Options

subnetting

cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
im pritty good at subnetting if i do say so myself but ive just come across this question and dont understand how the answer is correct?

Which class of network license allows the borrowing of 15 bit to create subnets?

answer: Class A

Read more: Which class of network license allows the borrowing of 15 bit to create subnets

could some one explain please

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    A: 24 host bit : 24-15 = /23 mask
    B: 16 host bit : 16 -15 not ok, because you can't do too much thing with a /31 subnet
    C: 8 host bit : not ok.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    fsanyee is absolutely correct, I just want to elaborate.

In a class C, the host portion is only 8 bits to begin with. The most bits that you can use for subnetting is 6, which would put you at a /30 mask (255.255.255.252)

In a class B, the host position is 16 bits, but the most bits you can use for subnetting is 14, which would once again put you at a /30 mask

In a class A, you have 24 bits for the host portion and you can easily borrow 15 of those which would put you at a /23 mask (255.255.254.0)

As stated above, a /31 mask is useless as you would only have 2 IPs, and the first and last can't be used, which would leave you with zero.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    fsanyee is absolutely correct, I just want to elaborate.

In a class C, the host portion is only 8 bits to begin with. The most bits that you can use for subnetting is 6, which would put you at a /30 mask (255.255.255.252)

In a class B, the host position is 16 bits, but the most bits you can use for subnetting is 14, which would once again put you at a /30 mask

In a class A, you have 24 bits for the host portion and you can easily borrow 15 of those which would put you at a /23 mask (255.255.254.0)

As stated above, a /31 mask is useless as you would only have 2 IPs, and the first and last can't be used, which would leave you with zero.

I heard, at one point you could use the 31 address as a point to point subnet (between 2 routers).

http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/jun/18/using-31-bit-subnets-on-point-point-links/

a quick google search

Cisco's site brought this up: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ft31addr.html

"Using a 31-bit prefix length leaves only two numbering possibilities, 0 and 1. In a point-to-point link with a 31-bit subnet mask, these two addresses must be interpreted as host addresses, and directed broadcast to the link will be eliminated. Limited broadcast must be used for all broadcast traffic on a point-to-point link with a 31-bit mask assigned to it."
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Rogue,

Good catch.

I just tried it on a real 2911 router and got this warning.

% Warning: use /31 mask on non point-to-point interface cautiously

But, it will work.
    Nice!