Options

I need your help, please drop me an advice..

samarusamaru Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a 22 year old Sri Lankan, currently reading BSc. in Management Information Systems (MIS), University College of Dublin on my 3rd year.

The thing is, in the middle of the process, (first two years) i had to take classes that did not interest me at all, like programming, Database etc. i was pushed to take this Degree by my parents (and i do not blame them at all for that), but it is just that i always score As for management like subject like econ, accounts etc. ( infact those are the only subjects i have A grades for.)

What i want to know is since i'm an year away from my graduation, is there any chance that i can angle my path from just "IT" into a more "Managerial" like one? (with the use of my Degree). I enjoy learning those subjects so i do believe that i would be better off with a future career which i will enjoy rather than just do to earn money.

And i am being forced to take a job with my country's economy is embroiling day by day.

please help me, any job title i should work on, any certification i have to acquire, please let me know.

Thanks for reading everybody.

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know of any managers that started their career right in management unless they started their own company.

If you want to manage, what type of function do you want to manage? Being a manger is one thing but being a leader that's repected takes hard work and experience.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you don't want to work in IT, don't try. While many IT professionals branch off into management, I would say few start a successful career in management by starting an unsuccessful one in IT.

Keep in mind, the computer science courses you've taken for your MIS degree actually do not relate much the to day-to-day responsibilities of an IT infrastructure professional or an IT manager. Programmers program and DBAs (often programmers or former programmers) handle the databases. Traditional degrees do not teach the technical skills used by an systems or network professional. Many successful IT professionals hate programming -- if that is the only thing hindering you, don't let it. On the other hand, if IT's truly not your interest, don't let pressure from anyone get you into that degree. Switch to a management or business degree. You will find another path to success.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340