A noob question.

rollinghillsrollinghills Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
From what I've gathered so far if Site A and B is connected with a point to point leased line these sites would need to add another line in order to access the Internet. Basically the point to point line can't be used for Internet is that correct? icon_redface.gif

Let's say a company has 5 locations. A typical setup would be to have Internet at the main site and funnel rest of the sites to the main office using a default route. Does that sound right?

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    From what I've gathered so far if Site A and B is connected with a point to point leased line these sites would need to add another line in order to access the Internet. Basically the point to point line can't be used for Internet is that correct? icon_redface.gif

This is correct a Point-to-Point is just that a connection between sites.
    Let's say a company has 5 locations. A typical setup would be to have Internet at the main site and funnel rest of the sites to the main office using a default route. Does that sound right?

A company could be setup many different, I've seen many companies funnel internet to a hub site, I've seen some get some "business class" cable/dsl/ethernet for internet access at remote sites, and I've seen some with a mixture. So this one depends how the company wants/needs to be setup.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Other common option would be to not use a point-to-point and have each office with it's own internet connection and use site-to-site VPN. That way eliminating the main office as a single point of failure.

BTW - just my 2 cents - no such thing as a noob question - if you don't ask - you don't learn icon_smile.gif everyone starts someplace.