Options

Finally Caught a Break...

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
Well guys, I think I finally broke into the IT world. Started working at Staples as on Onsite Resident Technician last November, and while the job was fun, I hit a learning cap very quickly. On Monday I start a real job. icon_cool.gif I'll be working help desk for a company that designs insurance software and provides IT solutions to its clients. I was told being that it was a small company, I would get to experience a lot. After my 90 day trial period, if all goes well, I was told I would be participating in server migrations and setups, onsite calls, and other fun stuff. :) I'm pretty excited. I was also told it would a bonus if I could learn some programming (C# and .NET). So no more Staples for me. That job is pretty lame, and I would never suggest people take their computer there to be worked on. I literally had to break rules (and hope that I didn't get caught) just so I could get some ACTUAL experience. They use tools designed specifically for the "Easy Techs" by Norton and PC Doctor. Outside of these two vendors, I couldn't use any other tools. Problem was that the Norton software was for "PC Tune Ups" and the PC Doctor software was for hardware diags. So whenever a computer that was having other issues came in, I was told to tell the customer Windows had to be re-installed. Driver issues, file system corruption, bsods, things that could usually be fixed with the right now how. Well, this is where I broke the rules and got some experience while doing it. Glad I never got caught. In the 4 months that I've been there, I have only reloaded 2 computers. They were beyond repair (at least to my knowledge). So yeah, I'm done. Anyway, just wanted to brag a bit. icon_lol.gif
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job. That's awesome you might get to deal with server migrations and setups after the 90 days.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With your credentials, it's a good move up, keep the momentum going and don't stop learning!
    :twisted:
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man. onwards and upwards.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    bud08bud08 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Glad you found something better.
    4_lom wrote: »
    So no more Staples for me. That job is pretty lame, and I would never suggest people take their computer there to be worked on. I literally had to break rules (and hope that I didn't get caught) just so I could get some ACTUAL experience. They use tools designed specifically for the "Easy Techs" by Norton and PC Doctor. Outside of these two vendors, I couldn't use any other tools. Problem was that the Norton software was for "PC Tune Ups" and the PC Doctor software was for hardware diags. So whenever a computer that was having other issues came in, I was told to tell the customer Windows had to be re-installed. Driver issues, file system corruption, bsods, things that could usually be fixed with the right now how. Well, this is where I broke the rules and got some experience while doing it. Glad I never got caught. In the 4 months that I've been there, I have only reloaded 2 computers. They were beyond repair (at least to my knowledge). So yeah, I'm done. Anyway, just wanted to brag a bit. icon_lol.gif

I was offered an easy tech job at Staples. They would only pay me minimum wage. They also said I had to spend most of my time on the floor selling the computers even though I had the technical background. The manager admitted that the current resident "tech" she wouldn't trust to fix her own computer, but he was the assistant manager and didn't want to do sales anymore. I would basically just check his work and stay on the sales floor and phones. Staples should just shut down their easy tech section. I was so glad to turn them down.