How do you plan to improve your career situation?

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Need to wrap my head around SQL, Crystal Reports, Server 2008R2, McAfee Encryption and VMWare stuff. Oh boy...
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well...... being in a special duty assignment in the army is a plus for when I get out.... the YW will help too. My job though sucks... being stuck in a basement babysitting a system, on 12 HR shifts. Gives me plenty of study time though. My short term goal (this year goals) is finishing CCNA by the end of the month, and hopefully CCNP by Oct, which is my goal. Accomplishing this will help me power my way into working in the WAN shop, which will set me up to help with CCIP/IE for the next year, or 2. Being here in this unit we have 2to Cisco reps that have their 'CCIEs so I can try and talk to them about studying and technologies, and their is another military guy that I know with his CCIE that won't mind helping with stuff.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    djfunz wrote: »
    JMPLS was also mentioned and I was curious how popular this is over in America? I know Frame Relay is still pretty prevalent over there right? Here, MPLS is fairly standard from what I know. It was also mentioned that VoIP was really only popular in America and it's just a phase.
    I know of several large US corporations re-tooling to MPLS right now. And I can't see VoIP as just a phase if there is nothing better on the horizon to replace it.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I know this may not be an option for some people... but if you're willing to sacrifice "living" arrangements and not pay rent...

Sleep in the car.

...Yeah. I've done it. Not the proud to admit it. Im in a boat where I get paid too much for help (including food stamps), and bills are too much to live. So while I can't give up a car (Distances would be over an hour walk without any shade on a highway and no, no public transportation), I can give up the next thing - rent, cable, utility bill, and lower gas and mileage.

No, it's not fun, but when you have bills and no money to do anything, try that. It helps.

Gotta do what you gotta do :)
    It's illegal to sleep in a vehicle in many states. I'm not saying I wouldn't still pick it over complete homelessness, but I feel you have to be pretty desperate to live out of your vehicle.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ampersandampersand Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a year away from a bachelor's degree in Information and Computer Science. My helpdesk manager has agreed to pay for any certification I pass, I'll be pursuing the following: ISO 20K Foundation (IT service management, scheduled for 19 March), ISO 27002 Foundation (information security management), A+, and Security+. I'm hoping for a certification every month.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Continuing graduate school work. I am in the last semester of my graduate certificate in Cybersecurity Policy that rolls right into the MS in Cybersecurity Policy; two more classes for the full degree... and I am debating how quickly I will complete it... either Summer and Fall, or Fall and Spring.

Non-technical certifications. PMP and ITIL will be in my future.

Technical expertise... really looking to be a top-shelf Exchange engineer and develop further knowledge of related technologies (AD, Lync, SharePoint, storage, virtualization).

That's it. Work is paying for school... so I have 18 months after I finish my classes to stay, unless they let me go for some reason, like the contract ending prematurely.

My goals are to develop some side business and prepare for a more managerial position. After a decent break from school, I will be working on an MBA.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Although I like where I am right now and do not plan on leaving I am going to finish my BS and maybe look at a VMWare cert. The degree will help me internally and will accomplish a goal that I've set for myself. After the BS degree I may look at a M.Ed. but that's a ways off.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My original goal was to build a baseline jack of all trades level of experience and certs then focus on a specialty. I started with Cisco and have been working with it for a few years then just recently shifted to a security administrator position that deals more with IA stuff. So I am orienting my studies to reflect that (CCNA Security, CISSP, maybe CEH) then I'm probably going to look at finishing my MCSA and upgrading to MCITP:SA/EA before going back to Cisco (my end goal is CCIE) I've got the CCNA Security done, and am aiming for CISSP right now. Hopefully CEH doesn't take too long (haven't done any homework on it yet) so that I can start the MS stuff by the end of the year. I plan to make the CCNP my main goal in 2013 (if the world doesn't end before then icon_lol.gif) and then follow up with CCNP Security. After that, it's probably climb the CCIE mountain.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    My original goal was to build a baseline jack of all trades level of experience and certs then focus on a specialty. I started with Cisco and have been working with it for a few years then just recently shifted to a security administrator position that deals more with IA stuff. So I am orienting my studies to reflect that (CCNA Security, CISSP, maybe CEH) then I'm probably going to look at finishing my MCSA and upgrading to MCITP:SA/EA before going back to Cisco (my end goal is CCIE) I've got the CCNA Security done, and am aiming for CISSP right now. Hopefully CEH doesn't take too long (haven't done any homework on it yet) so that I can start the MS stuff by the end of the year. I plan to make the CCNP my main goal in 2013 (if the world doesn't end before then icon_lol.gif) and then follow up with CCNP Security. After that, it's probably climb the CCIE mountain.

If you already have MCSA tests knocked out, you should finish it now. It might not be possible in 2013. I don't expect MS to continue any 2003 tests much past the release of Windows 8.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly I'm so lost on what I want to do. One day I want to have a career in Linux (I've read 4 or 5 articles about how in demand Linux skills are), the next I want to do pentesting/ Computer forensic (I start my computer forensic internship this month)..or go down the Cisco path.

I'm not complaining because my current job involves Linux and networking, plus I have a CF internship (so I'm gaining experience in all of those areas)...but I don't know which way I want to go.

Having this conflict is slowing down my career because I can't decide on which cert to get or which path I want to specialize in...so I end up doing nothing but thinking about a career path..instead of actually studying.

This is exactly how I feel most of the time. Difference being I know where I want to end up, yet still blindly navigating the path and hoping I am choosing the correct route.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 2 1/2 year plan. If it works out (and I might be a little overly ambitious) in 2014 I will have

MBA | MPM | MCITP | MCTS | ITIL | Security+
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    A year ago, I laid out a 5 year plan with semi flexible goals. It includes finishing my BSIT, accumulating a bevy of certs, and refining my focus within IT.

I'm currently a JOAT at an SMB and my cert path resembles that (CCNA, RHCSA 4/6, ITIL 5/2012, then Sec+). The three main things I need to do are develop my interviewing skills, solidify my understanding of a handful of the many technologies I touch upon, and validate that understanding with certifications.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So now I'm not claiming victory or anything, but a lot of people here know my story, the short version is I had a 6 year plan (which involved the military) and I stuck to it. It went well- but to continually progress you need to be the type that is constantly trying to better yourself. I guess my personal keys (your mileage may vary) are:

-Be professional, always...people notice.
    -Communicate..I've seen more than once where someone technically LESS proficient got the better job because they're a good communicator.
    -Stay sharp- professional development..certs..school...etc...
    -Network..tell people your goals, meet others like you..it will open doors, it's just a matter of when.
    -Patience...the right job is out there, it's just a matter of timing, luck, and the resume
    -Be flexible...I accepted a job across the country to do what I wanted to do. That wasn't in the plan, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make- but thankfully didn't have to.

Just my $.02...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    So now I'm not claiming victory or anything, but a lot of people here know my story, the short version is I had a 6 year plan (which involved the military) and I stuck to it. It went well- but to continually progress you need to be the type that is constantly trying to better yourself. I guess my personal keys (your mileage may vary) are:

-Be professional, always...people notice.
    -Communicate..I've seen more than once where someone technically LESS proficient got the better job because they're a good communicator.
    -Stay sharp- professional development..certs..school...etc...
    -Network..tell people your goals, meet others like you..it will open doors, it's just a matter of when.
    -Patience...the right job is out there, it's just a matter of timing, luck, and the resume
    -Be flexible...I accepted a job across the country to do what I wanted to do. That wasn't in the plan, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make- but thankfully didn't have to.

Just my $.02...

Anyone who references a 6 year plan gets props from me.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    It's illegal to sleep in a vehicle in many states. I'm not saying I wouldn't still pick it over complete homelessness, but I feel you have to be pretty desperate to live out of your vehicle.

You're right. However, I don't understand why it's illegal, as it's either sleeping in the streets or atleast having some type of shelter.

It's a mobile home(ish). With that said, it's also against the social grain which means just telling people about it is going to be bad - not for the legal aspects. But more so protecting your pride and your identity as another contributing member of society. But spending most of my paycheck for rent+utilities+gas - which easily frees up 600 a month is a viable, yet not often-times explored option. I'd rather pay for my house, not renting from a slum lord.

It's actually freed up quite a lot of stress. Once you get used to the dangers of it. Get a gym membership to keep clean, and exercise. You're able to put money to the side - or in some cases use more of your paychecks to pay off bills that are financially devistating. If I had a better paying job it wouldn't be so bad, I'd be able to put money away. Being stuck between "Not being able to pay essntial bills" and "Not being able to get government help" sucks.

I'm suggesting this option because he seems like he is in the need for a solution besides filing for bankruptcy, and killing his credit for the next 7? years.

Trust me, i've heard a lot of stories of people thousands of dollars behind on their mortage, car bills, medical bills (for me), and insane amount of credit card debt. I'd like to get ahead of the game somehow.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not in particular order and may change in the future - VCP, CCDP, CCIE, and probably Masters.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Anyone who references a 6 year plan gets props from me.

Well, by "plan" I mean, I knew I'd get experience, and progress, then have an end goal.....so I wasn't drawing flow charts the whole time.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Well, by "plan" I mean, I knew I'd get experience, and progress, then have an end goal.....so I wasn't drawing flow charts the whole time.

If you use Visio, you get rep points, Mrock :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well for me, landing a Network Engineering job at a service provider was a huge break. I had worked in small business and then Government IT for the 10 years prior to getting my current job. I didn't bring any significant network skills (Other than a long expired CCNA) to the table when I interviewed a couple of years ago, but I was confident and interviewed well which ultimately helped me land a job I wasn't even remotely qualified for at the time.

Now, I get to design and build MPLS Service Provider networks. For those of you who are always worried about not being qualified enough for a position, you shouldn't get too hung up on it...there will always be a company willing to train someone who is seriously willing to learn.

As for my career goals....

2012: Finish my CCNP in the next two months, take a break and then complete CCIP
    2013: Take and pass CCIE Written/Begin Lab prep
    2014: Continue CCIE Lab Prep and two attempts at the Lab
    2015: Start CCIE Service Provider track
    2016: Write the next generation of open routing protocol that truly IS a hybrid of Distance Vector and Link State icon_smile.gif
    2016 Supplemental: Become a platinum elite guest on Packet Pushers

I'll top it all off with a quote from one of my favorite hockey movies "Miracle"
    "Beat the best team in the world? Gold medalists in '64, '68, '72, '76? Pretty lofty goal, Herb."

"Well, Lou, that's why I want to pursue it"
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Next week or the week after, i'll be taking my ICND2 exam to obtain my CCNA. I've also started working on MCITP:SA ( It also interest me and I could use the knowledge ). Next course of action is to get off the helpdesk. I'll start working on CCNP after my CCNA has been passed. Sometime in 2014, I should have my bachelors in Computer Science. First things first though... I'm looking to get off the helpdesk.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, in order to get my career in shape - I have moved home with my parents. This will allow me to focus 100% on my career, allow me to have a home lab, and afford to pay for exams/classes(if needed).

So, I am focusing on MCITP:EA. I have three more exams, then to RHCSA > CCNA > VCP/Hyper-V (or both, as I have experience with both). This is for the next year to get this accomplished.
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT, this is a great thread!

Me personally, I am in the process of finishing up my CCIP so that I can focus on my CCIE:R&S. Understanding that tech knowledge alone will not get me to the next level, I will continue to take the opportunity to lead any project I can and interface with as many movers and shakers as possible. I will be narrowing the scope of the skills that I'd like to become an expert in so that I can truly become an expert (Routing, Switching, Security, VoIP, Virtualization). Maintain a positive attitude, mentor those that are seeking the guidance, etc.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    unclerico wrote: »
    N2IT, this is a great thread!

Me personally, I am in the process of finishing up my CCIP so that I can focus on my CCIE:R&S. Understanding that tech knowledge alone will not get me to the next level, I will continue to take the opportunity to lead any project I can and interface with as many movers and shakers as possible. I will be narrowing the scope of the skills that I'd like to become an expert in so that I can truly become an expert (Routing, Switching, Security, VoIP, Virtualization). Maintain a positive attitude, mentor those that are seeking the guidance, etc.

Glad you see value in this thread. I like sharing and colloborating with my IT brethren and (sisters too :D). I find it very interesting all the different approaches taken.
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know some of you have scored some awesome jobs lately *cough* *cough* Everyone. Others are still seeking that sweet opportunity (my hand is raised). So what are you doing about it? What's your plan of attack? I am curious to see the different strategies out there and maybe, just maybe it might help another. And it's been proven if you put your goals in print you have a better chance of reaching them.

I have tried to keep mine simple and to the point.

Obtain the PMP 3/31
    Continue to enhance my reporting skills. My job requires it so it makes sense to get better at it.
    Help others out on this forum and Linkedin. Those are my two main interfaces into the WWW.

That's really it for me at this point and time. I joined PMI and started talking with some of the PM's in the local chapter so that's been helpful. I soon plan on joining one of their events when time permits. Participating on this forum sheds lights on some high-level exposure to the different technologies. That's always helpful.

So what's your plan? How do you plan to improve?

sleeping forever. Cos, nothing seems to work get the job second time for me. Perhaps a suicide.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    sleeping forever. Cos, nothing seems to work get the job second time for me. Perhaps a suicide.
    I hope your joking, and if you are that's not funny.

If you aren't I must say the reward of finding a job after a long period of time looking is most definitly worth it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Probably going back to the US. Company told me I had to get MCITP:EA. Then said it would be great if I got VCP.

Well I got MCITP:EA, VCP4/5 and the company thinks I should stay where I am for 2 more years, not even putting me on track to work Server2008 or VMware. Basically, I spent every free hour outside of work studying and using cash to pay for lots of educational materials...way beyond the educational budget just to boost the company's partnership levels. MCITP:EA at least came with a 1 month bonus. VCP 4/5 only garnered a "thanks dude. let's get you registered under our name." BTW, I'm the only one with an actual VCP cert, the other guys just have the VMware sales certs.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    Probably going back to the US. Company told me I had to get MCITP:EA. Then said it would be great if I got VCP.

Well I got MCITP:EA, VCP4/5 and the company thinks I should stay where I am for 2 more years, not even putting me on track to work Server2008 or VMware. Basically, I spent every free hour outside of work studying and using cash to pay for lots of educational materials...way beyond the educational budget just to boost the company's partnership levels. MCITP:EA at least came with a 1 month bonus. VCP 4/5 only garnered a "thanks dude. let's get you registered under our name." BTW, I'm the only one with an actual VCP cert, the other guys just have the VMware sales certs.

Sounds bad. I would look elsewhere, but I don't have all of the information. Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

This is why I don't register my certs under my company and really try to avoid having the company pay for training. I hate feeling like I'm indebted to the company.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I know some of you have scored some awesome jobs lately *cough* *cough* Everyone.

BEEFCAKE!

I still have plans. ;) MCM ASAP. Move up from PFE to Senior PFE, which sounds like they just give you that title after you've been there long enough. :p Hopefully MCA someday, then I think I might like to give the "Enterprise Architect" role a shot for a while. After that I may finally switch over to the Management side.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Sounds like its time to move on. Don't let the educational reimbursement stop you. You can always have the new company help you pay for it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman