Options

Server+ a good cert?

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently passed the Network+ and also have the A+. I am looking for a entry level IT job now and figuring out what to study towards next.

I was looking at Linux+, but the Server+ caught my eye after seeing that the exam objectives are fairly small, and the minimum to pass is fairly small. I have no knowledge on RAID, disaster recovery and general server usage.

I could learn some good knowledge from studying this. On its own, is it a good cert to have?

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think Server+ could be useful if you were looking to work in a data center type of environment initially, and could be a nice foundation for more advanced vendor-specific certifications that are server related.

As a sidenote I did just search Dice with the keyword 'server+', and the following were the types of positions most common in the search results:

-Data Center engineer/adminstrator/technician
    -Server administrator
    -Systems administrator
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am looking this up but prehaps someone else will know this. Would a Linux distro via dual-booting be good enough for lab work?
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I think Server+ could be useful if you were looking to work in a data center type of environment initially, and could be a nice foundation for more advanced vendor-specific certifications that are server related.

As a sidenote I did just search Dice with the keyword 'server+', and the following were the types of positions most common in the search results:

-Data Center engineer/adminstrator/technician
    -Server administrator
    -Systems administrator

I agree with this.

It is not a bad test, if you can afford the $200+ it costs (as it is a bit expensive). It is a lifetime cert though, and does provide some server software and hardware knowledge.

A+, N+, Server+ then Security + is a pretty good path IMHO.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The material is good and useful but the cert has almost no market value. If the money is immaterial and you don't mind the few weeks' distraction of studying it, go for it. If you're looking to better your career in the short term, it's just a distraction.

Edit: Ultimately, you should learn at least 75% of the material no matter what.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    The material is good and useful but the cert has almost no market value. If the money is immaterial and you don't mind the few weeks' distraction of studying it, go for it. If you're looking to better your career in the short term, it's just a distraction.

Edit: Ultimately, you should learn at least 75% of the material no matter what.
    I agree with this. You will benefit from knowing the information covered in Server+ regardless of your future technical specialization, and if you want to be a sysadmin, this knowledge is a must. At the same time, do not waste your money on taking this exam, there are hundreds of better ways to spend it icon_wink.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with this.

It is not a bad test, if you can afford the $200+ it costs (as it is a bit expensive). It is a lifetime cert though, and does provide some server software and hardware knowledge.

A+, N+, Server+ then Security + is a pretty good path IMHO.

I felt the exam had more of a hardware lean myself. I ended up getting it because it was lifetime number 1 and because when you work on server hardware for Lenovo it makes it easier to get up and running quickly. I didn't need two exams since I had A+ and Server +, however I ended up taking the Lenovo exams anyway. To file claims and use the reporting tool you had to take other exams.