Options

Questions about IT project work and consultant status

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Quick question or questions :)

Let's say you are a project consultant for a service provider and you are on the roles as a billable consultant. Yet 3 weeks go by and no work, no billed work. You are in communications with your boss, but you are not providing efforts. Then all the sudden you are asked to perform some work, some analysis and documentation. You efforts are paid hourly and then you are back off for a few week. Rinse lather repeat. Then you get on a project for 1 year back off again and then some one off work, then back on a project.

Well this is basically how it has been for me since joining this projectized service provider.

How do you list that on your resume? Can I keep a contiguous range of time on my resume or is that viewed as unethical or poor practice? Sometimes I can go 1 month without any work then bam, "can you please draft up a high-level workflow document processing out how the new service desk is going to flow. Here is some information, please make this happen".

Here is the kicker. The procurement team and the PMO are meeting with one of our high-level directors about signing some formal documentation to initate the project. I assume a charter, but it might just be the SOW at this point. Either way it seems like some traction is being made. Well what if they swing back and leverage me for some of the projects activities? Example creating some of the project supporting documentation and coming up with a best practice summary for the stakeholders utilizing ITIL best practices. Would I have to create another block of employment with the same company and service provide who is hiring me?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong and need to come up with a project summarized resume instead. Just wondering.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ask and you may receive

I asked my boss what I should do about this particular situation since we are off and on so much. He said just claim 5 hours a week billable and that way I am officially on the roles and can keep my experience block intact and not have to explain jumping on and off projects.

WHEEEW