Options

Suggestions Guys

jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
I have been on my new job for about 2 months and I feel like i'm basically teaching the Systems Admin and Guys that have been in the company for so long how to use Microsoft Technologies. Should I be teaching them - "Job Security"? I need you guys suggestions.

Thanks
James

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Nobody is going to know everything about every MS product. While I'm sure you know more about some of it than they do, do you feel like you know more about everything than they do?

At the company I work for we teach each other new things all the time and it makes for a really great team dynamic. One of us is always able to get a task done and the rest of the team gets to expand their knowledge through this.

My suggestion would be to keep working with them instead of trying to compete against them. If you really do know that much more then you should be able to move up fairly quick.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I agree, just keep working hard and try to learn from each other. If they have been at the company for a long time, they have obviously been contributing something positive. Find out what that is and take it in.

@Akaricloud - Kind of off topic, but I was just in Covington the other day visiting a friend. We went down to the Ram at Kent Station, nice little area.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be as nice as you can about everything and willing to share knowledge. Don't be condescending and learn what you can from your peers, technical or not.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Teach them and share, but make sure you get noticed as you do. Also, as others have said, try to learn from them as well. A previous member here used to point out that well rounded technologists seem to accomplish the most.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    Teach them and share, but make sure you get noticed as you do. Also, as others have said, try to learn from them as well. A previous member here used to point out that well rounded technologists seem to accomplish the most.

The issue is i'm not getting noticed for what i'm doing. It seems like when they need GPO issue resolve, they call me to fix it because the Sys Admin guy can't figure it out. I have came up with solutions to issues that no one could fix. Also, I think they are just coming to me to get as much knowledge as they could and later they won't need me. I am just confused if i should still keep showing or teaching people how to use MS technology.

Thanks
  • Options
    They don't want to work with me because they think i'm a threat. The are novell guys and i have been working with windows for a long time.
  • Options
    How should I get noticed? Pls, explain or give example.

thanks
    James
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    When you give solutions, try documenting them, and sending to both the other Admins and the Managers. I wouldn't do anything overly obvious, but maybe try writing up KB articles on what your doing and offer those up to management in reference to what the other Admins have been asking about. Maybe even suggest a KB within your facility for the other Admins to reference, then their knowledge can be shared as well. Ultimately, sharing knowledge will make you a go-to and an SME as opposed them memorizing your craft GPO settings and rendering you useless. However if you're really feeling that the environment is just hostile, then another course of action might be in order.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    They don't want to work with me because they think i'm a threat. The are novell guys and i have been working with windows for a long time.

What makes you think that? -If your coworkers honestly don't want to work with you then I'd suggest talking to management or moving on.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    What makes you think that? -If your coworkers honestly don't want to work with you then I'd suggest talking to management or moving on.

Whenever I try to give suggestions, they tend to shut it down. They only need me to fix stuff they don't know. I'm at the point that I really don't have to show them anymore.
  • Options
    It seems like the guy I have been teaching how to use scom, is now working on a project we were suppose to be working on together. I really think that he doesn't need me anymore.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I don't know. It's possible you may be right. It's also possible that by investing time teaching and getting to know your coworker you will come to trust one another. You have to make a choice. Either you trust that things will work out and try your best to become effective coworkers or you don't trust them and you fix things showing them very little. If you choose the latter, I would encourage you to have a backup position should you feel the need to move on.
  • Options
    I don't know. It's possible you may be right. It's also possible that by investing time teaching and getting to know your coworker you will come to trust one another. You have to make a choice. Either you trust that things will work out and try your best to become effective coworkers or you don't trust them and you fix things showing them very little. If you choose the latter, I would encourage you to have a backup position should you feel the need to move on.

I have decided to teach a little bit but not everything that I know. They don't want to show me anything but expect me to teach them what I know.