Options

Help setting up a VPN connection

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I figure it is about time I tried something a bit different.
I want to be able to setup a VPN connection from my laptop back to my network. At first I thought of going to one of those wireless hot spots to try it but then figured could it also be done from my friend's house many miles away? i.e. I take my laptop to his house and then plug in my laptop into his router via an ethernet cable?
can this be done ? if so how? I have looked on youtube for help. Found this How to make VPN server and connect to it! (Please annotations on) - YouTube
But i'm not 100% sure if it works or can be trusted. It mentions creating a VPN server and to use private addresses and to tell the VPN client to use the private address of the server. icon_redface.gif but i thought RFC1918 addresses are non routable?

My laptop runs Vista Premium and my home PC is running XP Pro. Also have another PC...my gaming one running 7 premium. DOn't know if this makes a difference but thought i should be forthcoming with the info.

As you probably can tell i'm a VPNV=VPN Virgin.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    What is your budget for what you want to accomplish? There are two types of VPN's. Hardware and Software. After reading what you have at home, I am guessing your looking at software type VPN's. Hardware, for example would be Cisco's ASA security appliance which is a firewall and a VPN in one. You can also go open source if your into Linux and use OpenVPN and OpenSSL. There are also a few businesses that will host a VPN service to you. A quick google search about hosted VPN's should get you were you want to be.

I am not a security professional, the above is just want I have used at home or have researched. There are others that can provide more information.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can easily setup a vpn server on your XP box:
    WindowsXP VPN Server