Options

What's got the longest uptime in your network?

2»

Comments

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I replaced an old 3COM chassis switch that ran all of our traffic through it at my last job. It was a unique experience because when we turned it off it had been running (and had the run-time to prove it) for over 10 years... and the guy who helped me replace it? He put it in, those 10 years prior. Needless to say I had him pull the plug :)
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't think we had anything with a high uptime figure in our network but then I stumbled across this router in New York last night:
    <REMOVED>_newyork#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: [URL="http://www.cisco.com/techsupport"]Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems[/URL]
    Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 07-Mar-08 12:34 by khuie

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

<REMOVED>_newyork uptime is 4 years, 15 weeks, 2 days, 19 hours, 48 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System restarted at 14:01:31 BST Sat Oct 25 2008
    System image file is "flash:c2801-spservicesk9-mz.124-6.T11.bin"

Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I didn't see it myself, but my boss said one of the old HP OpenVMS servers was up for almost 10 years before its hard drive crashed.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    10 years - very nice. OpenVMS is usually run in a cluster. Did the cluster stay up and running?
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I have some access level switches at the data center were I work that have been up for 5 years. This year there is a forced IOS update due to software bugs and vulnerabilities.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    One of my coworkers noticed a Windows box housing a DB with 606 days uptime the other day
    We have a customer who's SBS 2003 box had an uptime of about 550 days when it was replaced. I noticed it had a long uptime about 200 days in, but we don't do pro-active support so no patches etc were pushed to it. I must admit, I was surprised to see it still hadn't been rebooted a year later. Of course, by that point we were all too scared to reboot the damn thing, for fear that it wouldn't come back up. Fortunately they got an SBS 2011 box to replace it a couple of months ago, and thanks to Backup Exec's remote agent service hanging, it gets rebooted every couple of weeks. If I notice a server with an uptime over 100 days I try to make sure it gets rebooted sooner rather than later, if only to make sure that the hotfixes go on.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Solaris 9 server (SPARC) with 10 years of uptime, they had to power it off to remove icon_lol.gif

3737 days of uptime - YouTube
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread is awesome. I was just talking with my wife about the current uptime on my NAS at home, it finally reached 200 days. Just as I said that, my battery backup failed and it had to be turned off. There's just something about turning something like that off that doesn't appeal to me. I lost those days! I made her cry laughing because all she heard was "NOOOOOO! 200 days down the drain!" from my spare bedroom.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    JorgeLBBJorgeLBB Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SWXXXXXX#sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M),      
    SWXXXXXX uptime is 8 years, 13 weeks, 6 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes
    Uptime for this control processor is 8 years, 13 weeks, 6 days, 19 hours, 10 min              
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System restarted at 18:00:40 Paraguay Thu Jun 28 2012

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    What a thread...2013 I was still using Solaris...

Uptime is great, but who was patching? ;)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    High uptime = equipment installed a long time ago = equipment that might not turn back on once it’s powered off

I guess you know your power is on point with high uptimes.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    There are many CTO/CIO's who are very concerned that their long-unpatched critical system and network devices will not operate correctly if they are rebooted. This is why a sensible ops policy mandates a 30/60/90-day stability reboot period for all components even if patches have not been applied. If an org can't risk having a system down for even a second (e.g., router, firewall) then High Availability is needed on that component.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, but I don’t think it’s a good ides to reboot high up time devices without a plan in place to replace the device if it doesn’t come back online.