Bodog Domain Seized by Government

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Uncle Sam: If It Ends in .Com, It's .Seizable | Threat Level | Wired.com

Who needs SOPA? It seems like the basic argument is that any TL domain name is subject to US jurisdiction.

Comments

• coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Uncle Sam: If It Ends in .Com, It's .Seizable | Threat Level | Wired.com

Who needs SOPA? It seems like the basic argument is that any TL domain name is subject to US jurisdiction.

I agree! Thanks for the link.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bodog has been working under the domain brolada.lv for a while now.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    That's ok, a couple more mistakes like this, and folks will start waking up to the fact that modern DNS implementations are broken. It was never meant to exist on the scale it does. The designers got it half right, the database is distributed so no single failure can completely take it down, but they whiffed on the decentralized part.

I'd much rather a model like BGP, where multiple independent entities distribute the DNS information, and the only thing centralized is the actual registration of the name.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's ok, a couple more mistakes like this, and folks will start waking up to the fact that modern DNS implementations are broken. It was never meant to exist on the scale it does. The designers got it half right, the database is distributed so no single failure can completely take it down, but they whiffed on the decentralized part.

I'd much rather a model like BGP, where multiple independent entities distribute the DNS information, and the only thing centralized is the actual registration of the name.

It goes much deeper than DNS, it attacks the heart of name registration. If you register a .com name through a foreign registrar you are still subject to US jurisdiction. This means if you run a gambling site in a foreign country (hosted out side of the US) just the fact that you have a .com address is enough to make you subject to US law. It's not just that the domain name was seized, it's also that indictments were handed down for the people operating the site (who I believe were not breaking any laws in Canada).