Options

Crucial security questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    When your PC is communicating with the gaming server, your port is already as good as opened. Your PC creates a session with that server and any packets that the server sends get forwarded from your router to your PC, regardless of whether or not the port is open. The only difference is if the server was trying to send you data without you first initiating the session.. which isn't happening. Any speed increase is coincidental and unrelated to port forwarding.

what i told here had been an illusion or something similar caused by momentarily changing Internet speed(throughput)
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We were using their hardware... either the Security Gateway 220 or 320... like this one: Astaro Internet Security Gateway 220 | UTM Security Appliance | AstaroGuard.com

I was constantly cycling the power because it locked up for some reason or another. (usually once a week or 2 weeks) We put a Pix 515e in it's place for firewall... a 2811 and 6509 in it's place for a router (actually L3 switch) and a Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator for VPN. :D Since we already had purchased this... we used it for SMTP filtering... and it would even lock up with that. We originally had 2 of 'em... for HA.

LOL! I've never used them in an enterprise environment. Just at home.

I remember working at place that bought some firewalls with out researching them enough. The weren't working for their intended purpose so they plugged them into the wall so the boss would at least see blinking lights icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,042 Admin
    I play Guild Wars and I don't need to open up a port on my firewall for it. What GW feature(s) does opening a port for it enable?

UPDATE: I should say that I don't need to do port forwarding through my perimeter firewall to play GW. Host-based firewalls may require an exception.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I play Guild Wars and I don't need to open up a port on my firewall for it. What GW feature(s) does opening a port for it enable?

UPDATE: I should say that I don't need to do port forwarding through my perimeter firewall to play GW. Host-based firewalls may require an exception.

Find me in the game then. Padme The Queen.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Actually, the way Heero worded it... his understanding of NAT/PAT is wrong. He is saying that you have to open the ports to go out to the internet. Most home routers are configured to NAT to the outside address... allow all traffic outgoing, and none incoming.

BTW - it's not necessarily NAT that blocks incoming connections... it's firewall rules. ;)

If i worded it as if you need to open ports for outgoing connections, then i was either had bad wording or you misread. And for incoming connections, if they are not established and don't have a rule already set (port forwarding), the NAT device will not know what to do with it and it will be dropped.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Heero wrote: »
    If i worded it as if you need to open ports for outgoing connections, then i was either had bad wording or you misread. And for incoming connections, if they are not established and don't have a rule already set (port forwarding), the NAT device will not know what to do with it and it will be dropped.

Doh! It wasn't you I was talking about... got the wrong person. My bad. ;)

I was actually talking about MAC_ADDY.