Options

Is Cloud Computing and Services effecting Jobs

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello there TechExamers! Is Cloud Computing effecting jobs ? Like is the need for IT professionals in the field of Network Adminstration and System Administration and other related jobs in effect ?

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have mixed feelings about Cloud Computing.

More so, why the sudden "heavens, It's a cloud"... Like it's a new development.

There's a new niche for cloud computing, but it's not really something that's a new idea.

Terminals remind me of the basic idea of cloud computing.
    Saving to a database.
    Having another computer do your workload...

I just don't see the big deal with it.

There will always be a need for Microsoft professionals, in one form or another. Security professionals will have a large role as it's one of the main concerns with cloud computing. Network engineers will still be needed to configure the infastructure of cloud computing. Linux, Apple... Without Network Administration on site - a problem that can be explained to the end-user tends not to be the best idea in terms of getting things done right. A problem I can fix within a moment, can take a lot longer for those who do not specialize in fixing, maintaining, and keeping documentation up to date.

It's a mess otherwise.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's helping with jobs for us, we're building a private cloud.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This topic came up during my vmware class. Cloud computing is nothing new, just a cool marketing term. I do foresee SMB's going to the cloud. What does that mean to the local network\system admin? It means he needs to get up to speed in his skills in virtualization and get a job at a MSP.

I have a friend working at a MSP, and business is booming. He is working all the time to migrate SMB's infrastruture to their cloud.

As for enterprise companies, they will create their private cloud and will need admins to administrate them.

The windows servers still need someone to management, it shouldn't matter if they are running on physical or virtual hardware.

Its the path we are on at this point. It is no different than when main frame guys were transitioning into server admins years ago.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most companies using a "cloud" product still need their own admins to run it. Basically the cloud provider gives you the VMs on their infrastructure and you still run the OS and applications all yourself.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Most companies using a "cloud" product still need their own admins to run it. Basically the cloud provider gives you the VMs on their infrastructure and you still run the OS and applications all yourself.

^^ This. I keep telling people, worse case, shifts some jobs around. It does not eliminate jobs. I'm not so sure it creates a lot more either though.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    It's affecting jobs in that engineers in demand are ones that can piece it all together and know how it all works together. This means storage, networking, server and virtualization product knowledge all wrapped up into one. It's a good time if you excel in more than one technology understanding.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    It's affecting jobs in that engineers in demand are ones that can piece it all together and know how it all works together. This means storage, networking, server and virtualization product knowledge all wrapped up into one. It's a good time if you excel in more than one technology understanding.

^^^ I've been saying the same thing. Since getting into the VMware role I see how important it is to know about all other aspects. My CCNA has helped a ton when dealing with the network group. I'm looking at EMC's book and exam to get a better feeling on how SANs work.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This topic came up during my vmware class. Cloud computing is nothing new, just a cool marketing term. I do foresee SMB's going to the cloud. What does that mean to the local network\system admin? It means he needs to get up to speed in his skills in virtualization and get a job at a MSP.

I have a friend working at a MSP, and business is booming. He is working all the time to migrate SMB's infrastruture to their cloud.

As for enterprise companies, they will create their private cloud and will need admins to administrate them.

The windows servers still need someone to management, it shouldn't matter if they are running on physical or virtual hardware.

Its the path we are on at this point. It is no different than when main frame guys were transitioning into server admins years ago.

Working for an MSP I can completely agree. I've been with the company 11 months, our business has more than doubled in that time.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. Really appreciated. So which technologies should we learn to cope up with Cloud Computing ?
  • Options
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. Really appreciated. So which technologies should we learn to cope up with Cloud Computing ?

I would say Vmware since that seems to be the main platform people are using. Next would be cisco, and storage because they go hand in hand vmware. Last would be your basic windows server info. Not just setting up server, any wizard monkey can do that, but actually upgrading and migrating exchange and AD.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure about the cloud, but I have seen a lot of businesses post part time positions, and no full time positions. Is this going to be the new norm for IT? Also, I have seen an uptick in work from home help desk jobs and contractor jobs.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been thinking about this lately and can agree with what a lot of people have said. If you get in at an MSP you will be golden. Ironic still, I was just talking with a coworker about how I was looking into mobile app/mobile web programming. As people have stated previously, with computers becoming cheaper and cheaper plus the move to the cloud (currently almost all of our IT systems are web base and infrastructure is controlled by the university) I think the onsite break/fix guy is going the way of the dinosaur. Computer broke? Here's a new one and there are your bookmarks have a nice day!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Effecting probably not .. affecting maybe :p

* hides *
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Big companies, like Fortune 500, do their own private "clouds", if they even buy into the marketing BS that is "clouds" at all, so MSPs are NOT the only option.

The job shift that all the "cloud" stuff impacts SMBs and some SMEs (Small to Medium Enterprise). Large enterprises, not so much.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Information Guys. I am a student and currently doing a certificate in Computer Network Administration. In the Institute they taught us about Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Active Directory, Virtualization using VMWare vSphere and Hyper-V, trained us on A+, Microsoft Exchange 2007, CCNA level of Networking and for Linux+ and Windows 7. I am planning to take certifications soon after reading the books completely and Watching vidoes of cbtnuggets. Can you suggest me which certifications to take first ? Thanks in advance again. :)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Hello there TechExamers! Is Cloud Computing effecting jobs ? Like is the need for IT professionals in the field of Network Adminstration and System Administration and other related jobs in effect ?

Yes it's affecting jobs. We will see more jobs nuked at companies with IT departments as services move to cloud or MSPs. There are opportunities working for cloud or MSP companies but not as many as the jobs that will be dissolved in the single company hosting their own infrastructure with their own IT department.
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yes it's affecting jobs. We will see more jobs nuked at companies with IT departments as services move to cloud or MSPs. There are opportunities working for cloud or MSP companies but not as many as the jobs that will be dissolved in the single company hosting their own infrastructure with their own IT department.

Forgive my ignorance..can you elaborate on this post a bit more?
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance..can you elaborate on this post a bit more?

Less/Simplistic hardware = Less need for maintenance = Less people required to maintain hardware on site = Loss of jobs