Options

Assistance on selecting a desktop or laptop with desktop feel (docking station)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Obviously our household didn't make much last year the misses was still in school and only worked the last 3 months of the year we also have two children. Anyway the return is going to be fairly hefty.

I am looking for some assistance. The misses already is going to get a IPAD 3 when they come out and I really don't see much need for two tablets in the house. What I am looking for is a serious business machine that has dual monitors. I will be creating a lot of documentation using powerpoint and word and in my spare time I started building resumes for people. This includes Techexams and friends and family. In return for linkedin recommendations lol

If you could please provide a system that could easily handle Office 2010 and something with a video card. Those are my only two requirements along with being able to have dual monitors with HDMI or at least DVI outputs. It's important the system doesn't freeze with several instances of Word and Excel opened up. Critical!

Requirements

Mid grade video card capable of supporting dual monitor or tri monitors if possible.
Enough system performance to handle several instances of word and powerpoint.
Already have the equipment installed in the system. I don't want to monkey around with the laptop or desktop.
Comes with an OS already on it, preferrably Windows 7.

I really do appreciate you time.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    The HP EliteBook 8440p my job gave me has been nice. I have a pair of 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 hooked up to the docking station for it. I always have at least a half dozen RDP sessions open, OCS running, Outlook up, several Word and Excel docs open, various MMCs, PowerShell, and a few IE windows, plus occasionally Visio, oh and Remedy. Never had any problems.

I have 1 monitor hooked up via DVI, and the other via DisplayPort. No HDMI on this docking station, only other video output is VGA. It won't do triple monitor, only dual. Can be either laptop scren + 1 monitor, or 2 monitors via any combination of the 2 video outputs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. The Elitebooks are super nice. I had one a few years back when I worked for the USDA. It was strong and reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will second the elitebook recommendation, I am currently using a lower-end probook and it's no comparison to the elitebook.

The one nice thing about the business lines is the ability to use the docking stations instead of looking like your laptop is being strung up by cabling. :)

Stay away from USB port replicators though, we used IBM ones at a past work place and they were a nightmare (would randomly stop recognizing the port replicator but if we moved it to a new computer it would work fine).
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Everyone wrote: »
    The HP EliteBook 8440p my job gave me has been nice. I have a pair of 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 hooked up to the docking station for it. I always have at least a half dozen RDP sessions open, OCS running, Outlook up, several Word and Excel docs open, various MMCs, PowerShell, and a few IE windows, plus occasionally Visio, oh and Remedy. Never had any problems.

I have 1 monitor hooked up via DVI, and the other via DisplayPort. No HDMI on this docking station, only other video output is VGA. It won't do triple monitor, only dual. Can be either laptop scren + 1 monitor, or 2 monitors via any combination of the 2 video outputs.

My work pc is an EliteBook 8540p and its a beast
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Micro Center - Hewlett-Packard Pavilion p7-1174 Desktop Computer Refurbished QP774AAR#ABA

Everything you need with current hardware and the ability to upgrade quite a bit when Windows 8 is available and you get some extra money. Windows 8 brings back the multi-monitor goodness of Windows XP that went away with Vista and 7, so you should definitely consider moving up if the opportunity presents itself.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Indeed, you do not need anything expensive to run dual monitors at all. Elitebooks are nice (I have 8540s, 8740s and 8760s at work) but they are overkill for what you want to do.

My vote is also for a cheap desktop.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Indeed, you do not need anything expensive to run dual monitors at all. Elitebooks are nice (I have 8540s, 8740s and 8760s at work) but they are overkill for what you want to do.

My vote is also for a cheap desktop.

Thanks for the replies.

My main concern is the video card. I want a video card that has at least 512 MB - 1 GB of ram. I hate systems with integrated video cards they are dogs and the video is trash.

I would rather run 4 gbs ram and a video card than 8 gbs with an intergrated.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

My main concern is the video card. I want a video card that has at least 512 MB - 1 GB of ram. I hate systems with integrated video cards they are dogs and the video is trash.

I would rather run 4 gbs ram and a video card than 8 gbs with an intergrated.

Integrated video isn't a ***** these days. Through the BIOS, you can allocate as much or as little memory as you like to the GPU, sometimes up to 2GB, though most go up to 1.5GB.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    A video card for as little as $30 can do that. There isn't really a lot of power needed, it's really a matter of having at least 2 ports to plug the monitors into.

I run a 24'' and two 19'' here at work using two old ATI 2400pros.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MacBook Pro 15". You can wait until the new Ivy Bridge CPU's come out this summer or go ahead and pick up a current generation. I have the base level 13" and love it. I run Win 7 in Virtual Box and the Windows Experience scores are really good (I have just the integrated graphics, you have to go up to the 15" to get the separate graphics card). I'm also running Office 2010 for Mac (you can pick it up for like $100 or so at Sams/Costco). I know it can run 1 external monitor, probably 2 though I'm not 100% certain on that. Plus you can save yourself some money and get one from the Apple Refurb store. It will be just like you got it new, but instead of a pretty white box you will get a plain box. Same warranty as a new unit, and you can get Apple Care on it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    MacBook Pro 15". You can wait until the new Ivy Bridge CPU's come out this summer or go ahead and pick up a current generation. I have the base level 13" and love it. I run Win 7 in Virtual Box and the Windows Experience scores are really good (I have just the integrated graphics, you have to go up to the 15" to get the separate graphics card). I'm also running Office 2010 for Mac (you can pick it up for like $100 or so at Sams/Costco). I know it can run 1 external monitor, probably 2 though I'm not 100% certain on that. Plus you can save yourself some money and get one from the Apple Refurb store. It will be just like you got it new, but instead of a pretty white box you will get a plain box. Same warranty as a new unit, and you can get Apple Care on it.

What do you think about the Imac with the 27 inch monitor? I really like the look and feel.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What do you think about the Imac with the 27 inch monitor? I really like the look and feel.

I personally don't have one. My dad got the 21" with the 500gb hard drive in December and I "think" he really likes it. He is just having issues going from Windows to OSX - most of them are learning related. I do know he LOVES the monitor. He was amazed at how sharp and vivid it is. And that is only the 21".

I think I said earlier, if you get a Mac you will need to upgrade the memory. Especially with, as you said, you will be running multiple instances of Office. You can do that yourself for a fraction of the cost. I think I spent $60 this past summer to go from 4-8gb of RAM, and it made a noticeable difference. The MBP's say they max out at 8gb, but I've read on some forums of people running 16gb with no problem. On the iMac can support 8 and some 16 (according to Apple). Moral of the story, upgrade your RAM.

One more thing to consider. With Mountain Lion dropping this summer, you might want to hold off a bit (maybe May/June) before getting a Mac. The closer to release you are, you will probably get the upgrade for free.

If you have any Mac questions, drop me a note and I'll try to answer the best I can.

*I'm a Windows admin who uses a Mac*
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options

Unless you have an Apple store nearby and you've got cash to burn, I wouldn't get an iMac. If you like the look and feel of the iMac, there are Windows-based alternatives with the same screen sizes available from companies like HP.