forums, someone asked this same question. However, it was someone who really wanted to go into Voice, and I suggested that they do the CCNA Voice before the CCNP.

You say that you want to be a CCNP, so I would suggest just going for it.

There are some things that are part of the material in both the CCNP and in the CCNA concentration tracks.

If you learn about IPSec for the CCNP, it will make it easier when you do the CCNA Security.
    If you learn about IPSec for the CCNA Security, it will make it easier when you do the CCNP.
    It really doesn't matter which order you do things. All that really matters is what you want to accomplish.

I would say that the CCNP will mean alot more on a resume that a CCNA Voice will, unless you want to work for a telecommunications company. I work for a telecom, and my company would probably hire you sooner with the CCNA Voice, but I'm certain we are in the minority on that.

If a CCNP is your goal, go for it. You can always go back and get the other certs later if you still want to.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    fsanyee wrote: »

The big question is what to do next?
    I want to be a CCNP, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to jump into the CCNP topics without any experience, and this is why I'm thinking about the CCNA Security/Voice/Wireless cert.
    What do you think?

Great question. As for me, I went straight into CCNP studying right after passing my CCNA in the summer. It's awesome. I'm learning a ton of information that I know is valuable. And routing and switching is the foundation for all of the tracks pretty much, so it's great to really hammer that down. I would say go for that.

However, you do mention that you aren't working, and want a junior position. With that being said, the CCNP will take you some time to complete and maybe you could knock out CCNA:security or voice instead. That way if the CCNA isn't landing you a position, then you can augment your resume with another associate level cert much quicker than it would take before you actually got your CCNP. Just a thought.

On the other hand studying for the CCNP will improve your CCNA skills dramatically. So while you're in training for that you could be applying to places with the CCNA on your resume.. and since you're at home studying for your CCNP, you could look like a very strong CCNA in the interviews since you're studying at a higher level. And you could let them know you're studying for that or not, your decision. If they know then maybe they'll consider you a harder worker, ambitious, etc. This would be my opinion on the subject I guess. Even if you don't have a job yet, shoot for the CCNP while you're applying with your CCNA. Do a lot of labbing with your readings. Worse case scenario you can't land a job with your CCNA but end up getting your CCNP after x months of study ( I doubt you can't find a job with CCNA though, but who knows for your region or any region for that matter). Then in your case you'd have your NP without any experience, other than all your labbing, which can be decent experience if you did some serious labbing. Then just expect that you'll land a solid CCNA level job, you won't land a CCNP level job for sure, but your knowledge base will be much further along. Go for your CCNP!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    congrats on the pass!
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".