Options

Another one of them "what now?" posts

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I completed the A+ a few months ago and came home today after getting my N+ (yay!). I am now A+ and N+ certified!

I am not working in IT, and the goal is to go for a entry level IT job. There are plenty about and from looking about I know what area I need padding in. I wanted to ask that for the purpose of gaining a entry level IT job, what should be next? There are certs I want to get like the Security+, or the MCITP, or even the ECDL since alot of entry lvl jobs want you to be fluent at Office.

Any advice? I assume the MCITP is the missing part of my CV for entry level employment. Have I answered my own question? :P

Edit: Actually this is a valid question, just checked the MS certification site and now im confused. Which one is entry level?!

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I really don't think MCITP is entry level.

With A+ and N+ you should be ready to find that entry level job, just keep looking. Security+ certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think a lot also depends on where you want to go in IT. The Security+ can never hurt you. Are you interested in sys admin? Then go MS path. Interested in networks? Cisco. Wireless? cwnp certs.

See what the jobs in your area are looking for, and base your next cert and knowledge on that, especially if it is something that you truly have an interest in.
  • Options
    So far I have applied to 1st line support roles and helpdesk positions. Most of the positions are MS heavy but its hard to cut pass the HR padding.

I just read that someone got an interview with the N+, but his current studies on Security+ got him through the interview. I like the idea of going for the S+ since I am so familier with the Comptia setup.

Thanks for replying btw, was a terrible thread really :)

Kai.
  • Options
    jjasso21jjasso21 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not at all. I am actually following the same path with CompTIA. I have the materials for the MCITP: Desktop Support Technician and have been going through it slowly. But as it was mentioned, I'm not sure if it is exactly entry-level. I'll get that and was thinking of going for MCITP:SA once I am actually more advanced.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Everyone wrote: »
    I really don't think MCITP is entry level.

With A+ and N+ you should be ready to find that entry level job, just keep looking. Security+ certainly wouldn't hurt.

Depends on where you live.
    Here A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA and MCITP desktop technician will get you an entry level, and you still gonna strive.
    meh
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Depends on where you live.
    Here A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA and MCITP desktop technician will get you an entry level, and you still gonna strive.

Be open for relocation.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    around 80% of the entry level jobs ive seen for helpdesk and 1st line support all want windows server experience.

I have never looked into servers, exhanges etc. I figured it would be the next step after I got an entry level job as a 1st line support. Should I be going for a server cert or is it recruitment BS?
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Be open for relocation.

You have no idea.
    Working on it lol
    meh
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MCITP:EDST would be entry-level, or just barely above it. MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA (and others) are by no means entry level.

You should begin studying the 70-680 (MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring) material. Upon passing, you will have another cert. From there, if you are still unemployed, the 70-685 (Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician) would get you MCITP:EDST, which should help. If you are already employed by the time you finish 70-680, it would make more sense to start into MCITP:EA track with the 70-640 exam (MCTS: Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring).

Security+ is a good certification, and probably a bit easier than MCTS:Win7. That said, I feel that MCTS:Win7 is more likely to get you employment in the short-term. You'll want to plan on getting both at some point anyway.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340