Options

I passed now what?

xdilemmaxdilemma Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed the Network+ with a score of 812. Thanks to this great community and was wondering what cert should I study for next? MCTS or CCNA? I really like networking but have no professional experience in that field so what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    How about going for your CCENT? The Network+ will serve as a great basis for the CCENT and eventually the CCNA.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    How about going for your CCENT? The Network+ will serve as a great basis for the CCENT and eventually the CCNA.
    thats what I did.. Net+ > CCENT > CCNA.. pretty solid transition you will like it and going any farther into cisco seems pointless as you may never use the stuff in CCNP for a few years.. then look into Microsoft.. thts whats on my plate nowicon_study.gif
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    I will look into CCENT then thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the ICND1 about 2 years ago anf failed. It has maybe 70% of what you would know from the Network+, 20% subnetting and 10% (of which is probably worth alot of the score) some labs. I failed by like 30 points, took about 8 months off studying and then gunned for the A+ and Network+.

ICND1 will require some studying and subnetting is a nessesity. ICND2 is a completely different beast and you will need something like packet tracer to build virtual labs with. Gaining the CCNA is not easy, its a different style of studying required for it from the Comptia. After taking the A+ and N+, I can see why the CCNA is a much more valued cert.

Anyone can pass it if they study, and subnetting is like looking at some surreal art for hours and hour and finally CLICK "aaaaaaaaah, I see it all now!!".

Kai.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the Network+ pass. You didn't mention Security+ as a choice, but you may like to consider it. With the Network+ knowledge in your head, you can probably take and pass the Security+ within a month of studying. Many people consider the A+, Network+, and Security+ as a good trio to lay a solid foundation for many different paths. Additionally, many organizations value IT employees with a basic understanding of security issues and that can be demonstrated with the Security+ cert.

On MCTS, do you mean a Windows 7 MCTS? You mention "I really like networking" but don't say anything about Microsoft topics. Just using those words, the CCNA may be more to your liking.

Good luck.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. You can look at getting your CCNA/CCNET or even Comptia Security + but, if you going into Network security areana get all these certs. They all give you some solid foundation and they all look good on the resume too; just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    I was considering MCTS 70-680 Windows 7, Security+ and now CCENT. My goal is to eventually obtain all that but as of right now what is best path to take since N+ is still fresh in my head? CCENT sounds like a logical choice plus its much cheaper then Security+. I already bought a few MCTS Windows 7 books last week so thats my second option.. My plan is to take Security+ last because I was told if I obtain a higher CompTIA cert then it will automatically refresh my A+ and N+ can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My vote is with the CCNA. Type CCNA into indeed, simplyhired, or dice...you'll see a lot of results. Granted you may not be qualified for all the jobs but it's a great cert to have.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    xdilemma wrote: »
    My plan is to take Security+ last because I was told if I obtain a higher CompTIA cert then it will automatically refresh my A+ and N+ can anyone confirm this?

That's correct. Getting a higher level cert does meet the Continuing Education requirements for the lower level certs.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the cert!
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    jbimlerjbimler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    That's correct. Getting a higher level cert does meet the Continuing Education requirements for the lower level certs.
    Quick question. Lets say I get the A+, Net+. and Sec+ after the renewal law took effect. In 2015 when they expire am I allowed to retake the Sec+ and they are all reupped?
  • Options
    jbimler wrote: »
    Quick question. Lets say I get the A+, Net+. and Sec+ after the renewal law took effect. In 2015 when they expire am I allowed to retake the Sec+ and they are all reupped?

Short answer: No. If they exprire, they are expired.

Here's a quote from this page: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx

"What happens if the program requirements aren’t met on or before the CE program expiration date?
    • There are no refunds of any previously collected fees.
    • No units will carry over from one CE program cycle to another.
    • If the certification held is a CE version (has an expiration date of 3 years from the date certified) it will expire. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the exam(s) needed to earn the certification again.
    • If the certification held is considered “certified for life” (was earned on or before 12/31/10) it will remain as is. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the exam(s) needed to earn the certification again."

However, if you participate in the CE program and renew the highest level cert, they are all renewed. Here's a quote from this page: CompTIA Continuing Education Program.
    "Individuals who hold multiple CompTIA certifications only need to pay the annual fees and earn CEUs for their highest level certification."

Here's a quote from this page: http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx
    "If a candidate holds multiple CompTIA certifications are they required to renew each of them?"

"No. Candidates with multiple CompTIA certifications are encouraged to participate in CE at the highest level of certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Storage+, CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA CASP certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements for CompTIA CASP. Completion of CE for CompTIA CASP would renew the CompTIA CASP and also grant the candidate with a CompTIA A+ce, CompTIA Network+ce, CompTIA Storage+ce, and CompTIA Security+ce. Please note candidates must have previously passed the exam(s) to earn the certification for it to be applicable as part of the CE program. No certification is granted through CE participation, only renewed."

HTH,
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^Just for clarification.

Is the above saying that earning the appropriate number of CE credits is the ONLY way to renew all of the lower level certs, and that you cannot just retake the highest cert exam, for example 1 month prior to expiration to get them all renewed?
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    jbimlerjbimler Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Short answer: No. If they exprire, they are expired.

"What happens if the program requirements aren’t met on or before the CE program expiration date?
    • There are no refunds of any previously collected fees.
    • No units will carry over from one CE program cycle to another.
    • If the certification held is a CE version (has an expiration date of 3 years from the date certified) it will expire. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the exam(s) needed to earn the certification again.
    • If the certification held is considered “certified for life” (was earned on or before 12/31/10) it will remain as is. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the exam(s) needed to earn the certification again."

However, if you participate in the CE program and renew the highest level cert, they are all renewed. Here's a quote from this page: CompTIA Continuing Education Program.
    "Individuals who hold multiple CompTIA certifications only need to pay the annual fees and earn CEUs for their highest level certification."

"If a candidate holds multiple CompTIA certifications are they required to renew each of them?"

"No. Candidates with multiple CompTIA certifications are encouraged to participate in CE at the highest level of certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Storage+, CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA CASP certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements for CompTIA CASP. Completion of CE for CompTIA CASP would renew the CompTIA CASP and also grant the candidate with a CompTIA A+ce, CompTIA Network+ce, CompTIA Storage+ce, and CompTIA Security+ce. Please note candidates must have previously passed the exam(s) to earn the certification for it to be applicable as part of the CE program. No certification is granted through CE participation, only renewed."

HTH,
    Thanks for the clarification. If I still need those certs whenever my last one is about to run out it's nice to know I can just take the Sec+ and they are all renewed.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zrockstar wrote: »

Logical thinking here. Why relearn something? I would take it to the house, Net +, CCENT, and CCNA. Then start looking for a networking gig.
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    TheCudder wrote: »
    ^^Just for clarification.

Is the above saying that earning the appropriate number of CE credits is the ONLY way to renew all of the lower level certs, and that you cannot just retake the highest cert exam, for example 1 month prior to expiration to get them all renewed?

Im wondering this as well.

In my case, I have A+ lifetime, about to get N+; could I just take Sec+ before N+ expires? That would put a CE on N+? What will happen to my lifetime A+? Then in before the Sec+ expires, could I renew N+ by taking the Sec+ again? Sorry, this whole CE thing confuses the hell out of me...

TIA