Options

Studying and picking out the details

sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for the Network+ exam for the past month or so with the Sybex Book by Todd Lammle. I have scheduled a date in April to take the exam and decided to check my current progress through a practice test. One of the questions asked what are the 3 non-overlapping 2.4Ghz channels. My book didn't exactly point out that I should remember the 3 channels (1,6,11). I noticed in the Exam essentials area of the Wireless Network chapter of my book that it did mention to know that 802.11b runs in the 2.4GHz range and has three non-overlapping channels. It never mentioned to know what those channels were. But I guess I need to get ALL of the details of these Exam essentials items if I expect to pass. I know he can't tell you the exam questions but through these hints at the end of the chapter, he is letting you know what you better study in detail.

Does anyone else have any study tips to help me pick out these details to be prepared for the exam. My current plan is to go back through the Exam essential areas at the end of each chapter and make sure I have ALL of the facts down for each item. I want to know the material inside and out to be prepared. I'm afraid that these little details will stump me if I don't watch out.

Any advice on how to study more effectively would be helpful. With a 2yr old, I typically study at night and I want to make the most of it. I've also found the Professor Messor videos extremely helpful.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    The Network+ has a lot of information and as with any certification, it's good to have more than one source so that you can get different perspectives. It sounds like you are using different sources, and they are helping you fill in some details.

One other thing you may want to consider is to download the objectives PDF file and look through it. At this point most of it should be familiar. A quick search shows that "channels" is mentioned in the 2.2 and 3.3 objectives section. Wireless overall is covered in several sections: 2.2, 2.4, 3.3, 5.1, and 5.4 and you can expect to see many questions related to wireless (not just 802.11b).

As a quick check, you should be able to identify the four primary wireless standards, their speeds, and frequencies. Additionally, you should be able to identify the methods used to secure a wireless network and the basic differneces between them. There are easily a dozen questions that can be asked related to this knowledge.

HTH,
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Sixtyten,

The way I do the studying goes like this:

I personally go chapter-by-chapter <perhaps as the author intented> I read a paragraph then read it again in an attempt to illicit the pertinent points. I then grab my highlighter and begin to highlight what I believe to be the important points. After this, I transcribe these points in MS Word to my lappy and then read all of the content I just compiled from the chapter I read.

Then I go and do the practice exam from the same textbook, checking my results will then determine my next move, obviously if I am not really grasping the topics I will complete further research via my other text books, google - (although be careful what and who you believe with what’s on the net?)… and various other resources.

More specifically, I always purchase at least two, or even three books on the same cert or subject matter just for good cross reference. I tend to use them along side my choosen main text to increase my exposure to the subject matter.

It is difficult to ascertain what points to note and not! This seems to be a skill that comes with practice, and perhaps a few rounds of the practice exams will soon enough let you know what you should pay more attention too. I don't know that there are any hard and fast answers for this one, I sometimes imagine that if I were writting the exam, "what points about this topic should I test?" Then it more or less becomes apparent soon enough after a few tries at some practice exams.

No doubt we all have different learning and input modes, (sounds like a bloody computer!!) and what works for some may not for others. This is the technique I use and it has done me well so far.

I would recommend that you do as many practice exams as possible, perhaps at a minimum, this may allow you to deduce any weaknesses in your knowledge of the exam topics listed in the exam objectives.

As for the answer to your question regarding three non-overlapping channels?

As far as I know, it sounds like the 802.11b standard, I can’t say whether this is right or not, I am nowhere near as qualified or experienced as others on this forum. One thing I am happy to offer however, is my notes on the wireless standards, I have kept them basic and you are welcome to use them if this helps.

802.11.pdf

When I did my Network+, I used the Anthony V. Chiarella text <CompTIA Network+> and also the Exam Cram, the objectives and content have perhaps changed since 2007, but these did get me through. I suggest you find authors you like, know their writting style and relate to their tutilage, if you are self-studying (as have I for all of mine), I believe you need good qaulity material that works for you.

I hope this is helpful.
    Steve
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I found the Exam Cram book to be the best one for the Network+.
    On every exam, there seem to be questions that weren't covered in the books.
    I just use several sources of material and make notes of questions that weren't covered, and use those as another source.
  • Options
    sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips! I need to work on my certification study habits. quinnyfly, thanks for sharing your method for studying. I really like how you go over a topic twice and take the major points into a Word doc. I also think using the practice tests as a way to quiz myself after each chapter will be helpful. I typically have gone chapter to chapter without quizzing myself. Your method will ensure that I know the material before moving on.

Thanks again everyone! :D