Options

Finishing studies, don't know where to go from here.

palmeritapalmerita Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am new to the site. To let you know about my background, I am from Argentina, 26 years old in a few days and I have been studying computer science since 18. I hope to get my major degree this year (a couple of subjects and final project left), I already have the middle degree. The thing is that I have no experience at all, I have never worked, not even an internship. I don't have any cert either. Besides computer science related knowledge in my C.V. I state I can speak fluently english and portuguese (due to our neighbour brazilian market) and spanish (implicitly, because it is my native language). Also that I have some linux experience (just as a daily user, that's the truth).

So given this situation I feel like I have to start totally from square one. I don't know deeply any programming language at all. I don't know any technology fully or have expertise at a particular field. Back when I started studying I was really excited about this degree and a career in computer science. Right now I don't feel the same. I am not saying this is not for me, that I chose wrongly and should do something else. I don't feel particularly attracted by any other career or and I still enjoy computer science, just not as before. I only care for certain feilds. I enjoy a lot security related things e.g. I have even sent some C.V. for internships at some companies that do security though I didn't get any reply.

I guess my situation is not the typical one as I could read on the forums. Several people has experience and want to get something better. Others don't have it but aren't as old as me and as advanced with their degrees. I guess I can't start doing any certification because they are expensive and I don't have any money. Besides I should really find a job I think before I am older. I feel I let time go by without doing much and now I just don't know what to dom where to start and what path to follow. That leads me to lack of motivation too. I aim to find some nice position, I am not expecting a super salary or great comfort but I don't want to be enslaved either. I know many people who travel everyday above 4 hours to their work places, work for 9 or 10 hours and just can't deal with univeristy anymore.

I always thought and hoped I could do an experience overseas, some student exchange or that I could be able to get the position I wanted. That is why I didn't care much before to look for a job. Now I have given up to those hopes. I realise I was so naive, all this time waiting for something that would never come.

Well if you would like to give me some advice, feedback or comment about this I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First thing is welcome to TE.

I think you will find some good advice for your career and studies here. You are not the first person to finish a degree and then feel lost and unmotivated. I do believe you have choosen a good field. IT has so many roads to take as compared to other career paths.

Best advice is to go out and get your foot in the door somewhere. A computer lab, a pc repair shop, helpdesk. Helpdesk is the typical job of a young grad. I did it even with several years of server administration. Certs are one way of getting people to notice you. A+, Network +, Sec+. Yes they do cost some money. But it takes money to make money. Its an investment in yourself. If a $250 cert gets you a $15/hour job, its a pretty good ROI.

Don't expect something to fall in your lap. Hard work is what creates opportunity. Also, you are still young. Several people don't even get their IT career started until their 30's. You will read about severl people changing their careers to IT, taking less pay and starting from the bottom.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Welcome to TE forums!

Personally, I would recommend studying for the A+ certification (and pass it) and then begin searching for jobs. I wouldn't bother with the Network+ or Security+ because they won't immediately have an effect on your situation. Since you are unemployed, you need to worry about getting a job, not getting more certifications. While A+ is not the most advanced certification, it will at least show that you have some general knowledge and know what is inside of a computer (note: A CS degree does not mean you know what is inside a computer, I know several people that have had issues).

If you learn well with videos, you can go to Professor Messer and watch his A+ videos. If not, go purchase/borrow Mike Meyers A+ book. Don't spend a lot of money studying for this exam.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    If you want to start with a general work like tech support or something like that, get A+
    If you want to maybe land a entry level network job, get A+ plus N+

I agree landing your first job would be the priority, after that, jump to certs
    meh
  • Options
    palmeritapalmerita Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies and support. I appreciate your recommendations. Reading the answers I see something in common, that is A+. Reading about it on the forums it seems as a very general cert without anything to do with programming but more about O.S. and hardware related stuff.

Probably I wasn't clear in my first post, the degree I am trying to get is mainly focused on programming and researching in computer science field. You are expected to learn almost nothing about hardware and maybe a little bit more, but not much, about adminstration (networks, windows, linux, servers, etc.)

As I said I would like to work mainly in the security field and if I can't persue a career there I would try something related with networking. Eventhough I am expected to have a solid foundation on programming languages, paradigms and techniques I don't really enjoy development at all. So having stated that I would choose something like researching in web vulnerabilities, binary analysis, malware, malware and network traffic over web frameworks, web development, hardware related things, etc. While administration would be somewhere in a neutral zone. I hope you get the idea.

So according to what I have just said and the certs you mentioned, do you still think they would be useful? Would you recommend me any others? I hope I don't sound too pretentious or vain, like I want to start with really high pretentions, but as I said this is what I enjoy the most and I feel already unmotivated so doing something I don't enjoy would be even more depressing.

Well if any of you have further advices let me know.

Thanks!