Options

Simulation Software - Needed for the Real World?

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

Might seem a silly question, but when studying for CCNA onwards, is it beneficial to use simulation software, even though you have a good solid real life lab with lots of equipment?

I read an earlier post and it was mentioned that use of simulators is reccomended even though you may have a hardware lab.

Is this the case and of any benefit to working in the field?

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting more practice can't hurt.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    depends on the time, resources and energy you got.

for example labbing up a topology of 5 or 6 routers in gns3 is done with a few clicks.
    if you want to set that this up in the "real world" you need the routers, the cables, and in the best case a configured
    terminal server.
    it even gets worse if you want to play through "what if" scenarios. like adding another few routers here or another
    frame relay module there. in gns3 its just click and play in the real world that can take you a lot of time.

when studying for an exam, you can also save as many topology setups as you like. it gives you kind of unlimited
    freedom to experiment with the technology and you are very flexible. dont like to do OSPF today? no problem - fire up
    the EIGRP scenario. in the real world you would think twice of recabeling your stuff and getting new configs on the devices...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I agree with Rogue, more practice can never hurt.

That being said, most people studying for CCIE acquire a ton of equipment for their personal lab.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but some people have some amazing lab setups.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics.html

The only reason I can think of to suggest simulators over actual equipment would be for things like Frame Relat and MPLS where there are routers and switches is the cloud that would be programmed by the ISP. It may be alot easier to have a simulator that has already programmed the ISP side than it would be to program real equipment in the lab to handle their side.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found configuring a Frame-Relay switch fun. I'd like to see a real ISP network though. man, i just got goosebumps.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Thanks, I can now see why it would be beneficial. Not something I've played with at all, so might spend some time looking at the simulation options over the weekend.