Options

Certification Priorities

fishiesrockfishiesrock Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

This is my first post, but I've been a long time lurker - the community here has helped me earn all of my certifications so far, so I'm hoping for a little advice on setting priorities.

I am looking at three options, each equally interesting to me, but I need to focus on one to get it done right now.

1. Continue earning MCITP:SA - I have completed 70-642, and I am about halfway through 70-640 (the MS Press book and James Conrad's CBT Nuggest series), and I have not started 70-646. My shop is a mix of 2003 and 2008, but all new deployments are 2008 R2.

2. Finish earning CCNA: I have passed ICND1, but I have not really thrown myself into ICND2. There is definitely a need in my office for the skillset CCNA represents though.

3. Begin CASP: I have just started preparing for CASP. Over the years I have picked up a decent amount of practical security experience, but I haven't really been able to easily express that on my resume. I've looked at the requirements and some study materials for CASP, and it seems to fit really well, and I'm moving through the material pretty quickly. We are also moving towards ISO certification at the office, so this might help me be more valuable as a team member.

So far I have evaluated it like this:

MCITP since we are basically a 2008 shop and 80% of my time is spent administering 2008 servers.
CCNA because there is a need for that level of expertise, in light of current networking projects, e.g. MPLS rollout.
CASP because I know I can bring value to the ISO certification project, and hey, that'd look nice on my resume, wouldn't it?

So, what do you guys and gals think?

JT

Comments

• Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a well-thought plan. It meets your job goals while advancing your career achievements (puts bullets on your resume) so I say go for it. I haven't looked at the CASP exclusively but have seen a general consensus here and other sites pushing the SSCP over the CASP as they cover similar ground but SSCP holds more name recognition right now. Have you looked into that as well? It may be something to think about.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would pass on the CASP. Like Ahi said it lacks recognition. The SSCP would be a great step and come june you will be able to take it through VUE testing centers from the looks of things. No more paper tests. As for the next step I would personally stick with the Microsoft studies while those things are still fresh in your mind and because the 70-642 & 640 have some overlap.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would do them in the order you posted. Finish SA, then CCNA, then do SSCP as the others said. You can think about CASP eventually, but SSCP will have more value for you right now.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, all. I think I will probably finish SA and then complete my CCNA.

I guess the question I have about SSCP vs CASP is, do you see any value in being an early adopter? Just to toss it out there for discussion, does earning the credential and performing quality work afterwards lend legitimacy to the credential, or is CompTIA simply going to have to lobby for better recognition? I think I know the answer to this unfortunately, but I wonder what you guys think.

I've looked into SSCP and am very interested - I even have an ISC2 sponsor lined up for that leg of the journey, so I will likely take this route regardless. I didn't know it was going to VUE, so that's a plus as well.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Unless you are going to be using a contractor/business partner for the architecture and etc. to rollout MPLS, someone correct me if I'm wrong, CCNA level knowledge isn't going to cut it since MPLS is covered in CCIP.

How much experience do you currently have? If you have 5 years exp (or 4 years exp+BA or certain certifications) I would recommend CISSP instead of CASP. It's highly recognized and will show you have a general understanding of the entire security picture.
  • Options
    Ah, I think my example gave the wrong impression. It was meant to indicate reasonably complex network growth, which would demonstrate a need for me grow along with it. It was not meant to indicate that I would be the implementer for an actual MPLS solution - that's beyond the scope of this thread :)

I definitely have enough years in to cover the CISSP requirements, but I am a technical actor, not really a policy maker. From what I've read (and from CISSPs I've talked to) that credential isn't going to serve me as well as SSCP or the like. Maybe down the road, but those are long term goals.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    You have four years of verifiable security experience? CISSP should definitely be your goal, but yes, the others, even SSCP, make more sense for right now. But to do security work, CISSP is the standard and it will help you regardless of how technical your role might be.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're closer to getting CCNA vs. SA.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are half way close to CCNA so; finish the ICDN2 because the longer you wait it will be harder attaining the material. Then, wrap up with Microsoft certs since you use 08" on a daily which can be easy and maybe later on push on for the CISSP. The CISSP security cert is on the same level of CCIE so; it would be an great cert to have.
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    You're closer to getting CCNA vs. SA.
    Somehow I missed that.

I'm going to disagree with past me and agree with dave here. Finish up CCNA since you already have ICND1.
  • Options
    Thanks guys - I hadn't considered going for CCNA while the information is (mostly) fresh on my mind. I will consider CISSP as I go - it might be an easier decision to make as the company's needs change. Thanks again, I appreciate everybody's input.