Options

What Anti-Virus or Internet Security Suite program do you use?

coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am using ESET Security Suite v4...I am thinking about switching to GFI Vipre
"Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At home I use Avast, which is not bad. Performance seems good; the interface is good; the program is reasonably stable and easy to work with.

We use AVG at work. The network install and admin console were horrible until the 2012 release. Even 2011 was not great. The program itself is getting a little too bulky/feature rich, and LinkScanner outright breaks things. Still, I like it more than any variant of Symantec I've worked with.

We had Vipre on some systems and I recall it being pretty bad, but it's been a while.

Antivirus programs are just like many other programs -- none is perfect; they all have problems, but some are better than others in some areas. I definitely recommend staying away from McAfee and Symantec.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Vipre at home and at the office. When we bought 1000 licenses to Vipre Enterprise, my sales rep threw in 1000 home use licenses as well. Has been working just fine in both environments for me, and in the office environment has been much better at stopping threats than the product it replaced (TrendMicro WFBS) and has more advanced management features as well.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    At home I use Avast, which is not bad. Performance seems good; the interface is good; the program is reasonably stable and easy to work with.

We use AVG at work. The network install and admin console were horrible until the 2012 release. Even 2011 was not great. The program itself is getting a little too bulky/feature rich, and LinkScanner outright breaks things. Still, I like it more than any variant of Symantec I've worked with.

We had Vipre on some systems and I recall it being pretty bad, but it's been a while.

Antivirus programs are just like many other programs -- none is perfect; they all have problems, but some are better than others in some areas. I definitely recommend staying away from McAfee and Symantec.

I agree with you when it comes to McAfee and Symantec...stay away. I have used both in the past and vowed not to use them again.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Microsoft Security Essentials on the old lady's PC running Windows 7. Nothing on mine currently running Mint 11.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    MSE for all home machines. I haven't paid for AV in years and don't plan to.

Currently ESET NOD32 for work machines, as it is as light as MSE is. State is evaluating endpoint solutions currently, so I am waiting on that before I change.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Home: MSE with Windows 7 Firewall (router has filter and firewall built-in)
    Work: The Forefront suite (Endpoint and TMG) as well as the Sophos Hardware Appliances (Web Security and e-mail security)
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    @ Home I use Microsoft Security Essentials... never had a problem with it...

@ Business I usually recommend Symantec Endpoint Protection. If configured properly, it does a great job, and isn't bloated. It allows for centralized management and updating as well. I've used AVG corporate... but had lots of problems. (several years ago)
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    @ home... Microsoft Security Essentials

@ work... Trend Micro

I agree with the posters above....Norton/Symantec
    > YUK!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have SEP running at work. At home I've got Kaspersky. Parents have McAfee (pretty much garbage).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Forefront Endpoint Protection at work.
    I'd use MSE @ home, but they don't support XP x64, so it's Avira.
    Nothing on my ArchLinux box, although I should probably throw ClamAV on there or something.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MSE for home on all machines. ClamAV for the SBS2011 for the house. At work, it's all Trend Micro.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At work it's ESET, at home it's a 6 month trial of Kaspersky because the boss asked me to. After that, probably nothing. Haven't used AV on my home stuff in years, though the girlfriend gets MSE on hers.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Total Defense R12 at work. Complete garbage, would never recommend it.

Microsoft Security Essentials at home. Pretty much a set it and forget it. Couldn't tell you if it works or not, haven't had a virus on my home computers in years. I have had a couple unprotected VM's become infected though...
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Eset is one that a lot of financial institutions use, and I am impressed with it. Very lightweight on resources and I have seen it catch stuff that others didn't. Worth $25/yr to me.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    colemic wrote: »
    Eset is one that a lot of financial institutions use, and I am impressed with it. Very lightweight on resources and I have seen it catch stuff that others didn't. Worth $25/yr to me.

It is the most comparable product to MSE in terms of weight and lack of annoyances IMO. The way I see it, consumer AV products are not worth paying for at all. It's a total cash grab. Subscribing to protection that is always 2 steps behind the virus producers? How many people fall victim to viruses regardless (a lot) and how many actually call the vendor? (Nobody.) Some even charge you for calls! The victims will likely resort to Geeksquad or a computer guy they know anyway.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm running windows 7 pro on a newly built beast at home and I've not installed any AV Software. On all other computers, I use AVG. I can't remember the last time I got a virus or any malware.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    NOLAJ wrote: »

@ work... Trend Micro

> YUK!!

If you purchase the RIGHT version... and configure it correctly, Norton / Symantec is a GREAT piece of software.

Norton ANTI-VIRUS is a good product... anything above that.. sucks... it's bloated... and has too many features that screw things up.... HOWEVER... for home PC's... I wouldn't pay $$ for it... I'd just use MSE.

SEP is a GREAT product with awesome administration abilities for the corporate environment. It has central management, central updating, and also has a very convenient silent push install that is AWESOME for larger deployments, especially ones that are not within the same location. (not to mention, IT ACTUALLY WORKS) The key is to configure it correctly. Most of the problems I've had from SEP is from their "extra" services... network threat protection and something else... can't remember what it's called. Using the A/V only is AWESOME.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For home I use CA Internet Security Suite 2011

At work we use McCafee OfficeScan (stand alone)...most users do not have Internet access so virus infection is not common
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Sophos is the best AV in my opinion.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    coffeeluvr wrote: »
    I am using ESET Security Suite v4...I am thinking about switching to GFI Vipre

I use

Microsoft Security Essentials

Malware Bytes

Also, When surfing I use

Site advisor, they stop lights they use work pretty good..

Green=good

Yellow=questionable

Red=infected

Additionally, I have my own of web of trust and try to only frequent websites that I trust. Lately, I haven’t had any viruses for a few years now.
    In my honest opinion, you can have the best antivirus software out there, but none of it will protect you from human interaction, or a unsavy user.

I have been trying to use GOOGLE CHROME more often, because I hear it’s a more secure browser when compared to IE or Firefox.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »

@ work... Trend Micro

> YUK!!

Same! MSE seems pretty good, I also run Spyware Doctor(which I paid for) as a secondary to my anti-virus.

Also Malware bytes, McAfee siteadvisor and WOT.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At work we use SEP, at home I use SEP Small Business Edition...very light weight and I thought effective until I got hit with a nasty infection that I couldn't get rid of. We used Panda at my previous two employers and it wasn't too bad, very good for central management. I've come to start buying into that Antivirus companies are pumping out the virus and all the products are crap :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff