NASA's JPL hacked.

onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
I hadn't seen this one posted.
"The investigation of the breach is ongoing, but Martin says the intruders had the ability to modify sensitive files; modify or delete user accounts for mission-critical JPL systems; and alter system logs to conceal their actions."

Report: Hackers Seized Control of Computers in NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab | Threat Level | Wired.com

US intellectual secret be gone!

ETA: "There are only two types of companies: those that have been hacked, and those that will be." -Robert Mueller
Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What say you, security experts of TE?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is anyone really surprised? Partly beause it's bound to happen to any government organization. Partly because it is full of scientists and nerds who don't have the same background, and appreciation, of OPSEC, which doesn't help. I even recall reading a long time ago they have a lot of issues, because there is a minority mindset years ago there that since they are dealing with science and knowledge, it should all be shared openly. I can't find it now but I read this morning that less than 1% of their mobile devices are encrypted.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just want to know why on earth it was accessible from the Internet.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□

Here's your answer... putting your bidness in the cloud. Cloud Evangelist Talks Security
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801

I think the financial loss from IP being stoles hasn't become completely obvious to business yet. Thus, security takes a back seat to convenience or as colemic said, a non security mindset.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    The IP loss won't present it self for a few more years until we see Chinese versions of the same thing for much less on the market.

Honestly this breach doesnt surprise me at all. First its going to happen to some extent but until the Government figures out who should take the lead on cyber security, DHS or NSA, we will continue to have these problems.