Windows 8 consumer preview

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Thought I would start a thread for those of us testing/playing with Windows 8 consumer preview is out (I skipped the developers preview).

Edit: Thought I'd add what I'm running it on.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 w/8gb of ram OSX 10.7.3
Virtualbox 4.1.8 (where I'm running Winicon_cool.gif

I gave the vm 2gb of RAM and 1 30gb HDD
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The new Start button, I hate it... LOL
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Veritas beat me to it. There's gonna be a LOT of unhappy folks about that.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm sure for Enterprise there will be a gpo that will change it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I installed it on my personal laptop so I would be forced to use it a fair amount instead of just pushing it aside because it's not what I'm use to. Slowly I'm starting to find my way around it a little more and not be quite as frustrated.

My main complaint right now is that everything seems to be "hidden" without much to point you in the right direction. Having to load the Charm bar (right side) and go to settings to get power options isn't my idea of intuitive. Same with having to right click on the "Start button" to get a list of anything power users may look for.

I'll be using it for at least a few weeks before I decide whether I like it or not but so far I'm not overly happy.

I'm also putting Server 8 through it's paces and I'm finding the same issue, nothing is where you would imagine it would be. Why have server manager need to load an MMC console to manage anything? Why not have server manager load in the MMC console? Maybe this is something they will be fixing before RTM but only time will tell.

I'm interested to see where they are going with this, hopefully they can pull through and make something that will please power users and beginners all the same... but only time will tell.
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I'm sure for Enterprise there will be a gpo that will change it.

I hope so. I don't see the need for the major GUI overhaul.
    15 minutes in and I already need a beer
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be honest wtf whats with the tiles? hate it :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    with the way microsoft is heading ... lets just say im gonna get a RHCE now instead of a MCITP
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    with the way microsoft is heading ... lets just say im gonna get a RHCE now instead of a MCITP

Yeah, of all the things they could improve and they choose to mess with the UI?

I'm seriously considering switching to CentOS as my main OS of use. If I take any more OS certs, it's going to be Linux/Unix.
    So far, I can see where the idea is for use with a touchscreen. But on a desktop/laptop, the UI is just bad. I'm hoping more info will be coming out on this, because this can easily be Vista 2.0....
    rwmidl wrote: »
    So far, I can see where the idea is for use with a touchscreen. But on a desktop/laptop, the UI is just bad. I'm hoping more info will be coming out on this, because this can easily be Vista 2.0....

If it follows the usual Windows pattern it will be.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Absolutely, positively, HATE the tiles and lack of a start menu. It looks like it’s meant to run on a low power tablet – not an actual desktop. I was shocked to see that they removed the registry hack to enable the start menu in the consumer build. If this is the turd they release I’m finally going to take the plunge and get a Mac.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If MS doesn't put back the start menu on the normal release of Windows 8, I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for quite a while (and then look at a Linux desktop distro further down the road if they never bring it back.)
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    As with the dev preview, the touchscreen is quicker than Windwos 7. However, it is not as fluid or responsive to your initial touch like an iPad. Not yet anyway.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You cant knock it till you try it with multiple monitors. I have to say when hooked up to two monitors it freakin rocks. Try it if you have two monitors and you will see what I am talking about.
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Must admit I was not overly impressed with the Dev version and this aint much better. It feels like am using a Nokia Luni or what ever there called. Cant notice any improvement in performance on my Rig. Its a I7 with 12GB of RAM and 120GB SSD. Me thinks will be sticking to Win 7 and linux for the forceable future. icon_sad.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You cant knock it till you try it with multiple monitors. I have to say when hooked up to two monitors it freakin rocks. Try it if you have two monitors and you will see what I am talking about.

What about triple, or quad monitor support?

Darn you Kris. Now Im going to download this at home and put it on my work computer. Heck, I think it's about time I formatted the computer anyways :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

See, I don't have multiple monitors. And I'm going to go on a limb here and say the majority of people don't have multiple monitors. I agree that from what I can tell this has been optimized for touchscreen/multi-monitor use. However as I said, I feel most people only run one monitor.
    Server 2k8 R2, Centos and Win 7 for me I am not going to pretend I like Windows 8 have used the dev version and consumer and really dislike it not about to jump on the tablet bandwagon and if I was then I would go down the IPAD route, Can't stand the whole Metro Interface I do not want my computer to look like a Mobile Phone, Even if Microsoft decide to lock you down to the Metro interface in the final build only a matter of time before somebody brings out a tweak / hack, I wont be upgrading to 8 seems to be pointless.

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

What can it possibly do with multiple monitors that is new?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    SteveLord wrote: »
    What can it possibly do with multiple monitors that is new?

To me, it seems like it is designed for multiple widescreen monitors. It's just how all the tiles are arranged and spread out.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Server 2k8 R2, Centos and Win 7 for me I am not going to pretend I like Windows 8 have used the dev version and consumer and really dislike it not about to jump on the tablet bandwagon and if I was then I would go down the IPAD route, Can't stand the whole Metro Interface I do not want my computer to look like a Mobile Phone, Even if Microsoft decide to lock you down to the Metro interface in the final build only a matter of time before somebody brings out a tweak / hack, I wont be upgrading to 8 seems to be pointless.

+1

It just looks ugly to me, and I’m not going to download it. Why should companies install Windows 8? Faster boot times? Ha..ha… what a joke…If you guys are having trouble with the interface, I can’t even image what it would be like for an average power user. I don’t see this being supported in the corporate environment for at least 2-3 years from now. Aren’t companies just now upgrading to Windows 7? Why would they go to Windows8?

Microsoft should have made windows 8 and 9. Windows 9 could be installed on a desktop and 8 on a mobile device. There are just so hell bent on moving everything into the cloud at all costs, that they aren’t thinking things through. Not everyone what to go into the cloud. Also, I don’t think any company or individual wants to have a 100% cloud connected environment.
    I love this article:

The Windows 8 Kill Switch: A Hacker's Dream Come True | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com

Another thing that I just thought of isn’t Windows 8 made for Arm Processors, and not for x86 and x64 processors?

I wonder if they would charge for this service on Server 8? The website says you gotta make an account..

Windows Server 8 Beta: 10 Big Feature Boosts | PCMag.com

Microsoft Online Backup Service
    Microsoft Online Backup Service is encrypted cloud backup for Windows 8 beta servers. So far, it will only backup data stored on Windows Server 8 beta systems.
    To access the service, users must request a Microsoft Online Backup Service account (which is currently given by invitation only) at: Microsoft Online Backup Service | Microsoft Connect. Users have to full out a questionnaire to receive the invitation.
    An agent needs to be installed on each server being backed up. This will be available at the same connect.microsoft.com link as above. Other prerequisites include: Windows PowerShell, Windows Identity Framework, and Windows Live ID client authentication. Local storage requirements include 10-15 GB free space for caching.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you can get the start orb/menu back, albeit using an adware ridden piece of **** program called vistart.
    There was a registry edit that worked in previous releases of Win8 but not in the CP.

I have faith (misguided maybe?) that Microsoft will listen to feedback and allow it back. Time will tell.

Otherwise frankly I see this being avoided by the enterprise much in the same way Vista was.

Server wise I have a quick little Server 8 domain set up with various roles and it works fine, slightly overhauled Server manager with some Metro UI junk thrown in. Doesn't improve anything on that front. Wouldn't surprise me to see the % of core installs going way up once this has been on the market for a while.

7Fxml.jpg
  • NottsBlokeNottsBloke Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the idea was to use core installs and get rid of the GUI that has plagued us all since NT4 onwards anyway??? no?
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't seem to get windows 8 to install in virtual box 4.1.8 or VMware player 4.0.2

VMware gets an error "Windows cannot read the <product key> setting from the unattend answer file"
    and
    virtual box is error code 0xc0000260

EDIT: removing the floppy drive made it work for VMware
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    I personally think Win 7 will go the way of XP and will be my operating system of choice for the next few years :)

• NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Windows 9 will be the winner..
    NottsBloke wrote: »
    I thought the idea was to use core installs and get rid of the GUI that has plagued us all since NT4 onwards anyway??? no?

I think that's the direction for Server but not desktop.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With more tablets and smart devices over laptops and desktops on the network and the trend not slowing down any. Could it be they are attempting to develop a more friendly OS with mobile devices and tablets in mind? I watched a presentation that discussed development is coming back to the states slow but surely with the birth and development of HTML 5.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    With more tablets and smart devices over laptops and desktops on the network and the trend not slowing down any. Could it be they are attempting to develop a more friend OS with mobile devices and tablets in mind? I watched a presentation that discussed development is coming back to the states slow but surely with the birth and development of HTML 5.

That only makes sense considering the success of tablets, and the now-growing need of tablet support inside networks.

Microsoft has leaned towards Apple's way of doing things. ipod touch, iphone, ipad all look simular. As far as microsoft goes - the new platform would link Xbox360, Windows Phones, Tablets, as well as PCs. Of course, windows being as big as they are - they probably hope the increase familiarity between the different platforms will help them in sales over the long haul.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams