Cisco 3548 XL VLAN Bandwidth question

kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
Ok, so I have been researching some latency issues across my network, and have found something very interesting.
All my remote sites that are equipped with Cisco 3548 XLs (Yes, I know they are old and so on), VLAN 1 (the main and only VLAN) is set for 10000 Kb for Bandwidth.
Now, when I say all my sites, I mean about 70+ sites. They have been deployed for about 6-8 years.
Just wondering, is this the default setting for these switches back in the day? Or is this something that was hard coded?

I will be adjusting all the sites over the next week or so, just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this.
Thanks
What I am working on
CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
CCNP Switch (Next Year)
CCNP TShoot (Next Year)

Comments

• kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    I think I just answered my own question.
    Went and created a new VLAN, and the default settings are to 10000kb.
    Weird!?!?!?!
    What I am working on
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are the actual commands listed for the10000Kb of bandwidth?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    vinbuck wrote: »
    What are the actual commands listed for the10000Kb of bandwidth?

Conf t
    Int vlan1
    bandwidth (select from 10000-1000000 Kb)
    end
    wr mem

That should be it.

Still discussing with my CCIE team lead as to if the Native VLAN bandwidth setting could affect network speeds on a simple Layer 2 network.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    The bandwidth setting is a routing parameter only; it does not affect the actual interface. Basically, it will be used by routing protocols as the bandwidth parameter.

Here is the EIGRP metric caculation:

EIGRP Metric = 256*((K1*Bw) + (K2*Bw)/(256-Load) + K3*Delay)*(K5/(Reliability + K4)))

When you set that bandwidth parameter, it changes the 'Bw' variable in the calculation. However, traffic flowing through the interface will not be limited to 10mbps, that is still determined by the actual speed of the ports.
    Correct, but.
    If the site is having latency issues, once outside the switch, could an issue be that the VLAN is operating at 10Mb, and not 100Mb, like all other ports?
    What I am working on
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)