Default Anyone know of a good 8port network switch for extreme conditions?

celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Having trouble finding a switch that fits our need.
8 Port network switch(We dont not use POE)
Will be out in a warehouse, dirty environment
Can be anywhere from -20F to 115F degrees
Speed only needs to be 10/100 MB

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. As for price range, I do not have one, but I think the cheaper the better, but if something works good price is not a deal breaker.

Thanks.
Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)

Comments

• Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The manufacturing plant that i work at used the Allen Bradley version of this switch here:

Newegg.com - CISCO IE-3000-8TC 10/100/1000Mbps Industrial Ethernet Switch
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    I know Black Box makes a "hardened" switch... but it's a hefty price ($600-1500). You may just want to buy a cheaper one... and replace it every few years.... or find a way to stick it in a box... or air conditioned / heated office. Do you need a managed switch or just a "dumb" one?

Most switches can handle up to about 104 degrees... but only down to about 32 degrees (if I'm not mistaken)... but you can get an 8 port Linksys Gigabit switch for around $55.

I know we had this issue a few years ago, but I am not sure what we used for the switch.... the only industrial grade "hardened" switches I've been able to find in a quick search are Black Box.

Maybe try to call your VAR (Insight, CDW, etc) and see what they recommend?

Edit: Where is this located that it gets 20 below and 115?
  • celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We are in oklahoma city, It may not get -20 but its a huge warehouse, and easily will reach 115 in the summer.
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    celbii wrote: »
    We are in oklahoma city, It may not get -20 but its a huge warehouse, and easily will reach 115 in the summer.

Glad I don't live there. LOL...

Our solution was for an outside manufacturing plant... we used a Cisco Aironet WAP as a bridge... and an ethernet switch, but I wasn't really on the project, so I didn't know what they did with the switch. We're in Arizona, where it gets to 118-120 in the summer... and with the concrete/asphalt... it can reach some pretty high temps. Sorry I can't be more help... but if you can find a climate controlled room... just get a standard switch... and put it in there. Depending on the warehouse... you may even be able to pick up a cheap air conditioner... and build a small closet... and it will be cheaper than the Cisco or Black Box alternatives.... Otherwise, be prepared to pay $600-1500 for your switch.

You may even want to consider taking a chance... and buying a cheap switch... and just take the chance of the weather... the operating temps are "safe" operating temperatures... anything above or below will most likely result in a voided warranty... but you MAY be able to get away with it.
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used Cisco IE-3000's, 2955's, and 3560C's and Juniper EX2200C's in outdoor enclosures in Iowa and Minnesota and none of them have ever failed. The important thing is to get devices with very few moving parts and if possible a climate controlled enclosure.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If money is no object, then check the Ruggedcom brand (soon to be Siemens):

RUGGEDCOM | Industrial Strength Networks

In addition to designing RuggedCom products to meet the demands of RuggedRated™ certification, every RuggedRated product is thoroughly tested for performance prior to shipment to our customers. This includes:
    • A Dielectric Voltage Withstands test on all power ports and signal ports in accordance with IEC 60255-5, UL 508 and CSA C22.2
    • A High Voltage Impulse test of 5kV on all power ports and signal ports in accordance with IEC 60255-5 and IEEE C37.90
    • 24 hour burn-in test period during which the following occurs:
      • The product is placed in an environmental test chamber and temperature is cycled between –40 and +85°C (+185°F) ensuring reliability in extreme winter and summer temperatures
      • Built-in self-test features are activated which test all of the product’s key features (e.g. communications rate and throughput) at their maximum capability
    • A final operational test using industry standard network simulation and test equipment to test the following:
      • Throughput
      • Latency
      • Frame/Packet loss
    All RuggedCom products are backed with a standard 5 year warranty.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I'd say it depends on how dirty the environment is. Too dirty and I would suggest putting it in some small rack enclosure. For the temperature ranges, look for a switch with and industrial temperature rating -- Industrial grade: −40 °C to 85 °C (sometimes −25 °C to 85 °C). I don't think you need some super rugged switch, just one that can stand the industrial temperature ranges, and something to account for dirt/dust/etc...